Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Traits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lea
msg tools
I only recently purchased and started playing the game. Sorry if the below has been asked and answered before. I'm sure it's also clarified somewhere in the rulebook or reference guide, but on several skims through couldn't find it (I failed my Observation Test, and gained a Frustration Condition )

What I need clarifying is how restrictively you apply the definition of the traits a component has when selecting components, either randomly or by choice. Where the particular game effect in question refers only to a broad general category, e.g. 'Item', would you select any of the relevant component type, e.g. Assets which has that trait, irrespective of other traits it may have, e.g. magical.

For example, I successfully pass a Test which allows me to pick a random 'Item' asset. I start looking through the deck. Do I:

1) Pick the first Asset I come to with the Item trait, regardless of other traits it may have, e.g. a Magical Weapon Item

or -

2) Carry on searching until I find an Asset that has ONLY the Item trait and no others. I would only select the card as in '1' above if the game effect had specifically instructed me to select a Magical Weapon Item

Conversely, if the game effect instructs me to look for a component with a specific COMBINATION of traits, does this override all other considerations. For example:

I'm trying to resolve a Mystery which requires the use of a particular Artifact. The Mystery allows me to specifically select that Artifact whenever I gain one. I pass a Test which allows me to gain a Tome Artifact. Which takes precedence? Is it:

1) The instruction to look for a particular contribution of Traits, so in this case I would still need to select a Tome irrespective of the capability allowed by the Mystery?

or -

2) The Mystery treats all Artifacts as a general category, regardless of other traits, and allows me to use the capability to select the Artifact I need regardless of other traits which the effect leading me to gain the card may mention - so in other words, in this example I can ignore the reference to 'Tome', and select instead the particular Artifact I need?

Hope this makes sense, and many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Whenever the keyword is met you get that thing, any additional keywords don't matter. I think they recently had a layout change to more naturally sounding entries ("Magical Weapon" instead of "Weapon, Magical"), but it's still all just keywords.

When converting an artifact find for Mystery like that, additonal constraints on the converted artifact don't matter, so yes you can search for it after finding a "Tome artifact".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not too familiar with what you mean with the second question, since I'm still fairly a newcomer to the game... but in regards to the first question, you grab the first card you legally can that corresponds to what you're told to get.

So if you are to obtain a "random item asset" you draw from the top of the deck until you draw an asset that labels "item" as its trait.

Drawing a double-sided card works the same way, except you draw from the back, and you keep drawing until you grab the corresponding card that also isn't a copy of a card you already have, unless rules state otherwise--there's no limit to how many unique assets you can have. So for example, if you are told to draw a random spell, and the first spell you draw is a spell type you already have (for example, Binding)then you draw the next card that doesn't correspond to any copies you already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try looking in the Reference Guide rather than the rulebook. The Ref Guide is where detailed explanations are put. It's under the section "gaining possessions and conditions"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way: Is a Magical Weapon Item an Item? Yes. Grab it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lea
msg tools
Many thanks to all who responded. The consensus seems to be that it's the broad category of trait, e.g. 'Item' which is the paramount consideration, so I'll probably go with that. It does mean that you're going to end up gaining some Possessions which might seem unusual within the context of the Encounter that led to you getting them, e.g. that shopkeeper who gratefully gives you an Item when you help foil a theft in his shop just happens to have had an Enchanted Sword on the premises, or that thug who tries to beat you up turns out to have had an Enchanted Sword in his pocket ("Is that an Enchanted Sword in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?")

To Mccrispy - as per my original post, I did have a read through the Reference Guide. It's not much help in this case. The section that you refer to on gaining possessions simply instructs you to look with a particular trait. That's clear enough. What it doesn't address is situations where cards have multiple traits such as we've been discussing here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelea wrote:
To Mccrispy - as per my original post, I did have a read through the Reference Guide. It's not much help in this case. The section that you refer to on gaining possessions simply instructs you to look with a particular trait. That's clear enough. What it doesn't address is situations where cards have multiple traits such as we've been discussing here.
I'm only working on the information that I referenced when I say that anything that is a specific type of X is still also an X (a green eyed demon is still a demon, so an instruction that allows you to choose a red eyed demon called Bilbo whenever you choose a demon would still apply when you were instructed to choose a green eyed demon - because you have been told to take a demon)

It's a similar thing with Monsters. Epic Monsters are also Monsters, so much so that they defined a "non- Epic Monster" category so that they could refer to a category of Monster that explicitly excluded the category of Monster normally included in the more general category! That they didn't do that here indicates that <specific type> <general type> things are still <general type> things. So an instruction to take a Tome Artifact is still an instruction to take an Artifact, which triggers the ability to take the specific Artifact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.