Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
I've got nothing up my sleeves
mbmbmbmbmb
So I love card games, especially 2-player competitive ones. I've bought or tried Ashes, Summoner Wars, Android: Netrunner, Doomtown: Reloaded. I love the category, though obviously I don't have time for all of these. So when I saw this game on clearance, I picked it up on a whim. My expectations were not super high. It's a crowded field, after all.

But I loved it! Playing this game has reminded me that games don't need to be dripping with theme, covered in chrome, or take about an hour to play, in order to be good. Now, don't get me wrong, I obviously LIKE all these things, but sometimes you just want to play a really good quick card game, you know?

The forehead-smack moment for me was introducing this to my wife. "Oh," she said, "this is actually a game that I can like." Yeah, I didn't realize how much wife-gaming I had been missing out on, because I had been focusing on the heavier 2-player games (EDIT: She likes games well enough, but long turns and complicated rules are just not her thing). But this isn't light! It's probably one of the most satisfying 30-minute games I own, and it's super-portable and easy to teach. It's a great way to introduce the hobby to 1 or 2 people, on the spot.

That Knizia. I thought I knew about his games, but then BAM I stumble across a 10-year-old, 2-player, customizable card game. Probably one of my best finds this year. I'm hooked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Leblanc
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon is great! There is a reason it passed the test of time and was reissued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Although I myself may lean toward the "heavier" contenders within this genre, the great thing about Blue Moon Legends is that it feels different enough from the competition to stand out. There's a certain elegance in its simplicity, and the game is just... fun (and what's more important than that?). Ha.

I'd highly recommend Blue Moon Legends to anyone that's a fan of the 2player "battling" card genre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
I've got nothing up my sleeves
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperMike3288 wrote:
Although I myself may lean toward the "heavier" contenders within this genre, the great thing about Blue Moon Legends is that it feels different enough from the competition to stand out. There's a certain elegance in its simplicity, and the game is just... fun (and what's more important than that?). Ha.

I'd highly recommend Blue Moon Legends to anyone that's a fan of the 2player "battling" card genre!

You've taken the words right out of my mouth. Like you I lean towards heavier games... but most people I know do not! When I realized just how great the game is and how easy to show off, I had to ask myself, "Why are you trying so hard to get into these other games?" Did I mention I ALSO have Yomi and BattleCON? It's ridiculous! But I love them all!

But yeah, I'm actually (obviously?) looking to trim my 2-player collection, partly because of what Blue Moon is showing me. I have to tell myself, "Self, you don't have to own every game you enjoy! Keep the games that are fun and that you can actually PLAY!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it would deserve a small expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timm Sch
msg tools
mb
Blue Moon becomes great when you delve into deckbuilding. :-)

And yeah: Expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.