Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a general rule on what to do when a solo captain;s rolled heading cannot be completed?

As an example, I am playing against Stubb, it is Round 4, and he rolled the prepare/launch heading. He already prepared his ships in an earlier round, and according to his board he can launch only after Round 5.

Should I roll a new heading?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
So, for each action, you evaluate the Captain's Orders on the left. The rondel action is sort of a default. When you reach an action you can't take, you fall back to other items in the Captains Orders list. For Stubb, if you can't prep or launch, he would try to use the Schoolhouse, Inn or Coffeehouse if they are built, if not he tries to collect money, wood, food, or brick in that order. In this case, that probably means he ends up taking the forest action in order to collect wood.
Hope this helps, I will try to put together some more examples as soon as I have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, you first try to do the heading action, and if you cannot, do you go to the top of the Captain's Orders list and work your way down?

There were several times when Stubb could not do the build action (including because some tiles weren't in the game), so in those cases I randomly chose a building from those available by rolling for row and column.

In my first game, I lost 22 to 21 VPs, mainly because Stubb was a VP tile hog. Very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds completely right.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my question is this for Stubb, it says he may launch only after round 5 and only to 4. Does that mean he needs to spend 4 food for each ship to go to 4 or can he just go out there at no cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Captains don't track any resources, so when Stubb uses a Launch action, (assuming he has a prepared ship) simply place the ship on the 4 space. If the 4 space happened to be full, he wouldn't be able to launch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
Captains don't track any resources

This is pretty clear in the rulebook.

Page 11, step 4): The player selects goods as normal. Captains do not use goods or money.

Page 12: The Captain neither pays nor collects goods or money to take Actions.

However, the text in the yellow box at the bottom of page 14, referring to example scenario 1, contradicts this. It states, "He finds the Farm and adds food to his supply using that Action." That makes it seem like they do collect resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaffer wrote:
Sivilized wrote:
Captains don't track any resources

This is pretty clear in the rulebook.

Page 11, step 4): The player selects goods as normal. Captains do not use goods or money.

Page 12: The Captain neither pays nor collects goods or money to take Actions.

However, the text in the yellow box at the bottom of page 14, referring to example scenario 1, contradicts this. It states, "He finds the Farm and adds food to his supply using that Action." That makes it seem like they do collect resources.

Oh, strange. No, that shouldn't say anything about adding food to his supply. I guess whoever wrote the examples didn't catch that in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.