$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: How to beat the Wizard as the Beastmaster with the starting spellbooks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
msg tools
I played a game yesterday as the beastmaster with a friend who played the wizard. The game lasted 4 hours and was dragging and dragging as I couldn't see any good outcome and strategy to save my beastmaster who was really helpless with all his creatures on the board chasing the teleporting Wizard in vain. We are using the starting spellbooks and have already played about 10-12 games).

Basically, what happened was that we both moved towards each other to summon creatures and quickly cast spells. Despite my Mana flowers, I was channeling very poorly during all the game because of 1 Force Hold on my mage, 2 Essence Drain on 2 costly creatures, and 1 Mana Siphon. The Suppression Cloak was cast quite early (in the 3rd or 4th round) and it was efficiently preventing me from making big hits on the mage. I had to choose between attacking or casting spells. My swarm was useless as I had no creature with range attack to bypass the Suppression Cloak so paying 2 manas to attack the mage was mandatory. The choice was to either attack paying all my mana (6 manas), cast my only Dissolve on the Suppression Cloak or wait a couple of turns (as I wasn't channeling enough) to cast 1 Mage Wand with a Dissolve attached to it. I chose the latter to get rid of the Force Hold and 1 Essence Drain. I was channeling at 6 at this moment.

After doing next to nothing for some turns, I managed to summon 1 big creature (Grizzly) but I was stuck on the board with all my creatures (1 Cervere, 1 Fox, 1 Bobcat, 1 Grizzly and 1 Timber wolf) while the Wizard had Huggin, the Faerie, and lots of equipment like:
1 Dragonscale Hauberk
1 Elemental Wand with Teleport
1 Leather Boots
1 Mage Wand with Lightning Bolt
1 Suppression Cloak

I destroyed the Moonglow Amulet with 1 Dispel.

The Wizard also casted 1 Poison Gas Cloud in one of the zones in the middle of the board and I was at this point desperatly chasing after him with my creatures which always were 1 zone short or weren't making enough damages to bypass the Voltaric shield, the 3 armors and the 8+ Defense on the Wizard (also regenerating at 2 per turn), who was teleporting himself everywhere and casting his Lightning Bolts on my mage, doing severe and fatal damages.

I ended up losing to the Wizard after a 4 hour match which really seemed to drag after the first 2 hours.

What would be the strategies for the BM (channeling at 5-7) with no dissolve/dispel left, and 4-5 creatures on the board to finish a Wizard teleporting himself, casting Lightning Bolts each turn, with full equipment and supported by 1 Darkfenne Hydra, 1 Huggin, 1 Faerie?

Here are the cards of the starting spellbooks for the BM:
EQUIPMENT
1 Bearskin Armor
1 Elemental Cloak
1 Mage Wand
1 Regrowth Belt
1 Ring of Beasts
1 Staff of Beasts
CONJURATIONS
1 Lair
3 Mana Flower
1 Mohktari
1 Rajan’s Fury
3 Tanglevine
1 Tooth & Nail
2 Wall of Thorns
CREATURES
3 Bitterwood Fox
1 Cervere, The Forest Shadow
1 Emerald Tegu
2 Feral Bobcat
1 Mountain Gorilla
1 Redclaw, Alpha Male
1 Sosruko, Ferret Companion
1 Steelclaw Grizzly
2 Thunderift Falcon
3 Timber Wolf
ENCHANTMENTS
2 Bear Strength
1 Block
1 Bull Endurance
1 Cheetah Speed
1 Cobra Reflexes
1 Eagle Wings
1 Marked for Death
1 Mongoose Agility
1 Nullify
1 Regrowth
1 Retaliate
2 Rhino Hide
INCANTATIONS
1 Battle Fury
2 Call of the Wild
1 Charge
2 Dispel
1 Dissolve
1 Force Push
1 Group Heal
1 Heal
1 Knockdown
2 Minor Heal
1 Piercing Strike
1 Perfect Strike
1 Rouse the Beast
1 Shift Enchantment
ATTACKS
2 Geyser
1 Jet Stream

And the starting speelbook cards for the Wizard:
EQUIPMENT
1 Arcane Ring
1 Dragonscale Hauberk
1 Elemental Wand
1 Leather Boots
1 Mage Wand
1 Moonglow Amulet
1 Staff of the Arcanum
1 Suppression Cloak
CONJURATIONS
2 Mana Crystal
1 Mana Siphon
2 Poison Gas Cloud
CREATURES
2 Blue Gremlin
1 Darkfenne Hydra
1 Gorgon Archer
1 Huginn, Raven Familiar
2 Mana Leech
1 Moonglow Faerie
1 Stonegaze Basilisk
ENCHANTMENTS
1 Block
1 Circle of Lightning
2 Decoy
2 Essence Drain
1 Force Hold
1 Force Sword
1 Harmonize
1 Jinx
2 Nullify
1 Reverse Attack
1 Reverse Magic
1 Teleport Trap
INCANTATIONS
1 Banish
1 Dispel
2 Dissolve
1 Drain Power
2 Minor Heal
1 Purge Magic
2 Seeking Dispel
1 Sleep
1 Steal Enchantment
2 Teleport
ATTACKS
1 Chain Lightning
1 Electrify
2 Jet Stream
3 Lightning Bolt
1 Thunderbolt

I'm really scratching my head over this one!
Thanks in advance for your pointers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Force Hold has an upkeep that the Wizard has to pay, not the Beastmaster.

