Subject: High hopes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I am very excited about this being a big fan of horror themed games. However, I have not found one that captures that feeling of discovery, the unknown, and investigation. The slow unraveling of a mystery. I am hoping this is it. I also hope the clues you find will lead you in a direction, good or bad as it may be.

I will say that fury of Dracula comes close presenting a real feeling of excitement and dread, imagine if that had an automated Dracula app or automated hunters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
That could only happen, if the device would be able to see the investigators movement (Fury of Dracula). It is not impossible, but pretty hard to make, and needs special devices.

I think this app will automatically build the map, and place monsters on the table. The good thing that you, as a player won't see all the rooms. Like you can't see through walls and doors. So that could be a great surprise element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am really interested by this game and the thought of discovery and a mystery unfolding. I have always liked the idea of Mansions of Madness, but not the need for a keeper - so I certainly will give this a go, and hope it comes close to my hopes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bastion wrote:
That could only happen, if the device would be able to see the investigators movement (Fury of Dracula).

Actually, That part would be very easy. The app would just simply pop up a digital map and you click where the players move each turn. This would be more of a video/board game hybrid at this point, but it would be kinda cool. since this would be in addition to a fully working tabletop only board game, no one should object the the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
since this would be in addition to a fully working tabletop only board game, no one should object the the app.

But they will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope an editor will be included at some point in time in order to create you own adventures using the tiles and characters you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
no one should object the the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Bastion wrote:
That could only happen, if the device would be able to see the investigators movement (Fury of Dracula).

Actually, That part would be very easy. The app would just simply pop up a digital map and you click where the players move each turn. This would be more of a video/board game hybrid at this point, but it would be kinda cool. since this would be in addition to a fully working tabletop only board game, no one should object the the app.

I am working as an app designer, and what you just described, that would be extremly boring for the players. First you move on the board. Then you do the same action in an app. From that logic, it would be much easier to simply play the game as a multiplayer digital game, where everyone has a tablet or pc, and play on it.
Or if the players could play on a giant lcd screen, that would help too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph K
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:
Bastion wrote:

I am working as an app designer, and what you just described, that would be extremly boring for the players. First you move on the board. Then you do the same action in an app. From that logic, it would be much easier to simply play the game as a multiplayer digital game, where everyone has a tablet or pc, and play on it.

There's also this thing called epawn currently in development. Looks quite interesting.
You can see its potential use for things like Zombicide here.
*edit: you'll even see it in action for MoM at the end of the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Powell
Australia
Glenrowan
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much looking forward to this.
I just hope they playtested the scenarios properly this time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badshave wrote:
Bastion wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:
Bastion wrote:

There's also this thing called epawn currently in development. Looks quite interesting.

I understand that epawn is able to inject more theme into the experience, but it seems to me as if you would be looking at the screen more than you would be looking at the board. Every day all day at work, I have been staring at a monitor for decades, and then coming home to stare at another one (tv OR computer). I play board games to escape that lifestyle. Sorry, but I do not see epawn as any type of improvement. I hope that the MoM app is careful to be helpful while not being obtrusive.

I guess we will learn more about that tomorrow in FFGs next round of MoM reveals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
InvisibleRobots wrote:
badshave wrote:
Bastion wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:
Bastion wrote:

I understand that epawn is able to inject more theme into the experience, but it seems to me as if you would be looking at the screen more than you would be looking at the board. Every day all day at work, I have been staring at a monitor for decades, and then coming home to stare at another one (tv OR computer). I play board games to escape that lifestyle. Sorry, but I do not see epawn as any type of improvement. I hope that the MoM app is careful to be helpful while not being obtrusive.

I guess we will learn more about that tomorrow in FFGs next round of MoM reveals.

Just give the app to someone else to administrate, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bromley
msg tools
Something I'm excited about is the possibility that the gorgeous room tiles won't just have masses of cards slapped on top of them, and instead you'll be able to appreciate the artwork and design before you actually explore and remove the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matineeidyll129 wrote:
Something I'm excited about is the possibility that the gorgeous room tiles won't just have masses of cards slapped on top of them, and instead you'll be able to appreciate the artwork and design before you actually explore and remove the cards.

That bothered me a lot too in the first edition.
I think there will be small tokens instead now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.