$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 131.52

7,724 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Guards of Atlantis: Tabletop MOBA» Forums » General

Subject: Balancing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read through the PNP files, but not played it yet.

While reading the cards, I often found mydelf to be thinking: "This sounds really strong." or "This sounds really weak." on a regular basis. The emphasis is on the "sounds" part, as I have not put it into play.

Just out of curiosity: Is balancing still in progress or are these the final results? How many playtests did the game see?

I really love the concept of this game and the very smart ways to emulate the engaging aspects of MOBAs. I just hope, it won't suffer from balance issues, when it is delivered. I'd rather wait longer.

Anyways, I think a major part of balancing the characters will come from the opponent adapting his strategy. All heroes are very distinct in their abilities. Keep the Barbarian at a distance, get close to Ignatia, etc. Look at (rather: imagine) the cards they have left on their hand and decide your viable options. This should mitigate the balancing problems of having a rather coarse granularity of the stats on the cards (I like coarse granularity).

Also, there is some room in letting the secondary actions of cards go a bit up or down. Say, some lvl 2 attack appears a bit too weak, but if you increase attack by 1 it becomes too strong. You could just increase defence or movement on its secondary actions by one.

Are there any dominant skill trees for the characters? Or are the "tech choices" rather dependant on the composition and tech choices of the opposing team?

Wuk and Hanu seem to be especially hard to balance.

Well, these are just my thoughts on balancing this game. I would love to hear your experiences and thoughts on this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
PiHalbe wrote:
I have read through the PNP files, but not played it yet.

While reading the cards, I often found mydelf to be thinking: "This sounds really strong." or "This sounds really weak." on a regular basis. The emphasis is on the "sounds" part, as I have not put it into play.

This is very normal for any game with complicated interaction between cards I think. Also there's a lot of personal preference as it turned out.

PiHalbe wrote:

Just out of curiosity: Is balancing still in progress or are these the final results? How many playtests did the game see?

It's the final result. I didn't count the exact number of playtests. But we've started playtesting last March and ended in March this year.

PiHalbe wrote:

I really love the concept of this game and the very smart ways to emulate the engaging aspects of MOBAs. I just hope, it won't suffer from balance issues, when it is delivered. I'd rather wait longer.

We did our best to do the balance right. We've also got great help from some of the backers and I believe everyone ended up happy with the state of the game :)

PiHalbe wrote:

Anyways, I think a major part of balancing the characters will come from the opponent adapting his strategy. All heroes are very distinct in their abilities. Keep the Barbarian at a distance, get close to Ignatia, etc. Look at (rather: imagine) the cards they have left on their hand and decide your viable options. This should mitigate the balancing problems of having a rather coarse granularity of the stats on the cards (I like coarse granularity).

Yep

PiHalbe wrote:

Also, there is some room in letting the secondary actions of cards go a bit up or down. Say, some lvl 2 attack appears a bit too weak, but if you increase attack by 1 it becomes too strong. You could just increase defence or movement on its secondary actions by one.

Take my word for it - there was a lot of thought spent on setting those numbers in their current values.

Just out of curiosity - which attack felt weak? :)

PiHalbe wrote:

Are there any dominant skill trees for the characters? Or are the "tech choices" rather dependant on the composition and tech choices of the opposing team?

There's sometimes a "best" choice. But it's different every time, depending on the composition of the team, and what the other players are taking. Also, as i've mentioned above, personal preference plays a huge role. Sometimes during testing I had to take 'unpopular' cards to prove that they have merit :)


PiHalbe wrote:

Wuk and Hanu seem to be especially hard to balance.

Oh yes :) Note Hanu's basic attack. And the fact that they have only two Attack cards combined - that was the key.


PiHalbe wrote:

Well, these are just my thoughts on balancing this game. I would love to hear your experiences and thoughts on this.


Sure, ask away.
I've considered to make a Dev's diary at one point, but couldn't find time for it when the game was in development. Now when we're nearing finish, I'm very glad to actually answer these questions and share some insight.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.