4,747 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've recently acquired this expansion and have read elsewhere that the new rules can be applied to the core game, is this correct? If so would it be better for me to play the core Napoleonic's game using the original rules or use these instead or a combination?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are some new rules in this expansion that are fairly minor in effect, Grand Battery, garrisons that can be played or not.

The significant part of the expansion is a new Tactics Deck, complemented with a new Command deck. If you use the new Tactics Deck, you pretty much need to use the new Command Deck (90 card, or the reduced 75 card deck). Using the Tactics cards with the old Command deck would be awkward.

There are rules to integrate the Tactics cards into all existing official scenarios, including the core game. The Tactics cards are a major change to the game, significantly enhancing leaders, so I'd tend to play with these cards from the outset, rather than learn the old card rules, and then swap to the new card rules.

Most of the Expansion 5 scenarios require Russian, Prussian and Austrian units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
As this will be my first time ever playing the series, do you suggest just going with the first game initially and treating the extras from this expansion like they don't exist or start playing with the new decks straight away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I talked to Richard Borg, he mentioned that his group always use the GMT decks rather than the standard command deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Brennan
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are new to the Commands & Colors series, I'd start with the base game. Play a couple of games with the base rules, to get a feel for how the game system works. The Generals & Marshals rules don't add much complexity, but they do add some. If you're new to the game, you should also check out the C&C: Napoleonics web site: http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...

I think you have played M'44 before?

If you haven't played and of the C&C games before, I'd probably start with just the basic core set.

If you have played any other C&C game, for example M'44 and particularly with he Combat Cards from the Sword of Stalingrad expansion or the Winter cards? then I'd suggest the new Command and Tactics cards.

My general recommendation is one of the Bussaco scenarios, and the basic Command deck as an initial game, and see how complex you find it.

http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/maps/peninsular...
http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/maps/peninsular...

Once you get the hang of the unit types, I'd step up to the Tactics Deck reasonably quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Kent and Thom for those suggestions.

Mark yes I've played quite a bit now of Battlecry and the core Memoir 44 game and know my way around them very well.

I reckon the best way to go is with the core set and get to know it really well before adding the GMT deck, so at least I'll be able to appreciate the difference.

Another question when putting the stickers onto the blocks do most of you use glue, because with the flags in Battlecry I had to use glue on them in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
had no problems with stickers on blocks in any of the C&C games. Never needed glue or any other adhesive. The BC flags were odd, but not representative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.