1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Game now tied to app obsolescence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Goodman
Canada
flag msg tools
I can see the value that the app brings to this game and it really does seem like a great idea. That said, I lament that the game's usefulness will now be tied to the availability of both the app and hardware that is able to run the app.

One of the reasons I turned to board games was that I found the money I was spending on video games was essentially wasted after a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
ibkevg wrote:
I can see the value that the app brings to this game and it really does seem like a great idea. That said, I lament that the game's usefulness will now be tied to the availability of both the app and hardware that is able to run the app.

One of the reasons I turned to board games was that I found the money I was spending on video games was essentially wasted after a few years.

Most (obviously not all) video games are designed with a single play-through in mind.

You could play MoM hundreds of times in the time it would take for the app to become unusable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Heath
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I turned away from video games too, but I don't feel like my money was wasted on them. I had great fun with them, I had my money's worth a lot of the time, and if I'd kept all my old consoles and games they'd still be playable now

I think the same can be said for all the app board games, you can have your fun, get your money's worth, and that could be all that's necessary. I don't believe that these apps will be obsolete though, through emulation and websites that store old versions of apps I think we'll be okay for a long long time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's anything like the Road to Legend app, it'll also be released on PC-- meaning you shouldn't have any issue finding a way to run it for years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I reviewed MoM a little while back, and predicted that a new edition would have an app. I'm really not surprised, and this is one game where an app would really help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, the app should be supported for quite a while, but I see what you are saying. I have a lot of 70's & 80's board games, like "Rise and fall of the Third Reich" that I'm sure would not currently be supported if they were based on computer tech of the era, (read C64).

Anyway, I think even if the app does become obsolete, I think you could with the help of all the great folks on BGG you could create the missing content to add the keeper to ver. 2. especially if you already have ver. 1 keeper content. That's my thinking, and why my usual cold attitude towards app dependent games has really warmed up this time around.

So far, from not duplicating the original content, to allowing you to incorporate the two versions, FFG has done everything right. If they include a way to add user content to the app, I will have to say they knocked this one out of the park!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Do you foresee .exe becoming obsolete anytime soon?

Any old laptop will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Well, the app should be supported for quite a while, but I see what you are saying. I have a lot of 70's & 80's board games, like "Rise and fall of the Third Reich" that I'm sure would not currently be supported if they were based on computer tech of the era, (read C64).

And yet a quick google of C64 emulator seems to suggest that, whilst not supported/updated, you could probably still run the original software today.

Much as I expect (at least the android version of) the MoM app to be playable for as long as there is a will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artayd2
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
If it's anything like the Road to Legend app, it'll also be released on PC-- meaning you shouldn't have any issue finding a way to run it for years to come.

I must have missed this, is this confirmed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Yeah - if this were purely iOS, or even purely mobile then maybe you'd have a point. There would be ways around it if you were careful, but you'd have a point.

But if it's on Steam, that means PC, and modern PCs can still run code from the 80s. If not directly then by emulation. In terms of the C64, not only can you currently run all that code but nearly all of it is available somewhere on the internet. Everything ever released.

I'm near positive that the physical components will become unusable before the app in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goodman
Canada
flag msg tools
Software obsolescence is a fact of life and a main reason for so many companies to continue to run very old versions of Windows on their computers - they have mission critical apps that cannot be brought forward easily or cheaply enough.

Also, I've had a number of PC games from the 90s that nolonger worked - so it definitely does happen. For games, the reality is that I don't care that much because modern video gaming experiences are so much better.

But when I'm old enough to have a grandson, it's a pretty good bet that I won't be able share with him my love for the XCOM boardgame.

I still think the gaming possibilities that a companion app offers makes it worth accepting the likely problems but I think it would great if games like these offered a non-app means of playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Scott
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if gaming app obsolescence really becomes a thing, in 20-30 years, the future kickstarters/niche innovators will find a way to sell us a way of cloning "our golden age". Heck the classic NES is even getting re-released! It's why old bands still go on tour. Nostalgia makes a lot of money, once it hits the correct, paying demographic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
ibkevg wrote:
For games, the reality is that I don't care that much because modern video gaming experiences are so much better.

When you're old enough to have a grandson, won't modern board gaming experiences also be so much better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
ibkevg wrote:

Also, I've had a number of PC games from the 90s that nolonger worked - so it definitely does happen. For games, the reality is that I don't care that much because modern video gaming experiences are so much better.

Even then, if you cared that much, you could run a VirtualPC, install Windows 95 on it, and play those old games. Not exactly convenient but they're also not lost to time forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artayd2 wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

Yep, it's mentioned in the announcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun now..don't worry about 20-30 years down the road. You'll either be gone or we'll have some crazy virtual reality stuff and this type of entertainment will be an afterthought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
Have fun now..don't worry about 20-30 years down the road. You'll either be gone or we'll have some crazy virtual reality stuff and this type of entertainment will be an afterthought.

Still waiting for CthulhuGo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
This is closely linked to the same logic that says you shouldn't get Pandemic legacy because "it's only got so many games in it". Even if we did the math, on iOS the app can't be obsolete for at least four years, and if Fantasy Flight, the kings of endless expansions, don't have a plan to keep this up to date to keep selling you addons, then there is something wrong with the world.

And this says nothing of a world full of fanboys who will make third party versions and extra missions through the PC, app development and much more.

Seriously, either buy it and enjoy it, or don't buy it. Moaning about the app possibly having obsolescence at a much, much later time is just ridiculous - you will have had more than your money's worth by this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't understand why people worry about this. FFG is not going anywhere. Even if they did, someone would put the app out there. This is a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

Worried tech will out run it? By then you could by a cheap old tablet for like $15 bucks and just throw it in the box with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
ibkevg wrote:
Have no fear, with the Cult Of The New in full effect most people that buy it will own it for about 6 months and then sell/trade it off. Problem solved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I really don't understand why people worry about this. FFG is not going anywhere. Even if they did, someone would put the app out there. This is a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

Worried tech will out run it? By then you could by a cheap old tablet for like $15 bucks and just throw it in the box with the game.

Seriously, the chicken little-ing is absurd.

Unless...are we sure we'll still be able to use electricity to charge a tablet in ten years?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already had one Kindle Fire die on me. Perhaps I should buy a stack of them just for current app-driven boardgames...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goodman
Canada
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
When you're old enough to have a grandson, won't modern board gaming experiences also be so much better?

Possibly but I think it's disingenuous to imply that the rate of change of board game production vs video game production/tech is remotely similar (especially with 2016 being the year of VR.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artayd2 wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

What are you wanting to have confirmed, that the mansions of madness 'app' will be on pc? I don't know if they called out a Steam release explicitly but they do have a computer screen among the digital devices showing the app here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
artayd2 wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

What are you wanting to have confirmed, that the mansions of madness 'app' will be on pc? I don't know if they called out a Steam release explicitly but they do have a computer screen among the digital devices showing the app here:

Not only do they call out Steam specifically, there's a big ol' Steam logo at the bottom of the first article.

EDIT: Hint: It's in the "FAQ" at the bottom of the first article (from July 25).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.