Subject: constructive, light weight games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife doesn't like much conflict in her games. Some is ok, and she has been fine with Small World, but really prefers something like Carcassonne or Agricola where you are mostly doing your own thing - you build your thing, I build my thing and we compare at the end.

Tile laying and worker placement are both of our favorite mechanics. I often drag both her younger sisters into playing with us as well. Neither are gamers at all so things need to stay at the lighter end (Takenoko(aka "that cute Panda game") is the current family favorite).

I was looking at both Suburbia and Quadropolis but both seem to be tipping on the heavier (and worse, longer) end of the spectrum of what my sister-in-laws are willing to agree to. Are they really more "difficult" than say Catan or Takenoko to learn and play? If so, any other recommendations? The guy at my FLGS mentioned both Gaïa and Among the Stars as ones to look at as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
If auctions are okay, check out The Princes of Florence.

UPDATE: Might be worth checking out Saint Petersburg too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Suburbia but I enjoy Quadropolis very much. It is on the same heaviness level as Takenoko. And similar length. Also, the theme is so approable, anyone can understand. It clicks with what you like about Carcassonne.

Just go and get it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Cacao, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between Two Cities is a pretty light construction game that's both cooperative and competitive at the same time. It's simple enough to teach in a few minutes, but has enough depth to provide a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
My wife doesn't like much conflict in her games. Some is ok......

The guy at my FLGS mentioned both Gaïa and Among the Stars as ones to look at as well.

I love Gaia, but it does have some conflict. it works well with my group, but if your wife is sensitive to it, you can remove some of the cards, which will limit the conflict.

She might want to try something like The Castles of Burgundy. I've only played with with 3+ players, but it supposed to be a really good 2-player game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mako Chan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Patchwork
Karuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
makochan wrote:

+1 for all three (esp Karuba, which fits your criteria perfectly and plays 2-4 identically well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
These are some light, relatively low-conflict games for 2-4 players.

Codenames
Splendor
Ticket to Ride
Mysterium
Hanabi
Biblios
Ingenious
Sushi Go!
Paperback
Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:

Codenames
Splendor
Ticket to Ride
Mysterium
Hanabi
Biblios
Ingenious
Sushi Go!
Paperback
Bohnanza

oops... forgot to mention that other than me (an American) my wife and her family are all swedish with English as a second or even 3rd language, so language dependency needs to be nil or close (some text on a card or board is ok, but word/letter games are out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 castles of burgundy

Instead of suburbia maybe look at castles of mad King Ludwig. Similar but slightly easier for newer players.

Alhambra - tiles, hand management, set collection
Isle of Skye - tiles, auction/bidding, hidden info
Key flower - tiles, auction/bidding, hidden info, worker placement
Vikings - tiles, rondel
Glen more - tiles, varying turn order, resource management

All these games have tile placement, which leads to building something of your own. Each of these games also has some additional gameplay mechanism to introduce to newer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
+1 for Vikings. Great game that's easy to learn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7 or Sequence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:

Codenames
Splendor
Ticket to Ride
Mysterium
Hanabi
Biblios
Ingenious
Sushi Go!
Paperback
Bohnanza

oops... forgot to mention that other than me (an American) my wife and her family are all swedish with English as a second or even 3rd language, so language dependency needs to be nil or close (some text on a card or board is ok, but word/letter games are out)

Another reason why Quadropolis is perfect for you - no text at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
but really prefers something like Carcassonne or Agricola where you are mostly doing your own thing - you build your thing, I build my thing and we compare at the end.

I think you're playing Carcassonne wrong .

DragonsDream wrote:
I was looking at both Suburbia and Quadropolis but both seem to be tipping on the heavier (and worse, longer) end of the spectrum of what my sister-in-laws are willing to agree to.

For tile laying take a look at Subdivision, it's lighter and shorter and less complex than Suburbia but still nicely carries the building-something theme.

Somewhat related also check out Rise to Power, it's interesting and has similar aspects to what you're looking for, and not that much of a jump in complexity.

Though I'd +1 the claims that Quadropolis isn't really that complex or long if you keep to the "basic" version (which is pretty good and fully viable, not just an intro to get people to play the "expert" one as a "real" version).

DragonsDream wrote:
The guy at my FLGS mentioned both Gaïa and Among the Stars as ones to look at as well.

Among the Stars is very good, just take into account that the play time in the first few games will likely be much longer since until you're used to the cards and gameplay you'll probably want to check and verify all placements so it loses the time benefits of the simultaneous actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also highly recommend Among the Stars!

A couple other good drafting games are Fairy Tale, or for a really simple experience, Sushi Go!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.