Don't waste Dissolve on Moonglow Amulet; save it for a Wand or Suppression Cloak or Armor. If the Wizard lured you into wasting your Dissolves/Dispels on his worst equipments/enchantments, then he outplayed you.

Teleport is very powerful in the base set. Don't let your opponent have an unanswered Mage Wand with Teleport, as that's going to be tough to overcome.

A Beastmaster needs to be aggressive. Don't sit back casting Mana Flowers and other support spells against a Wizard, allowing him to get Mana Siphon and Essence Drains out. Get 1 or 2 creatures in play and Rush your opponent before he can build up defences. Don't let up on the attack. The Wizard will win the long game if you let him; don't let it become a long game. You want to win in 10 rounds or less.

Maybe start with double-move and facedown enchantment on self; then Pet Grizzly on turn 2. Then charge in attacking. Use Tanglevine and similar to keep enemy from running away. Save Dissolve for a wand of Teleport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PODxt wrote:
We are using the starting spellbooks and have already played about 10-12 games).

Firstly, those starting spellbooks are there to showcase the card selection and mage, they aren't good beyond 2-3 games at most. Your problems mostly stem from needing more Dispel/Dissolve, and needing to prioritise how you use them better...

PODxt wrote:

I was channeling very poorly during all the game because of 1 Force Hold on my mage

Wait... Force Hold gives an upkeep cost to the CASTER. Note it's completely different to Essence Drain that puts an upkeep cost on the TARGET. That alone has caused a swing of 6 mana per turn. Half that number would be game over...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
msg tools
Yes, you guys are right, we thought the Force Hold added a trait to the enchanted creature!! That's quite a difference now, I understand we played to card wrong... and we already played 5 games this way!! Thanks for pointing that out!

iNano78 wrote:
Don't waste Dissolve on Moonglow Amulet; save it for a Wand or Suppression Cloak or Armor. If the Wizard lured you into wasting your Dissolves/Dispels on his worst equipments/enchantments, then he outplayed you.

You're right, sorry I confused the Moonglow amulet for the Suppression Cloak I managed to dissolve the Suppression Cloak and not the Moonglow Amulet which would have been a real waste!

So you mean it's better to save the Dissolve for the Wand+Teleport instead of using it for the Suppression Cloak?
I guess the answer to the Suppression cloak is to summon heavy creatures, but that means 1 or 2 turns casting next to nothing! And with no Mana Flowers to help the channeling I'm not sure how to keep up the flow of creatures coming against the Suppression Cloak, and Essence Drain on 2 useful creatures. But I'll try this start move in the next game and see how it comes up!

Kelanen wrote:
Firstly, those starting spellbooks are there to showcase the card selection and mage, they aren't good beyond 2-3 games at most. Your problems mostly stem from needing more Dispel/Dissolve, and needing to prioritise how you use them better...

I think this is very true, but I like the challenge to find a solution/strategy with the starting spellbooks, this is what I like about this game: see how you can adapt and find a winning strategy against the other mage! But we will definitely start creating our own spellbooks quite soon I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to what everyone else has said, the Wizard is playing a type of control book known as Mana Denial. All control books are designed to drag out the game. The longer the game lasts, the better they do, because they wear you down. They prevent you from being able to do much, so that they can simply slowly overwhelm you, and they can be really hard to beat. The trick is to not let them have a long enough game.

To use an analogy, in a foot race they aren't even trying to out run you. They're trying to trip you so that they can then just walk across the finish line. The only way for you to win is to get ahead of them really quickly so that they don't have time to trip you.

Thus, you have to go in fast and go in hard. Double move + Pet Grizzly can see you hitting your opponent on round 3. Then don't summon any other creatures. Support your Grizzly, gear up your Mage to also be a hard hitting threat, and prevent your opponent from neutralizing these threats or getting away from them. Pet bear will be dealing 9 Dice of Damage per round if you can keep the opponent still (so dissolving the Mage Wand with Teleport would be crucial) and then you can get your Mage up to a 6 Dice attack with just a Bear Strength. Together you can tear down your opponent pretty quick.

Also, if you're using your mage's action to attack your opponent, you won't need as much mana simply because you aren't casting as many spells.

You can modify this strategy to suit your own desires, but the point is to start hitting early, hitting hard, and hitting consistently so that you get the quick win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Deever
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
iNano78 wrote:
Force Hold has an upkeep that the Wizard has to pay, not the Beastmaster.

Teleport is very powerful in the base set. Don't let your opponent have an unanswered Mage Wand with Teleport, as that's going to be tough to overcome.

A Beastmaster needs to be aggressive. Don't sit back casting Mana Flowers and other support spells against a Wizard, allowing him to get Mana Siphon and Essence Drains out. Get 1 or 2 creatures in play and Rush your opponent before he can build up defences. Don't let up on the attack. The Wizard will win the long game if you let him; don't let it become a long game. You want to win in 10 rounds or less.

Maybe start with double-move and facedown enchantment on self; then Pet Grizzly on turn 2. Then charge in attacking. Use Tanglevine and similar to keep enemy from running away. Save Dissolve for a wand of Teleport.

What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.