Subject: Attacking from a forest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Cook
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking at the rules (base game) I see if you attack from a forest you roll 2 dice max. I didn't see anything about attacking someone in a forest.

However, when looking at a terrain summary file here at Geek, I see a 2 dice limitation with a 2 way arrow, suggesting that attacking a forest may also limit you to two dice.

Wondering which it is.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
Can you feel the Threat Level rising!?
mbmbmbmbmb
The summary is correct, and the base game rules say: "A unit battling an enemy unit on a forest hex or a unit on a forest hex battling out, will roll a maximum of 2 dice in close combat." (page 19)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
Ok thanks, I believe you.

However, my rules don't say that, so are there newer rules?

I'm using 2nd Edition, and the description for forests is on page 17, not 19.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT has living rules posted on their site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, this is how terrain works in Ancients - both parties are limited to two dice (with some exceptions, like infantry fighting downhill).

This is one of those "design for effect" decisions that makes Ancients what it is - you don't need to make a ton of special rules that a Hoplite Phalanx can't fight as well in close terrain as Auxilia, you just need to make it so that the Auxilia suffer less of a penalty (three dice down to two, rather than four/five dice to two) - that way Auxilia are at least equal to Heavies when fighting in terrain, which usually means that you're losing more of their capability with the more valuable Heavies.

(The extra move and move+battle into woods help as well, but the dice are the main thing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd edition was 1st edition with a few typos fixed.

3rd edition and later incorporated all the feedback and FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.