BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Are Deck Building Games fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Player Red
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've played Cryptozoic games (LOTR and DC), and they were "meh".

Some times it was cool, like having a strong hand and buying an expensive card, but otherwise it was just okay. There was also very little interaction with others. Someone described DB games as "multiplayer solitaire".

If there were no good cards to buy, there wasn't much to do. That's boring.

How can a DB compete with Summoner Wars, which is fun all the time? Or Specter Ops, King of Tokyo, or Batman: Love Letter?

Teach me please. I want to understand.
Player Red

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Valley of the Kings: Afterlife. It's a little box, doesn't cost much. It's deck building, deck trimming, and do-bad-things-to-your-opponent, though not too bad. Really a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noneya Bidness
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
Try Shadowrun: Crossfire very, very coop. Also Sentinels of the Multiverse. Also coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the primary problem is that you played the Cryptozoic deckbuilders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not all games are for everybody. Deck building follows the same principal, just different systems and/or the way of doing things.

I personally just like them, my wife loves them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends if you like Deck Building games. Sorry that's a bit flippant I can't imagine any deck building game being much like King of Tokyo (but maybe I'm wrong).

Star Realms is a space combat deck builder. I think it's fun but you might not. However you can download a free app and try it before you commit to buying the game. It can sometimes feel a little like there isn't much player interaction despite the theme. Part of the player interaction that wasn't obvious at first (to me at least) is denying your opponent good cards either by buying them yourself, getting rid of them from the trade row or by not buying anything and leaving a bunch of rubbish for them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally my deck builder of choice is Arctic Scavengers, because it has a hard time limit (you play X rounds), it has a forced-interaction with other players each round, and it has a hard limit on "cycling" each turn.

You play ~14 rounds (I vary this so we get an even number of rounds per player), and at the end of each one whichever cards you haven't-used to do your other actions goes off into a "skirmish" with all the other players, where the one who brings the most combat strength gets a reward from a special reward deck. So you're forced to decide with your hand whether you're going to gather more resources, hire people, or participate in the skirmish at the end of the round.

Also, it only lets you do each action ONCE. So you can't cycle your whole deck every turn, it's just not possible. This adds to the feeling of scarcity the game is trying to evoke, which makes it quite thematic. You only have these 5 cards this turn. Are you going to look for supplies, recruit more tribe members, or hold your strength back and try to fight for that unknown loot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Nightfall; it was made with player interaction in mind. Prices have gotten pretty low too meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
Deckbuilding isn't just a discrete genre these days, but a mechanic that's being employed in a lot of different ways. DC Deck Builder, Dominion, Mage Knight, and A Few Acres of Snow are all "deck building games", but they really stake out distinct territories. I'd suggest that you try some stuff that's not essentially the same game, and see if anything tickles your fancy.

But as a word of advice if you're planning on hanging around here, games are subjective, and running up on us saying, "This isn't fun!" is a good way to start a neverending (and useless) thread. All you'll get is a bunch of people saying, "I hate it" and other people saying "I like it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Player Red
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yeah. I'm not trying to criticize it. I just don't understand why they are so popular. Maybe it's me. Or Maybe there are better DB games. I don't play board games as often as I would like, so it's kind of a waste if a game is dud. I'm honestly open to whatever suggestions you have.

I liked Xenoshyft. Unfortunately, it's way too complicated for my friends. The random starting cards made it frustrating when you have crappy items. It would have balanced out if we were competing, but in a co op game it's just a randomized handicap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stahr
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayerRedDiceBoy wrote:
The random starting cards made it frustrating when you have crappy items.

That's one reason why I am a huge Dominion fan, everybody starts off with the same 10 cards and you all forge ahead from there. It becomes a strategy collision right from the start; and with all of the expansions (Dominion: Empires just arrived today! ), you have a great variety in how easy or complex you want the game to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO if you like shuffling cards a lot they're great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as they are fast, the moment someone takes too long or cycles their entire deck with combos is when they are no longer fun for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay away from Cryptozoic and you should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayerRedDiceBoy wrote:

Some times it was cool, like having a strong hand and buying an expensive card, but otherwise it was just okay. There was also very little interaction with others. Someone described DB games as "multiplayer solitaire".

How can a DB compete with Summoner Wars, which is fun all the time? Or Specter Ops, King of Tokyo, or Batman: Love Letter?

Player Red
I wouldn't be able to meet you on the parts of KoT or Love Letter being fun all the time, but it's something we can disregard.

I actually enjoy DBG, but the problem is, I'm at the mercy of using other people's copies. Carrying around 500 to 3000 cards seems to be more trouble than it's worth these days. In fact, all of my DBG are exclusively on digital... Ascension on iOS, and Dominoin on Android (via Androminion).

Otherwise, finding card combos and exploring misc. mechanics is what gets me drawn to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanos007 wrote:
Also Sentinels of the Multiverse. Also coop.

Not a deckbuilder. Also, no idea how a game can bee a coop. It doesn't hold any birds at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
PlayerRedDiceBoy wrote:
Yeah. I'm not trying to criticize it. I just don't understand why they are so popular. Maybe it's me. Or Maybe there are better DB games. I don't play board games as often as I would like, so it's kind of a waste if a game is dud. I'm honestly open to whatever suggestions you have.

Have you played Ascension? I really liked the Cryptozoic LOTR deckbuilders, but I fully realize that Ascension is probably a better game and I enjoy it as much.

Chances are, you have a friend who has it. Give it a go and if you try it and nothing about it appeals to you then I think deckbuilders just might not be your thing. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it might just save you alot of time and effort to be able to ignore that particular section of the game store.

Lastly, if it's player interaction you want, maybe give the Warmachine or Hordes High Command Deckbuilders a try. They've got ALOT of similarities with other deckbuilders, but you and your opponent each have their own decks and are in fairly consistent competition to defeat each other's forces and win locations. I've not had a chance to play more than a couple hands of it yet, but they're going for ridiculously cheap right now. I think MM has it for $10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayerRedDiceBoy wrote:

Player Red

Try Rune Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need direct interaction in your games, then deck builders probably aren't for you. As to why they're so popular, a large (and growing) number of gamers don't care for direct interaction or (worse) targeted aggression in their games. They like to play alongside, rather than against, other players.

I'll second the recommendation for Arctic Scavengers as a deck builder that might appeal to you if it's interaction you're after. If even that doesn't appeal, then the mechanism/genre isn't for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Nightfall, Star Realms I hear has a good amount of direct interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit burned out on DBGs, but I really enjoyed them for a while. I played the heck out of Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game and Shadowrun: Crossfire. What I liked most was that I had complete control over the makeup of my deck yet still had to deal with the uncertainty of the draw. Cards are a great way to show off art and gives designers a vast amount of artistic license to create actions/powers/challenges/stories and results in a wide array of game experiences.

I've since traded both those games and have settled on Baseball Highlights: 2045 as my deck builder of choice. Its unique theme and simple yet challenging gameplay keep me engaged even after my tastes in games have changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Also, no idea how a game can bee a coop. It doesn't hold any birds at all.

I believe you're thinking of Hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
PlayerRedDiceBoy wrote:

Player Red

Try Rune Age.

Are you trying to turn him further off of deckbuilders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had dominion and it was cool for awhile, we sold it. Tried trains since it had rout building mixed in, still felt like dominion, selling it now.

On the other hand, I love eminent domain, marvel legendary, Concordia, Lewis and Clark, Orleans, and rococo. Obviously I seem to like it more as a secondary mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really have fun playing Trains a map with some strategy & scoring there works well.

Thunderstone & Dominion were pretty boring compared to trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.