Subject: Nightfall vs Valley of the Kings or both? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Looking to round out the last $20 or so to get free shipping on a MiniatureMarket order.

Both of these deckbuilding games and their first expansion would come to around $25 total.

Which should I get or should I get the base game for each?

My considerations/factors are:

1) I currently enjoy the LoTR deckbuilders and Ascension.

2) I'm hoping to play it with my wife. She who also enjoys the deckbuilders previously mentioned as well as 12 wonders. She does also like Egyptian themed things.

3) Nightfall is on clearance so it may be the last chance to get it at a cheap price. Valley of the Kings is regular stock.

4) I like the Vampire'ish genre.

I'm also interested in folks general opinons of these two games.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played both.

Nightfall has a good bit of setup/teardown time. VotK has a minimal amount in comparison. Nightfall has a pool of cards to add/remove from the game. VotK has fixed sets. Nightfall has goofy "punch your neighbor" chain play. VotK is less interactive, but more strategic.

Hope the comparisons help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Valley of the Kings, so i can't comment on it.
Nightfall is a Great Game! But it is best played with 4. It isn't really designed for 2 players. If you ever played Vampire: The Eternal Struggle, it is similar to that, only a deck builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like I should go with VotK...

But I went with Nightfall. Did what I should have done and asked my wife what she would be most interested in. The fact that it was on closeout helped too. I can buy VotK at it's standard good price in the future.

And I probably will.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.