Subject: How will MoM v.2 handle puzzles and locks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of us MoM v1 veterans saw the puzzle feature as a blessing and a curse. The first time one of these was encountered, the novelty really piqued our interest, but occasionally, having to go through the mechanics of setting the puzzle up (as the Keeper) and solving it (as the Investigators) could interrupt the flow of the game. With the app, however, the puzzles could be streamlined and remain a part of the mystery, but not be constrained to the mechanics of rotating or swapping physical tiles. The possibilities are enormous. AND there would be no downtime in setting one up as the Keeper - its access would be immediate. Or would featuring the entirety of the puzzles within the app be too much like an app game and remove too much from the physical nature of the game? Time will tell - but it's interesting to speculate how the designers sought to strike the balance between what the app will do and what will remain part of the physical game. Nonetheless, I'm excited for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul de Senquisse
France
flag msg tools
Well, some of the previewed cards mention puzzles, and none of the leaked component lists (French and German editions) mention puzzle tiles/pieces, so I think it's safe to assume the app will fully handle the puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, someone here on BGG said that the puzzles are still in and that they are in the app. If that is true that will make the puzzles actually part of the adventure rather than a distraction from. Also, being video game in nature there are really no limits to what type of puzzles can be incorporated! Not to mention the video rewards/scares that could be dished out at the end of the puzzles. (Like a nice jump scare for failing

Again, this is all just speculation at this point, but the options are truly wide open with the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desenquisse wrote:
Well, some of the previewed cards mention puzzles, and none of the leaked component lists (French and German editions) mention puzzle tiles/pieces, so I think it's safe to assume the app will fully handle the puzzles.

You mean the officially availabe component list:
http://www.heidelbaer.de/dyn/products/detail?ArtNr=HE622

There is no indication of the puzzle mechanic mentioned, so one may deduce it to be taken by the app. Which makes sense.

I´m sure this game aspect will be clarified by FFG preview articles either still today or the next days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
It's actually quite interesting, as it'll make MoM an actual hybrid game - gameplay will actually be happening on the app (rather than it just being a director).

That's distinct from Road To Legend, Alchemists, Golem Arcana, XCOM and others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps puzzles should be as in the non-digital game instead of on the app. If you don't complete the puzzle you will have to go back to it later and this may end up being confusing to say the least. The App should not control everything (might as well create a video game of MOM) and there needs to be player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bekil
Germany
Erding
Deutschland
flag msg tools
I think using the app for puzzles will be a good move. It´s faster to build up, doesn´t Need the table space and you can easy create a lot of different puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
grahamj wrote:
Perhaps puzzles should be as in the non-digital game instead of on the app. If you don't complete the puzzle you will have to go back to it later and this may end up being confusing to say the least. The App should not control everything (might as well create a video game of MOM) and there needs to be player interaction.

The slippery slope argument is a little much. Adding the puzzle mechanic to an app would decrease playtime, since you wouldn't have to set the damn thing up and I don't think the addition of the electronic puzzle suggests the app is "controlling everything". Also, it will mean a lot more options for puzzles and replay-ability.

Placing the puzzle mechanic into an app is really the best solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the official FFG news article from yesterday:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/26/the-mad...

Quote:
Secrets Still To Come

The many mysteries of Mansions of Madness Second Edition are still being uncovered, so stay tuned to learn more about all of the game’s captivating elements, from the app and its deeply immersive scenarios to the conversion kit and the endless possibilities it provides. On Thursday, we will dig into the app, including its impact on game set-up, puzzle-solving, and generating events. Then on Monday, come back to learn more about the included conversion kit, exactly how it brings the monsters and map tiles from your first-edition game into the second edition, and the monster and investigator figures you will find in your game box.

* Emphasis mine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
grahamj wrote:

Right. But puzzles in MoM 1st edition explicitly forbid player interaction. Other players aren't allowed to help. So I'm not sure what you lose by putting it in the app? Other than setup time. Also don't know why going back to it would be confusing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Be interesting if they incorporated some music with the ongoing narrative produced by the system, that way I could have Jeopardy music appropriately playing during puzzle solving moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.