No Man's Land: Trench Warfare 1914-1918» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some quick questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronnie Tucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, mostly one at the moment, but I haven't played the game yet. I'm sure there'll be more questions later.

The rule book says: There are three types of Barbed Wire: Thick (+1), Intact, or Damaged (-1). A Breach marker cancels Barbed Wires in the hexagon.

But my counters have Thick as -1 and Damaged as +1. Should I go with the book, or the counters?

Oh, and are there any videos explaining the rules, or play throughs of the game? Just curious as I learn the rules better from watching someone else play the game.

Thanks for designing NML Arnauld. Haven't played it yet, but it looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Congratulations ! Nobody noticed it !!
It will be corrected.
Counters are right.

No video for the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:
Congratulations ! Nobody noticed it !!
It will be corrected.
Counters are right.

Yay! Do I win a prize? laugh

I have another question, it's about firing: I have a French 2/2 unit who is firing on a German 3/2 unit. From what I can gather: I roll two dice, keep the highest number (eg: 1 and 4, so I keep the 4) and add the units size (so 4+3=7) which means the German unit is gone? Is that right?

If so it means I've wiped out half the German line in Scenario 1 through sheer luck. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No, the size is 2. The sum is 6. You are Pinned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:
No, the size is 2. The sum is 6. You are Pinned!

I'm pinned?! Huh?

Rule book says: If the player rolls a 6 but because of the die roll modifier the final result gives no effect, consider that the target is Pinned.

Is this a misprint then that should say the attacker is pinned?

---------------

I have another question: when I roll for my balloon and I get to reveal 2 sectors. What's a sector? Does it mean 2 hexes? Also, what's the point of flipping from a '?' to a 'Reveal'? Shouldn't I just remove the '?' counter?

--------------

Sorry about all the questions. I'm loving tinkering with NML, but the rule book could really do with some detailed examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ok ok, the German is Pinned (as you play solo, you are the German too, that's the reason why I said you were Pinned).

A Reveal marker is useful when you use the artillery (bonus on the Scatter Table).
Your (well... the German) units may un-hidden (because of a Fire Attack for exemple) without being in a Revealed sector/hex.
I use the term 'sector' because the enemy artillery may also be Revealed by Reconnaissance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:
Ok ok, the German is Pinned (as you play solo, you are the German too, that's the reason why I said you were Pinned).

A Reveal marker is useful when you use the artillery (bonus on the Scatter Table).
Your (well... the German) units may un-hidden (because of a Fire Attack for exemple) without being in a Revealed sector/hex.
I use the term 'sector' because the enemy artillery may also be Revealed by Reconnaissance.

OK. Thanks for clarifying those things.

Have you thought about maybe doing a post on this forum that's a step-by-step run through (every detail) of a scenario? It'd really help to show exactly how things work.

I really want to do some videos showing NML, but I daren't do them at the moment as I'm pretty sure I'm doing things wrong.

Thanks for all your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Feel free to do it, I will correct you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:

But I don't want to do it, upload it, and find that I'm completely wrong.

I'd rather know, in advance, that I'm maybe 90% right. THEN I'd do a video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:

What I've done is create a video (~35mins) which is me tinkering around, going through a setup and full turn, explaining what I think should happen, and asking you if I'm right, or what should happen in a situation.

I'm still uploading the video, but I'll message you the link, if that's OK, as I won't keep the video it's just for you to see and help clarify things.

Once I've got your thoughts on things I'll create a video for others to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You may send it via wetransfer if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:
You may send it via wetransfer if you want.

I have a really slow upload speed, and I've already started it uploading. I hope a YouTube link is OK?

It'll be another 90 mins before it's finished uploading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.