tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah. I have fun whether I win or lose. I enjoy the tension of trying to win but I'm perfectly happy win or lose. My wife is a perfect gaming partner in this way. She really wants to win, she tries really hard, and then at the end she's happy whoever wins. (Ok, maybe a smidgen happier when she wins, but why not?)

I don't like playing with people who don't try to win. However, I'm not thrilled with playing with hyper competitive sore losers either. (Of the two, I guess I'll take the sore losers, but it's close.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

I don't like playing with people who don't try to win. However, I'm not thrilled with playing with hyper competitive sore losers either. (Of the two, I guess I'll take the sore losers, but it's close.)

I'm the guy that acts all "how cares who wins?!?" but secretly I'm plotting and planning to crush everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Accepting our shared, unavoidable loss is just a sign of maturity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm not a very competitive person, I don't care if I win. but, lets be honest, it's always more fun if you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Nah. I have fun whether I win or lose. I enjoy the tension of trying to win but I'm perfectly happy win or lose. My wife is a perfect gaming partner in this way. She really wants to win, she tries really hard, and then at the end she's happy whoever wins. (Ok, maybe a smidgen happier when she wins, but why not?)

Same. I really enjoy RPG's so gaming as a whole is about the journey for me, in more common words I just enjoy playing the games win or lose. In saying that all the people I game with are people I enjoy spending time with in any event so that factors in.

We play to win, but that's a bonus on top of the fun of playing the games in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Crappy Knizia quote in 3...2...1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

"My games are all about abstract counting". That one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

"The road is straight but the slope is steep."

"Thank you for showing us that the victory isn't easy, that it is won stable after stable, town after town."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, games are not "more fun" if I win. I always try to win, because that's the goal of the game, and I enjoy winning, but to me the fact of the win or the loss is something abstracted from the process of, and the pleasure in, playing the game - it's just the thing that happens at the end, a brief moment of satisfaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That would make gaming painful for everyone minus one person on the table.

People keep playing, though, so... It's about just more than winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
I game for fun and play to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" - Reiner Knizia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" - Reiner Knizia

"You're a wizard, Harry" - Reiner Knizia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
It's about having a lot of fun losing. Since, after all, most people lose in most games.

And that's why Monopoly is such an awful game. Only the winner enjoys themselves.

And why Knizia games are so marvellous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's different for different folks. I'm pretty good at games so I win them a lot. I find however that winning strategies are rarely *fun* strategies. There's no real fun in winning a go kart race using a porsche. I find much more fun can be derived for myself from a game by taking a goal or strategy that is not specifically about maximizing points, and making it win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, a game is fun to play against your friends/family. And I have fun whether winning or losing. I just "More" fun, when I win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Yeah, I guess it kinda matters who your playing against... Like, if it's you wife, some times you might wanna let her win..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Yeah, I guess it kinda matters who your playing against... Like, if it's you wife, some times you might wanna let her win..

Never!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
Legomancer wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

"You're a wizard, Harry" - Reiner Knizia

"Let the wookiee win." - Reiner Knizia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent collection of Reiner Knizia's wisdom:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As somebody that's played plenty of solo/co-op games that suffer from "screwed-by-the-dice" syndrome, I can sympathize with the image, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
The missing word from the picture is "everybody". as in...

"It's about everybody having fun".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember what Vince Lombardi said..."If you lose, you're out of the family."

Pete (plays for the win)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.