Hide
15 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: New info rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
http://usaopoly.com/blog/harry-potter-hogwarts-battle-deck-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
Definitely looks like a campaign structure. Looks like the perfect game for my family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I've missed something, we are basically seeing Ascension mechanics with a health meter. I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, but its not particularly inspiring. Hopefully future posts will reveal something a bit more unique. (Still, a rethemed Ascension wouldn't be all that bad.) The use of tokens is interesting though as the abilities on the Weasleys that give everybody influence show that the designers are thinking about "team" oriented abilities. I'm also curious as why we don't see the Weasleys until Game 2. Is there a tutorial setup or perhaps a campaign mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Unless I've missed something, we are basically seeing Ascension mechanics with a health meter. I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, but its not particularly inspiring. Hopefully future posts will reveal something a bit more unique. (Still, a rethemed Ascension wouldn't be all that bad.) The use of tokens is interesting though as the abilities on the Weasleys that give everybody influence show that the designers are thinking about "team" oriented abilities. I'm also curious as why we don't see the Weasleys until Game 2. Is there a tutorial setup or perhaps a campaign mode?

Well, since the other Weasleys begin to play a more important role starting with Chamber of Secrets, this is probably why the first game, focusing on the first year at Hogwarts, does not introduce them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
I don't see Ascension any more than any other deck builder. Play cards to buy cards is in every one of them. The team aspect looks nice.

I'm curious as to how attack is used. Just punching baddies? Will we have to close locations?

I'm a day one buyer regardless because there is no quality HP game out there and I love the deck building mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
I don't see Ascension any more than any other deck builder. Play cards to buy cards is in every one of them. The team aspect looks nice.

I'm curious as to how attack is used. Just punching baddies? Will we have to close locations?

I'm a day one buyer regardless because there is no quality HP game out there and I love the deck building mechanic.

Well, it's an Ascension/Legendary style deckbuilder in that there's a pool of cards that are revealed that you can purchase rather than something like Dominion where everything is available from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
swirlsaepi wrote:
NinjaGigolo wrote:

Well, it's an Ascension/Legendary style deckbuilder in that there's a pool of cards that are revealed that you can purchase rather than something like Dominion where everything is available from the start.

Ok. Fair point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Jo
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still wondering if those dice have stickers on them or not. The picture of them is not very flattering..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Meister
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah Jo wrote:
I'm still wondering if those dice have stickers on them or not. The picture of them is not very flattering..

Agreed. If this were being put out by Rio Grand or another publisher, I likely would've preordered it already. As is, there just isn't enough info provided for me to consider this a must have.

They'll sell a lot simply based on theme, but I'm not biting until I see some reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
I'm a buyer purely on theme for my family. But deck building as a mechanic has been refined so much in my opinion that I don't think it can be terrible. It could be kind of meh but to me an average game with a great theme usually gets played more than vice versa. Again, that's just my situation.

I have spent many more hours playing Star Wars Risk 2015 than any other 4 games I own combined just because my kid loves (and gets) it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is the DESIGNER? "N/A" seriously? I mean, with this IP, the game might have designed itself, but I bet USAopoly could give some credit to SOMEONE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thorphin wrote:
Who is the DESIGNER? "N/A" seriously? I mean, with this IP, the game might have designed itself, but I bet USAopoly could give some credit to SOMEONE.

This was a collaborative design effort between USAopoly and Forrest-Pruzan Creative (FPC). The design team at FPC designed the base mechanics for game play, and USAopoly did all the development and customization for Harry Potter.

Andrew Wolf
Creative Content Development Manager - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz Schubert
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too abstract
For my taste this game looks too abstract. The effects on the cards seem super bland and samey and don't have a strong thematic connection to the name of the card.
For example, Quidditch gear gives the player one attack and one health. I could imagine that the attack represents chasing a bludger at the opponent and the health represents recreational aspect of Quidditch. So it kind of makes sense, but it's very abstracted.
Maybe the effects get more complex and thematic in later games, but the cards they've revealed so far don't make me hopeful.

P.S.: At least Wingardium Leviosa's effect ("You may put items you aquire on top of your deck of in your discard pile.") feels inspired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Zamomin wrote:
For my taste this game looks too abstract. The effects on the cards seem super bland and samey and don't have a strong thematic connection to the name of the card.
For example, Quidditch gear gives the player one attack and one health. I could imagine that the attack represents chasing a bludger at the opponent and the health represents recreational aspect of Quidditch. So it kind of makes sense, but it's very abstracted.
Maybe the effects get more complex and thematic in later games, but the cards they've revealed so far don't make me hopeful.

P.S.: At least Wingardium Leviosa's effect ("You may put items you aquire on top of your deck of in your discard pile.") feels inspired.

Yeah, most of the cards in this game are going to have simplistic effects. I think it will still be a fun simple game, but not as thematic as we would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johansen
msg tools
It's true that many of the cards don't "do" something related to the name. It's the one reason that I gave the game only 9/10 stars. There needed to be a balance between family groups and gamers, and I believe that this was a function of that. However, the atmosphere is squarely Harry Potter! I've played this game with a number of my fellow members of the Central Florida Slug Club, and our discriminating palates were quite satisfied by the HP feel of it all. Plus, with 7 games and scalable difficulty modes, there's superior replay value here.

As for the dice, they are among the best that I've ever seen in a mass-market game. The translucency feels "magical" to us when held up to light, and the stickers are encased below the die's surface, eliminating the wearing away that befalls dice from nearly every other game that I own.

I highly, highly recommend this game for players of all levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.