33.4% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: How do I stop my dog from sneaking upstairs in the middle of the night to pee? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So, we used to live in a tiny apartment in a two-story building. We were happy. My dog, a 6 year-old mongrel (but really tiny and cute) already had mastered the art of not peeing inside. He'd ask to be left out early in the morning or during the day. All was happiness.

Then an opportunity presented itself; long story short, we bought the apartment upstairs from us. Then we built a stairwell and turned both apartments into a really kickass house (if I do say so myself). And it all stopped being happiness.

The dog didn't like going upstairs, like he didn't quite understand what had happened. And then he went upstairs one day, sniffed around, peed three times and went back down. I found the puddles later.

I took him upstairs, rubbed his nose in it, shouted "No" at him, and took it outside for a while.

Ever since, he kept doing it. Every time I rub his nose and shout "No", then I hit him with a rolled up newspaper, then I spanked him lightly. Nothing seems to work. The thing is, he knows it's wrong. He sneaks out in the middle of the night to do it. He acts guilty when I see him in the morning and, yes, puddles.

The worst is, he doesn't just pee on the floor. He does it against the wooden furniture, and once nearly on the games' rack. We really cannot afford all new furniture, and certainly not becuase the darn dog wants to use our second floor as his personal boudoir (so to speak). This is getting close to "the dog has to go" territory; nobody wants it, but the situation is untenable.

Anybody has any ideas as to how to make the pooch (who is reasonably intelligent) understand that the second floor is verbotten?

I appreciateany help you can provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advise putting a door on the staircase so he can't go up it. If you can't do that, go to a professional trainer for help - I can't think of anything to try that you haven't already. As you point out, the dog knows it's wrong, but is doing it anyway, so there's something deeper going on.

When I was a kid my parents taught our dog not to go to the bathroom in our yard, because we wanted her to go in the woods behind our house. Pretty quickly she caught on, no more poop in the yard. Success! Then we found out that she was pooping in other people's yards.

Edit: It just occurred to me: Did the former tenant upstairs have a dog? Maybe their dog peed inside and your dog is smelling the pee of the former dog. Dogs always like to pee where other dogs have been. That would explain why you have the problem, but doesn't explain how to solve it, so probably not helpful I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there room to put a gig kennel outside?. If so have a length of chain from the kennel to the dog collar.

Or - how about toddler stair gate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, please stop hitting your dog. Rubbing his nose in it and hitting him doesn't teach him anything. All he knows is that every time you drag him upstairs you're angry and rubbing his nose in piss and hitting him but he doesn't understand why, it only serves to make him scared and confused.

It sounds to me that he is marking his territory if he's peeing on furniture and doesn't normally pee on things. Another thing to consider is that he may have a bladder infection or some other health problem and just needs to see a vet.

If you've ruled out health problems and he doesn't do it downstairs, I would just have a baby gate or even a built in swing gate put in so he can't go upstairs.

We have baby gates separating our kitchen from our living room because our two dogs will fight if we aren't home. Separating them while we're away prevents the dogs from hurting each other when no one is around. It was also extremely helpful while we potty trained them.

http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/adoption-pet-care/dog-...

This sort of thing doesn't look bad and might keep the peace in your house.

We have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Cardinal-Pet-Gates-Duragate-White/dp/...

It's sturdy metal and is screwed into the wall. We've been using it for at least 8 years and it's still in perfect condition.

Here is a link from the Humane Society for help on training not to mark inside the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so for the first part of the dogs life it knew only your apartment as the no pee zone and outside that was the pee zone. The dog understands your angry but is not correlating it peeing up there to you mad, at lest not the way you hope. Your negative reinforcement it too late for the dog to correlate with their specific actions.
What I suggest is blocking off the upstairs and only let the dog up there when you can watch it. Anytime he looks like hes gonna pee you stop him. The best way is to kinda push the dog so they don't get comfortable in their pee stance so they never actually pee.

I was in the same situation with my dog and the downstairs when she was a pup first getting trained. They figure its out of the way enough, also the whole marking thing doesn't help.
BTW, how do you have the dog trained now to know when they have to go outside?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First a disclaimer, we have five dogs and we don't actually do this.

A lot of people seem to manage training their dogs to sleep in a "crate" both night and day. But this does require a lot of dedication to a schedule and going outside when needed.

Our secret? A fenced back yard when someone is here to let them out and back in, pee pads inside, and naturally brown carpet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did think about the toddler door and is not out of the question. But my bedroom is downstairs and the kids are upstairs and sometimes (pretty much every night) the little one (7 years old) kinda sleepwalks into my bedroom, and I'm leery to put any obstacles in the way.

There was no dog upstair at least for the last six years, so it's not that.

Believe me, I take no pleasure in screaming or hitting a dog. But I can't let it go on (my kids sleep upstairs, and sometimes the smell is unbearable). I keep shouting at him in hopes he'll understand, because I truly don't know what else to do and I refuse to let him think it's acceptable.

The thing is, he's a really good dog; I'm baffled as to why this is the one thing he refuses to understand (rubbing his nose and shouting is how he learned not to pee downstairs, and that took no more that two days).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to add; I put pee pads upstairs. He won't use them. I'm at the end of my tether here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I would google dog training instead of asking here. As others have said, the dog is not connecting his act with your punishment. So check out his health and block access to the upstairs and google dog training.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:
There was no dog upstair at least for the last six years, so it's not that.
But there were people. People who smell different than you. Your dog doesn't realize that the upstairs is his territory now. He's trying to mark his territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:
I did think about the toddler door and is not out of the question. But my bedroom is downstairs and the kids are upstairs and sometimes (pretty much every night) the little one (7 years old) kinda sleepwalks into my bedroom, and I'm leery to put any obstacles in the way.

