Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Now modified to include Mr Miranda's replies to my rules questions]

A great little game that really captures the cat and mouse campaign. I think it is the best of he mini games so far. While perfectly playable as is, there are a number of ambiguities in the rules (particularly the cards) and some other minor confusions. Most are easily fixable by houserules or common sense, but in the interests of completeness, here are my errata and rules questions.

Comments/errata:
1) Standard Rule 6.1 says to use a coin as a turn marker. Scenario Rule 25.0 says to place “the turn marker” on the turn track. This should have more explicitly stated that no such marker is provided (especially given scenario rules take precedence over standard rules). Amend Standard Rule 1.0 to read “Players must provide one or more six sided dice (five is ideal) AND A COIN OR OTHER COUNTER AS A TURN MARKER”. Likewise Scenario Rule 25.0 should read “Place a coin or spare counter” on the turn track.

2) Standard Rule 16 says Elite units do not panic in defence (i.e. they ignore rolls of 5 against them). This rule is easily overlooked. Annotate row 5 of the Battle Results Table on the map to read “Panic one enemy unit (except defending elite units).”

3) Terrain Key:

a) Change the text “Allied town” to read “British town” because the Eastern Congo and Portuguese East Africa town spaces (Allied, but not British) are NOT yellow. Change “ground route” to “land route”.

b) Note that while “Lake/Ocean route” is defined as a dotted blue line, such lines are only shown for the two lakes. Assume that such lines interconnect all the ports on the Indian Ocean (including the Indian Ocean box).

4) Terrain Effects Chart: add a new line: “Railroad route”, with movement effect: “Treat as Land Route, but may move along an unlimited number of connected railroad routes for 1MP (see 28.3)”.

5) On the cards, movement allowances are given for ‘infantry’, ‘light’ and ‘mounted’. This implies ‘infantry’ means ‘regular infantry only’, while ‘light’ means ‘light infantry’ and ‘mounted’ means ‘cavalry/mounted infantry and (for the Allies) the armored car’. Garrisons (with crate and yellow combat strength) NEVER move!

6) Card LV-08 Attrition: change “recruit box” to “recruit pool”

7) Card LV-07 South Africans: On the second pick of this card, if card LV-01 ‘Smuts in Command’ is already in the discard pile it can be ignored as the game will end before the draw deck runs out. If it is not in the discard pile, you can either remember to ignore it and draw again if it does come up; or, you can look in the remaining deck, remove it, then reshuffle the remaining deck (without adding back in the cards already discarded).

8) Another easily overlooked rule: Garrisons cannot move, so cannot retreat, and are eliminated if fellow defenders break-off.[This rule is in the printed rules, but missing from the digital version on DG's website!). If eliminated and drawn as a recruit, they can only be placed back on their own town. As with Belgian and Portuguese units drawn as recruits, garrisons unable to be placed on the map are returned to the pool and another unit drawn instead (i.e. a recruit unable to be placed is not a wasted recruit draw... keep drawing until a place-able unit is drawn).

Questions (with answers from Joseph Miranda, posted to Consimworld 30 July 2016):

1) Scenario Rule 24.1 says light infantry have a kneeling icon. All such light units (and only such light units) have their combat strength in a coloured circle. I presume this coloured circle also means ‘light infantry’ and has no other significance?

Correct.

2) Does Portugal count as an Ally if it has not been activated by the end of the game? I presume so, but it is not explicitly stated, and is important in determining victory (26.0).

It is an Ally regardless if activated.

3) Are rail routes usable as normal land routes, or can they only be used for rail movement (28.3)? I presume so, but it is not explicit stated in the rules, and there is no ‘rail route’ line on the Terrain Effect Chart.

They can be used as land routes.

4) Standard Rule 19.0 allows for pursuit. Can any unit pursue in this specific game, and if so, which?

19.0 specifies “leaders and all types of cavalry (i.e., mounted infantry).

Map:

5) The ‘Uganda’ space in the top left of the map is yellow (like all Allied towns) but has no ‘buildings’ symbol whereas all other towns (German & Allied) do. So is Uganda a normal ‘plains space’ that has been coloured yellow by mistake, or is it an ‘Allied town’ (and perhaps should be renamed Kampala?) misprinted without the buildings symbol?

Should be a Plains space.

6) Where is the Belgian Congo/ North Rhodesian border: is it north of south of the mountain space linking Abercorn to the Eastern Congo (i.e. is that mountain space in Belgian Congo or Northern Rhodesia?).

North of the mountain space.

7) Irrelevant to game play, but for completeness, where is the Belgian Congo/Uganda border?

The dashed orange line.

8 ) Is there any significance to the size of the Portuguese East Africa box, which is four times the area of any other space on the map?

