Subject: Rotating tiles - one little nuance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
An Sea
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello!
I haven't found one thing on BGG forums, and I found it ambiguous in the rules. Maybe it's just due to my poor english... modest Back to the point:

Quote:
"Rotation. The player rotates an area tile by 90 degrees (in either direction) or by 180 degrees, thus moving the wall to either block or open up a Detective's line of sight"

I can interpret it in three different ways:

a) player can rotate a tile by 90 or 180 with no restrictions and it may change the Detective's line of sight (that's the way people around me play)
b) player can rotate by 90 degrees freely, but for 180 degrees ONLY IF it changes the Detective's line of sight
c) player can rotate - by 90 or 180 degrees - ONLY IF it changes the Detective's line of sight (that's the option I would choose)

(It sounds like a detail but it can sometimes change the game - you can't prepare tile with proper rotation for later in the turn if it doesn't change the line of sight right now...)

How do you play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely A ... you can rotate a tile even if there is no detective looking at it to block or unblock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
It's definitely A ... you can rotate a tile even if there is no detective looking at it to block or unblock.

I've always played it the same way, assuming the consequence of blocking a line of sight was offered as an explanation of why you might rotate the tile. I can see why someone parsing the English might assume that it was a necessary condition, however. The subtleties of language are manifold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all that's written above.....the wording was an attempt to explain the benefit of rotating....it was not imposing a restriction on rotating a tile.

As long as we're clarifying rules, I would also add that it would have been better to explicitly say that "you cannot rotate a tile 360 degrees."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
As long as we're clarifying rules, I would also add that it would have been better to explicitly say that "you cannot rotate a tile 360 degrees."

Here's another: "During rotation the long axes of the tile must remain parallel with the table. For purposes of this rule, flipping tiles over is not considered rotation."

You can't be too careful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.