Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: First 100 point rebel squad. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Rose
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning to play my brother tomorrow and wanted advice regarding squad building. He will likely be using The TIE Advanced, Phantom nd 2 core TIES (no ideaon his pilots and upgrades).

I have the Core T70, A and B-Wing. I have used the Startactics app to build a few squads but not sure on the best route to take.

Do I:

A)Have strong A and X wing with a rubbish B as support;
B)Have a B wing focused on using a blaster with a strong A Wing and weak X Wing;
C)Do the same as (B) but with B wing focused on torpedoes;
D)Have a fully loaded B Wing with weak support from A and X Wings; or
E)Do something else?

I have the upgrades from the FA Core Set, the A Wing, B Wing,Tie Bomber and TIE Interceptor.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
For your B-Wing, it'll really benefit from Advanced Sensors (found in the E-Wing and Lambda expansions). But Fire Control System is good, too. The Autoblaster is slightly troublesome to get to shoot with since it's range 1 only, but what good is a game without a challenge - Ibitsam will give you some rerolls while he's stressed, that's good. And getting through the B-Wing's hull isn't easy with what your opponent has. You really should try Blue Squadron pilots with Advanced Sensors some time though. They benefit a lot from being able to barrel roll before their maneuver in terms of maneuverability, and they're better costed than the named ones.

The T-70 with Poe is rather strong and comboes really well with BB-8 (or R5-P9, but that's in the Rebel Transport and a defensive option). Push the Limit is one of the best elite pilot talents, and is in the A-Wing, so yay. A good modification would be Autothrusters from the Starviper, or Integrated Astromech from the T-70 X-Wing, but you should be fine without.

Ordnance (torpedoes and the likes) only really get good with Guidance Chips (from Inquisitor or Punishing One) and Extra Munitions (K-Wing, Punishing One), so while you can try them out, don't worry if you can't really make them work.

Proton Rockets from Rebel Aces go together really well with A-Wings (even better with Guidance Chips), and A-Wing Test Pilot and Chardaan Refit from Rebel Aces are basically free buffs for the ship. Without these, I'd really recommend flying Arvel Crynyd as a blocker, denying your opponent actions while being able to shoot yourself.

Looking at a list like that, I get to 95 points. So it makes sense for Poe Dameron to sport a Proton Torpedo - with Push the Limit, he should be able to set up an alpha strike with focus and target lock.

Here goes, these are the 99 points I'd field with your card limitations:

Poe Dameron (40)
T-70 X-Wing (31), BB-8 (2), Proton Torpedoes (4), Push the Limit (3)

Ibtisam (36)
B-Wing (28), Fire-Control System (2), Autoblaster (5), Wired (1)

Arvel Crynyd (23)

Edit: Oh, and you should try out Tycho Celchu with Push the Limit some time. He's even more fun with Rage from the Punishing One. Not really tournament competitive because he's relatively expensive for two red dice, but tremendous fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rose
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did it go? I figure you will have a rough time with that Phantom. I tend to dislike that ship quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
How did it go? I figure you will have a rough time with that Phantom. I tend to dislike that ship quite a bit.

Oh, I just now realized. Make sure that you play the Phantom with the FAQ errata. It gets a bit more complex to play well and a slight bit weaker with those, but was a bit overpowered without.

Here's the place to find the most up-to-date FAQ:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.