No. It just represents a larger area than the other spaces.

9) Scenario Rule 32.0 says Allied units in supply centres or the Allied fort are in supply. The Terrain Effects Chart row for ports says either side may use a port as a supply centre (which presumably includes the Rufiji Delta, Uganda, Bukoba, Mwanza and Kigomi, which are all ports but not supply centres). Is it correct that the Allies are in supply in all those spaces, or should the supply note for ports be deleted from the Terrain Effects Chart (or restricted to Germans only)?

The TEC SUpply Effect is in addition to other supply pre-conditions.

Cards:

10) Cards LV-01 Smuts in Command, LV-05 Meinhertzhagen & LV-14 Tribes Loyal:

a) Does the +1 to the tactical superiority roll for “each Allied attack”, “any one Allied combat” and “any one German attack” apply only to the *first* round roll of the battle(s), or to *each* round of those battle(s)?

All rounds within a battle.

b) Is there any significance in the differing words “tactical leadership roll” and “tactical superiority roll” on these cards?

No, they are the same thing.

c) Is there any significance in the differing words “attack” & “combat” on these cards? Given the card texts only apply on the drawing player’s player-turn, “combat” cannot apply to both attack (on the drawing player-s turn) and defence (on the following opponent’s turn).

They mean the same.

11) Card LV-08 Attrition:

a) For purposes of attrition rolls, does ‘infantry’ mean ‘regular infantry only’ or all types of infantry (regular and light)?

All types of infantry.

b) Are garrisons treated as ‘infantry’ for attrition purposes?

No.

c) Scenario Rule 24.3 says the armored car is “treated as a mounted infantry for movement”. Is it also treated as (mounted) infantry for purposes of attrition on this card?

It is treated as Mounted Infantry for all game purposes.

d) Does the rolling for attrition for all Allied units “on the map” include those in the Indian Ocean Box?

No.

e) Does the rolling for attrition for all Allied units “on the map” include those in the Allied South African Reinforcements Box?

No.

12) Card LV-09 Royal Navy Support: The card says to recruit two ALLIED units, then roll a die to determine the number of BRITISH units that can move, then each ALLIED unit attacking a port gets a bonus. But if only British units can move, then only British units can attack. So should the movement text read ALLIED instead of BRITISH, or should the combat text say BRITISH instead of ALLIED?

Only British units can attack,

13) Card LV-11 Mobilize Colony: The recruit instruction is “one unit per supply centre in German East Africa occupied by German units”. Does this intend to restrict placement of each unit to the individual supply centre that recruited it, or, once the total number of units has been determined and drawn from the recruit pool, can they be placed in any combination(s) on any German-occupied supply centres or fort?

Place one per space.

14) Card LV-16 SMS Königsberg: The recruit instruction says “Place [unit] on any port in German East Africa, or the Rufiji delta (even if enemy-occupied)”.

a) Does “even if enemy occupied” only modify the clause after the comma (“the Rufiji delta”), or the whole sentence including the clause before the comma (i.e. including “any port”)? This is made more confusing because the Rufiji delta *IS* a port, so is redundant in the latter case.

The whole sentence.

b) Does “any port” mean only ocean ports (which is historical), or also lake ports (which is logical according to the text as written, but less historical if the Königsberg crew can arrive in Kigomi or Bukoba)?

Only ocean ports, obviously, for this purpose.

c) If the KonA infantry is placed in a port that is enemy occupied, can it then move out in the movement phase of that turn, or is it then unable to move and required to attack the enemy occupying the space in the combat phase of the same turn?

Must stay and fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley Hubble
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of my posting, it has been 20 days since you posted the questions. Good observations and some good questions.

You'll notice that Miranda tends to ignore BGG despite the fact more gamers post questions and comments here than on Consimworld. He will only respond to questions posted on Consimworld as far as I have seen.

I have seen other Decision Game folks respond to questions on BGG. I like that because it's a service. Each game company is a business -- they are in business to sell games. A good business takes care of its customers because the latter are the ones who ultimately decide if the business grows, stagnates, or fails. One would think responding to the questions of customers (we the gamers) would be an important element of their "customer service". Sadly, it is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I expected an email from CSW to notify me of any reply... Mr Miranda answered my Q's there on 30 July, and only your posting here prompted me to check CSW. I have now added the oracle's answers to my questions in the original post. Nothing too unexpected, except that garrisons are no subject to attrition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley Hubble
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
railroader wrote:
Sorry, I expected an email from CSW to notify me of any reply... Mr Miranda answered my Q's there on 30 July, and only your posting here prompted me to check CSW. I have now added the oracle's answers to my questions in the original post. Nothing too unexpected, except that garrisons are no subject to attrition.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.