Subject: Archive and News Team rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Finland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi folks. I was tinkering around with a deck involving ambushes in my Archive-server, and got confused about the following situation.

Suppose that I drop News Team face down in my Archive at the end of my turn. News Team

Quote:
"If News Team is accessed from R&D, the Runner must reveal it.

When the Runner accesses News Team, he or she must either take 2 tags or add News Team to his or her score area as an agenda worth -1 agenda point."

When the runner pokes around in my Archive News Team will trigger, and the runner takes 2 tags or gets a negative agenda. Thereafter News Team will be face up in my Archive.

Now, the rule book says the following about accessing cards in the Archive (italics by me):

Quote:
Archives: The Runner accesses all cards in Archives and any
upgrades in its root. The Runner turns all cards faceup when
accessing them, and does not need to keep them in order. The
Runner steals all agendas in Archives and cannot trash cards
that are already in Archives. After accessing Archives, all
cards in Archives return to Archives faceup.

To me this sounds like all cards in the Archive, facedown or faceup, are being accessed by the Runner. Common sense tells me that a face up News Team shouldn't be triggered again (and I've never played like that). So, a proper way of interpreting the situation would be that the Runner chooses which cards to access, face up-ambushes are naturally avoided, and if the Runner chooses to access a face down card it's a calculated risk.

Of course, this is nitpicking to a certain extent, but I wonder if this is clarified anywhere?

cheers,

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, face down or face up, ALL the cards in archives are accessed (i think the runner chooses the order of access though).

Compare the text of News Team to Snare!:
Quote:
If Snare! is accessed from R&D, the Runner must reveal it.
If you pay 4 when the Runner accesses Snare!, do 3 net damage and give the Runner 1 tag. Ignore this effect if the Runner accesses Snare! from Archives.

Since News Team doesn't say "ignore this ability" then it totally happens each time they access archives (unless they add it to their score area). Shocks do the same thing (which make them quite horrible).

Hope this helps.

Happy hacking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Finland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Deary me, that makes the card rather interesting, indeed! But, just to be on the safe side, a Runner can choose not to peek at a facedown card, and thus avoid the trap?

thx,

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
They access ALL the cards whether they're face down or not. No choosing which ones. Face down cards are flipped up (because they are no longer unrevealed information) and accessed like all the other cards. Only the order of access can be chosen by the runner (this would happen if there were three shocks and an agenda. If the agenda would win them the game they'd access that and win before the netdamage is applied).

Text from the FAQ:
Quote:
Accessing Archives
When accessing cards in Archives, the Runner turns all cards
faceup in Archives before accessing them. Then he or she
accesses and resolves individual cards one by one, in any order
he or she wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Finland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thx for clarifying. It feels silly to have played the game for many years, and never really given this mechanism a closer thought! Never ran into this situation, though.

cheers,

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond special card effects, News Team will trigger every single time the runner runs Archives so long as it remains there. As a result, unless the runner's very confident they don't have to run Archives again, the most common result is to take it as a -1 agenda point rather than the tags - because then the card is in the runner's score area, not in Archives, so it can't fire again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.