Hide
15 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Rails & Sails» Forums » Rules

Subject: Differences for the two maps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
Are there any differences in the points system of the two maps, because I do not see any. So we have the same game w/o any differences, usually there is one new way to score points. It is stupid to have 2 maps, with the exact same rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
The differences are:

Tickets:
* World: 65
* Great Lakes: 55

Trains:
* World: 25 in each color
* Great Lakes: 33 in each color

Ships:
* World: 50 in each color
* Great Lakes: 32 in each color

Ships & Trains:
* World: Keep 60
* Great Lakes: Keep 50

Pair Routes:
* World: Yes
* Great Lakes: No

Tour Tickets:
* World: Yes
* Great Lakes: No

Harbors:
* World: 20/30/40 points
* Great Lakes: 10/20/30 points

Route Lengths:
* World: 1-8
* Great Lakes: 1-9

So the rules are not the exact same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
They are the same, you just have different numbers of things ... this is not "game changing" , the REAL difference is:
Tour tickets.
And... actually nope there are not any other, why DoW did not include at least one thing, or EVEN to take it from other map, like stocks, or passengers or w/e . Now the price is for 2 maps, and it gives you LITERALLY two maps, of the SAME thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe DOW will throw in some metal coins and an exclusive Alan Moon stationmaster sticker, just to keep everyone happy shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to ride is a board game played on a map, where the biggest difference is what is happening on the map. Even without the various changes in points and things, it would certainly not be two of the "exact same thing."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Just having a different map layout can change the game significantly. With the rules otherwise exactly the same, your strategy probably wouldn't be the same on a chokepoint-heavy map as it would on a wide-open one, for example.

I'm thinking that they probably came up with the idea for the world map, then realized it needed ships to work, then realized this would be a more expensive game due to it needing to be self-contained with more pieces than standard TTR has. So they added the second map to give it some extra value. It's still expensive, but I'm always excited to try a new map, so I'm still pretty excited for it. If you bought TTR USA and Europe, I think it would cost more total than buying Rails & Sails, so I think it helps to still look at it as two separate games with shared components and similar - not identical - gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was cool that Great Lakes has two connections to the same city that are not a double route. So I could go there by train while my husband uses ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Suzan wrote:
I thought it was cool that Great Lakes has two connections to the same city that are not a double route. So I could go there by train while my husband uses ships.

Make sure you check the rules on that. In Nordic countries, there are routes of different types that link the same cities and don't appear to be parallel - one's a tunnel and one's a ferry - and the rules say that in a 2-player game, once one is taken, the other can't be used. I personally think that rule is silly, given how many bottlenecks there already are for a 2-player game of Nordic, so we just ignore it, but the app version enforces it. I can't think of any other TTR maps where such routes exist, but my guess is the same rule would apply for this new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murlough23 wrote:
Suzan wrote:

Make sure you check the rules on that. In Nordic countries, there are routes of different types that link the same cities and don't appear to be parallel - one's a tunnel and one's a ferry - and the rules say that in a 2-player game, once one is taken, the other can't be used. I personally think that rule is silly, given how many bottlenecks there already are for a 2-player game of Nordic, so we just ignore it, but the app version enforces it. I can't think of any other TTR maps where such routes exist, but my guess is the same rule would apply for this new one.

The rules specifically say a double route is two routes with the same type of transportation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
murlough23 wrote:
Suzan wrote:

The rules specifically say a double route is two routes with the same type of transportation.

But that's not how the app plays, and not what the designer says:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2716293/7he-architect?size=o...

According to the app, and the designer, any two connections between the same two cities are a double line, no matter how they are connected. So the same should count for the maps in R&S.

Edit: But that is not the case in Great Lakes, where the rules specifically says the opposite.

So there you have yet another special rule for one of teh maps, that does not apply to the other map :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murlough23 wrote:
Suzan wrote:

Thanks, yeah I was surprised too, but it's in the rules:

Quote:
Several cities have both a train route and a ship route between them. These are not considered double routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
ericamick2 wrote:
murlough23 wrote:
Suzan wrote:

According to the app, and the designer, any two connections between the same two cities are a double line, no matter how they are connected. So the same should count for the maps in R&S
. Unless the rules explicitly state otherwise, which it appears they do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no such statement in the The World rules.

It seems that there is no such route-pair on The World map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
l-hansen wrote:

According to the app, and the designer, any two connections between the same two cities are a double line, no matter how they are connected. So the same should count for the maps in R&S.

Edit: But that is not the case in Great Lakes, where the rules specifically says the opposite.

So there you have yet another special rule for one of teh maps, that does not apply to the other map :-)

Wow, I'm not sure whether to consider that an annoying and counter-intuitive rule quirk in the new game, or a welcome correction to what I felt was a dumb rule in Nordic Countries in the first place.

The end result of rule quirks like this is that folks in my gaming group will forget what they can and can't do as we switch between maps from week to week. It seems like such a little thing, but that could completely torpedo a person's strategy, if they go the whole game assuming they can build a ferry route when someone's taken the land route between the two cities, and only get reminded after collecting all the cards and trying to lay the track that they can't do this, or vice versa, one side of the route they want gets taken and they don't realize they still can take the other side. I always do my best to remind people of the known rule quirks at the start of every game, but the people I play with tend to forget some of the details despite the reminders. There should be less of these nagging details to remember in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.