46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: game recommendation for 5 year old daughter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amanda K
msg tools
I'm looking for a game to play with my 5 year old daughter that isn't too boring for me and my husband.. (there is only so much candyland we can handle).

She is decidedly feminine and currently will not play something that she thinks is for boys (so soldiers, robots, superheroes are likely to be rejected). For example, she has played Frozen themed memory, go fish, crazy 8s. She was not interested in Trouble until we found it with Shopkins characters.

She does not read yet but is very logical for a 5 yr old and likes numbers.

I'm hoping to find a cute/pretty game that is fun to play for us as a family, that has educational value. Basically something frilly on the outside to hook her, but substantial on the inside to make her think.. she's smart.

Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it's still in print, but it looks like there are copies here on BGG available, so I'd recommend Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus. It's not super-thoughtful, but it's playable by a 5 year old, it includes cute plastic cats and dogs, and it's way more fun than candyland. My kids loved it at that age, we played it until the cards were completely worn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda K
msg tools
ooh, something like that might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A la carte - very cute game about cooking. It even has tiny pans and stovetops!

Animal Upon Animal - stacking game, is almost universally a hit with small kids.

Cardline: Animals - put animals in order of size. Simple but teaches the concept of a number line and greater than/less than.

Rory's Story Cubes - we play this as a non-competitive story-telling game where each player rolls a die and continues the story based on the die roll.

Wonky - another good block stacking game.

Also look into the Tales & Games series to see if any might be a good fit. The listed ages are a little older if I recall correctly, but your daughter might be able to play some of them with some assistance.

Don't know how educational all of these are, but there are certainly aspects of each that will make children think strategically, which IMO promotes problem-solving skills, i.e. "this is your goal, so how do you achieve it with the tools available to you?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schulte

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think she would grasp splendor? its pretty light and it has tactile movement to it.
I also have to say that alpaca pacapaca might work its a simple card game and has some great pictures, and who doesn't like lamas with mustaches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilikemydog wrote:
I'm looking for a game to play with my 5 year old daughter that isn't too boring for me and my husband.. (there is only so much candyland we can handle).

She is decidedly feminine and currently will not play something that she thinks is for boys (so soldiers, robots, superheroes are likely to be rejected). For example, she has played Frozen themed memory, go fish, crazy 8s. She was not interested in Trouble until we found it with Shopkins characters.

She does not read yet but is very logical for a 5 yr old and likes numbers.

I'm hoping to find a cute/pretty game that is fun to play for us as a family, that has educational value. Basically something frilly on the outside to hook her, but substantial on the inside to make her think.. she's smart.

Suggestions?

My daughter is also 5. When she was 4, she was absolutely addicted to Unicorns in the Cloud, although she seems to have outgrown it a bit. Right now, she very much enjoys My First Stone Age, Dino Race, and (against everything I believe in game-wise) Sorry. If your daughter likes Candyland, Dino Race is a great next step, mechanics-wise. It also has super-cute baby dinosaur figures that my daughter loves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Meeple
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Kakerlakak, i guess she will love it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Day
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sleeping Queens
Mermaid Beach if you can find a copy. I had to sleeve our second copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fletcher
msg tools
Sleeping Queens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafi B
msg tools
My daughter is 5. Here are a few games that tick your criteria:

- Unicorn Glitterluck: Roll and move game. Not particularly strategic (but at least won't last forever a la Candyland, Chutes/Ladders, etc), but nice components and ticks all the boxes in terms of theme you're looking for. Look at other HABA games. They have a whole spectrum of games aimed at girls, boys and both which are all quite good in their own way. Minds is excellent and my daughter likes it, despite the racing theme.

- Sleeping Queens: neat card game, although has some competitive elements that may induce tantrums depending on temperament. We modified the rules to use adjacent numbers rather than the math equation in the rules.

- Takenoko: much more strategic game that's aimed at adults rather than kids. But it's a flippin Panda! At first we had to play with the rules a bit (ignores the tile attributes, ignored water ducts), but I was shocked how quickly my daughter caught on - we're slowly introducing other elements. Warning: the expansion is a girl panda. I found out the hard way it's not pretty to show the expansion but not buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
UNO Attack! or UNO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandan Parsons
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Pengoloo -- always my first recommendation for kids 4-8 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ginsbu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
My 4 y.o. daughter loves Patchwork. Not aimed at kids specifically and two player only, but a really excellent game. Quilting theme.

Among kids games, she's enjoyed a number of the co-ops from Peaceable Kingdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Splendor and Takenoko. Those were among the first few games I taught to the little girl in the household. The gems in Splendor are very appealing to her, and so is the panda from Takenoko.

Forbidden island could also be good as it has the attractive treasure pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule!

It does involve reading, but my understanding is that kids are able to figure out which words rhyme without really being able to read yet. (My kids were both super-young readers so I haven't tried it with a non-reader.) And it has fairies in it, which is a plus for little girls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda K
msg tools
Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions!

While you all were typing responses, I took my daughter to the store to choose a game. She Saw the box for the card game Sushi Go and said "those are Shopkin sushi" (Shopkins are collectible plastic groceries wkth faces)..

I bought Sushi Go and played with her...she caught on well despite not knowing how to multiply and keep track of score. She did have a few meltdowns when I sabotaged her plans. There were many tears shed and "YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN NICER, I'm a KID!" Maybe I should have been nicer. All she wanted was the most Pudin.

She wants to play it again tomorrow.. With Daddy too.

I'm definitely going to look at all pf your suggestions and save for later.. Looks like we have some sushi go work ahead..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda K
msg tools
Splendor would be too hard I think...I haven't played Alpaca pakapaka but just looked it up and it looks wonderful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about recommending Sushi Go! but didn't think it would work that well since the scoring can be a bit convoluted for that age (our 6 year old still struggles with the set collection aspect of the tempura and sashimi as well as not loading up on too much pudding). Glad it's a hit with your girl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda K
msg tools
3 people so far mentioned Sleeping Queens. I'm definitely going to look it up.

I think we have a unicorn glittluck app and another haba app.. She likes them, but I'm looking for something a bit less luck oriented.

Takenoko also looks like a good choice.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Make that four for sleeping queens. My daughter got it for her sixth birthday and loves it.

Her next favourite game is probably Forbidden Desert. She also likes Survive: Escape from Atlantis (although she prefers to play a cop-op variant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Cardline: Animals and I'll add Dixit. I play these games with kids as young as 4 as well as grown ups and they're fun for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Takenoko is too hard for a 5 year old.

If I were you, I would take a look at the game that won children's game of the year this year My First Stone Age. Wonderful game for kids and the components are the best I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda K
msg tools
We only played one full game, and there were lots of tantrums so I'm not sure that it's a hit yet. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. It's only a recent thing that we can play pure luck games like War without total anguish when things don't go well. We went the cooperative game route (hoot owl hoot) for a bit but she likes competitive games better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilikemydog wrote:
We only played one full game, and there were lots of tantrums so I'm not sure that it's a hit yet. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. It's only a recent thing that we can play pure luck games like War without total anguish when things don't go well. We went the cooperative game route (hoot owl hoot) for a bit but she likes competitive games better.

Curious to know why you think there wasn't much anguish with War, trying to temper my sons' feelings when playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.