Dominion: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bank and Fortune rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Z
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Last night we had both Bank and Fortune in the kingdom. I am wondering if order matters with these cards. Bank is worth 1 coin for each treasure card in play, including itself, and fortune doubles your coins if you already haven't done so. Does the order in which they are played matter?

Ex. You have in hand a gold, 2 x silver, bank, and fortune. You play the gold and silvers for 7 coin, the bank is played next, worth 4 coin (4 treasure cards) bringing the total to 11, then the fortune doubles it to 22. Or would the bank just be 5 because there are 5 total treasure cards, then the fortune doubling it making it 24 total?

Does that all make sense?

Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olofsson
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie13 wrote:
Last night we had both Bank and Fortune in the kingdom. I am wondering if order matters with these cards. Bank is worth 1 coin for each treasure card in play, including itself, and fortune doubles your coins if you already haven't done so. Does the order in which they are played matter?

Ex. You have in hand a gold, 2 x silver, bank, and fortune. You play the gold and silvers for 7 coin, the bank is played next, worth 4 coin (4 treasure cards) bringing the total to 11, then the fortune doubles it to 22. Or would the bank just be 5 because there are 5 total treasure cards, then the fortune doubling it making it 24 total?

Does that all make sense?

Z

Yes, the order matters. You play one treasure at a time, so if you play Bank first it is only worth 4 coins (the Fortune in your hand is not in play) and when Fortune is played it doubles 11 to 22. If you instead play Fortune first it will double 7 to 14, and then you play Bank which will be worth 5 making the total 19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've always played all treasures at once, not one at a time. I hope I'm not doing it wrong.

I would say you have 24. The bank is worth 5 since you have five treasures. Fortune doubles that to 24. I don't think order matters.

EDIT: I've been playing wrong. Order does matter. See my other response below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
splatteredbits wrote:
I've always played all treasures at once, not one at a time. I hope I'm not doing it wrong.

You're doing it wrong, though most of the time it doesn't matter. Fortune and Bank just happen to be two of the cards where it can actually matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the best place to make clear that order matters is the extended example of play in the Prosperity rules. The player there plays his Contraband first, because he doesn't want to show how much he has when his neighbor chooses a card he can't buy. He plays his Venture last, because he suspects it might find a Bank. If he had played his Venture first, the Bank it found would be worth two, instead it is worth five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm totally wrong. Order does matter. From the bottom of the sidebar on page 4 of the Prosperity rules:

"Players play their Treasure cards in the order they choose, which may be important and affect the amount a player has to spend in the Buy phase."

So, it would be best to play Bank before Fortune. Bank only gives one more if Fortune is first:

((3 + 2 + 2) * 2 (Fortune)) + 5 (Bank) = 19

Fortune's doubling power is best when it doubles Bank's effect:

(3 + 2 + 2 + 4 (Bank)) * 2 (Fortune) = 22

Even after more thank 130 plays, I still don't know the rules. Yikes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Order matters. If you have 3 banks, you play 1, and have 1 coin, play the second and get 2 more (for 3 total), and play the third for 3 more (or 6 total). You do not place them all at once and claim 9 total (3 for each).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Romano
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can't count Spoils for your Bank play. As soon as Spoils is played you have to put it back in the Spoils pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.