So let me get this straight, your kid sleepwalks down a flight of stairs every night and you don't want to block him with a built in safety gate that he can't fall over and would also prevent a dog from peeing upstairs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablito A
msg tools
You also need to clean the bejesus anywhere the dog peed. They can smell urine down to the parts per million.

I'm a fan of Natures Miracle (most pet shops carry it. Saturate the area and then mop it up.

Also DO NOT use ammonia to clean the messes. Ammonia is a byproduct up urate which is a big component of pee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My dog is 6.

Same problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:
Mr.Baggins wrote:

So let me get this straight, your kid sleepwalks down a flight of stairs every night and you don't want to block him with a built in safety gate that he can't fall over and would also prevent a dog from peeing upstairs?

A seven year old is way too old for a baby gate to work and certainly old enough to go up and down stairs. They might try to climb over the gate and make it worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
If you don't want to block the stairs then what about locking the dog in the kitchen (or somewhere similar). My dog sleeps in the kitchen because otherwise he would just come and jump on the bed in the middle of the night.

There is no way I could put up with a seven year old waking me up every night either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stop hitting your dog, it upsets him, it upsets you and it won't do any good. All the dog knows is that for some reason the people who are normally kind to him suddenly go bat shit crazy and beat him up, he doesn't associate peeing upstairs with the beating he gets.

Look at this from his side, in the day he can ask to be let out and go for a pee and he knows peeing downstairs is not allowed. In the night there is no one around to let him out, so he goes to a place he thinks it's okay to pee.

Maybe the solution is to set up a place where he can pee at night, a sort of litter tray like you might have for cats, train him to pee on that and that alone and he may use it during the night.

I would suggest the following, build the place you want him to pee and put it outside. When he asks to go out, take him out to the place you have made and encourage him to do his business, when he starts peeing give a command word that he will come to associate with peeing and will allow you get him to do his business on command. When he is happy peeing in his new pee zone, you can think of moving it indoors for night use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
emmersonpoole wrote:
stop hitting your dog, it upsets him, it upsets you and it won't do any good. All the dog knows is that for some reason the people who are normally kind to him suddenly go bat shit crazy and beat him up, he doesn't associate peeing upstairs with the beating he gets.

Rubbing a dog's nose in their pee, then punishment (which can be saying "no", as Antonio tried at first, or light spanking), is a standard and usually successful way to train dogs not to go to the bathroom somewhere. Dogs are smarter than you're giving them credit for. They make the connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have three dogs that are getting older and are left home alone for hours on end at times. We bought potty pads for them so they know where to go if they can't do it outside. We have a very nice new rug next two the area their potty pad is in, for two months now they'll play on the rug or sleep there, then they use the potty pad for other things. Rubbing your dogs nose in it does nothing other than confuse and scare the heck out of your dog. Even if its been years, the dog could be smelling something in that carpet. Also, dogs if they have to pee will generally do so in something that is going to absorb it. Potty pads are cheap, they absorb the pee, are scented for dogs to go to them. It is a lot cheaper than new carpets or dealing with urinary infections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antonio, I apologize for my snarky second comment. I hope you are able to find a solution that works for your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Aberdeen
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to have six dogs, so I've been there. It sucks smelling dog pee in the house. If you don't want to gate things off, there's a few other things you can try.

Crate train. In the crate when you're not around to supervise the dog. Crate training is not mean (assuming you're not leaving them crated over 8.5 hours a day, dogs will sleep most/all of the day anyways).

Put the dog on a leash tied to your belt. See him getting ready? Catch him in the act, take him outside, and praise the hell out of him when he goes. Treats also help.

Also clean the area he's peed with something like Nature's Miracle. Pee pads do nothing but teach a dog to pee on soft/papery surfaces in my experience.

Don't ever rub their nose in their urine/feces, it accomplishes nothing, and urine is basically ammonia, which is painful enough for a human to smell, never mind an animal whose sense of smell is approximately 3000x stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
emmersonpoole wrote:

Rubbing a dog's nose in their pee, then punishment (which can be saying "no", as Antonio tried at first, or light spanking), is a standard and usually successful way to train dogs not to go to the bathroom somewhere. Dogs are smarter than you're giving them credit for. They make the connection.

As witnessed by the OP it doesn't work very well, it's an old wives tale of dog training, repeated so often as to be taken as fact. The best way of training is positive reinforcement of good behaviour. Just as we don't beat kids or wives these days, we don't need to beat dogs, there are better stress free ways to achieve the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
sunkencheerio wrote:
Mr.Baggins wrote:

A seven year old is way too old for a baby gate to work and certainly old enough to go up and down stairs. They might try to climb over the gate and make it worse.

huh? No way a 7 year old is going to able to step over a baby gate. I have one, am 6' tall and can barely straddle it. Hell, even one of my cats can't jump over it.

Here's one similar to what I use. https://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Stairs-Expandable-Metal-Mounti...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emmersonpoole wrote:
Just as we don't beat kids or wives these days...

Well, maybe YOU don't...

OK, yes, just kidding. But on a serious note, I do think there's a huge gulf between a light swat with a rolled up newspaper or something similar, and beating an animal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.