$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 91.59

5,944 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Captain Piazza questions and long range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

I'm a newbie to the game having finally found a copy on ebay that doesn't cost £gazillion, and I have couple of a questions from my single playthrough of the Classic Nightmare scenario...

1. Is Captain Piazza affected by the <1 column shift for "long range" at distances 2 and 3, or does her FV remain at what it says on her card. Her card shows the rifle icon, but unlike Sheriff Hunt it doesn't mention the shift.

Also, her normal non-sniper FV is 3 so how come her sniping value at range 1 is 2? Is she being penalised for using a sniper rifle? Surely she could borrow a handgun from someone?!

2. Can Captain Piazza (or Sheriff Hunt) fire "through" the Town Square - e.g. stand on the East Side (Mountain Track 0) and shoot a target in Suburbia (Suburbs Track 0)?

Thanks

TDM
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Andy,

The answer to question 1 is a Note at the end of 9.1.1 on page 15:
"Note: Hunt and the Rangers unit have a <1 penalty when making Long
Range attacks, but Piazza, a sniper, does not."

The answer to question 2 is in the same rule reference and located just above from the Note that addresses question 1:
"Long Range Gunfire attacks cannot be issued through the Town Center (e.g.: Downtown to Suburbia) nor through Catacombs spaces."

Hope you enjoy this game! I've had, and continue to have, huge fun every time I play!

Paul

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Kyuss wrote:
Hey Andy,

The answer to question 1 is a Note at the end of 9.1.1 on page 15:
"Note: Hunt and the Rangers unit have a <1 penalty when making Long
Range attacks, but Piazza, a sniper, does not."

The answer to question 2 is in the same rule reference and located just above from the Note that addresses question 1:
"Long Range Gunfire attacks cannot be issued through the Town Center (e.g.: Downtown to Suburbia) nor through Catacombs spaces."

Hope you enjoy this game! I've had, and continue to have, huge fun every time I play!

Paul


Hi Paul

Thanks for the very quick response! Like many people (so I have read) I have great difficulty with the rulebook - I spent three whole days trying to get my head around the system because of the layout and font of the book. It's making learning the game very difficult when there are so many exceptions and special cases in there!

As for the game, I love zombie movies and have been looking for a good zombie game for a long time. Dawn of the Zeds comes highly recommended but I must admit it seems a bit of a slog so far. Not sure I'd class it as "fun"...

TDM

TDM
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I spent three whole days trying to get my head around the system because of the layout and font of the book.


I had the same problem with the rulebook. The way it was laid out, it seemed like one big block of text. There's an index in the file section that will make finding things easier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Brett Schaller wrote:
I had the same problem with the rulebook. The way it was laid out, it seemed like one big block of text. There's an index in the file section that will make finding things easier.

Aha! That makes things much easier.

Thanks again.

TDM

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find playthroughs useful, I highly recommend "Lines".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVd8r9GaqcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sloBC76lwo

Helped me a lot, he has a good pace, doesn't explain too much, makes no mistakes.
Just follow along if you understand everything, and you hopefully will grab the flow of the game eventually!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Mechaniac wrote:
If you find playthroughs useful, I highly recommend "Lines".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVd8r9GaqcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sloBC76lwo

Helped me a lot, he has a good pace, doesn't explain too much, makes no mistakes.
Just follow along if you understand everything, and you hopefully will grab the flow of the game eventually!


Hi

I'll definitely take a look at these - thanks. I have played the game 4 times now (Classic Nightmare scenario) and have just about muddled through, gaining new knowledge from BGG forums as I go. In fact, it wasn't until after my third defeat that I learned that unreleased civilians could build barricades, or that you could equip refugees for free and send them back out to fight as new civilians - which was so useful I ended up winning the following game! So many rules hidden away in that rulebook, hiding in plain sight...

TDM
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I remember losing my first game of the first edition badly because I didn't realize that civilians could use gunfire!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.