Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roderick Chapman
England
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would a simultaneous dice roll by blocks with same letters avoid the in built bias towards the defenders present in several of the block games, notably Richard III.

Alternatively, use a battle board like Bobby Lee and Napoleon. This would slow the game but for large battles might be worth investigating.

I would add the rules for cavalry are good and straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
There is simultaneous rolling if the attacker has played the Commander Takes the Initiative card. I regard this as quite a powerful card, as it can make a significant difference to the combat. I think that if simultaneous rolling were adopted as a general rule, then this would give an in built bias - though a less powerful one - towards the attacker, as it the attacker who largely determines the nature of the battle (where it is fought, what borders were used to attack). My main worry, however, would be that the game can already be quite bloody. If there was more of an incentive to attack, then there would be more battles and greater loss of blocks - this would upset the current rate of attrition in the game, which I think largely reflects the that of the actual war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a battle board is something for the publisher to decide as it would an extra component. Also, it depends on the size of the map. The current playtest map is a little over-sized - a smaller map might make some of the areas too small for large battles, and thus make a battle board a more attractive addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.