Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Keddie
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi!

I am super excited to see Random Encounter: Plains of the Troll King now out being played in the wild!

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have in this thread. I will update this top part of the post with any FAQ style questions that may be given and I am also happy to answer any design, process or art questions below too

Thanks for playing!

FAQ:

Q: Do I look at the cards I am dealt before building my five encounters?
A: Yes! You can combine the cards in your hand in many crafty ways to build encounters that can defeat your opponents. Remember, Red and Blue Star cards cannot be placed together and Green Star cards cannot be alone.

Q: What happens if I have multiple Green Star cards in one battle?

A: The Encounters will swap once for each Green Star card that is taking part in the battle.

Q: Do the cards fit back in the box sleeved?
A: They will if you remove the moulded plastic insert. This will become important as more expansions/sets are released. A poly bag is also supplied to keeps cards in if you like to have a more portable experience!

Q: Are blank, previously-defeated encounter spaces counted when riding?
A: No. Blank spaces are no longer counted when moving spaces.

Q: If there is an illegal combo (red and blue cards) in the boss room...I remove the two cards and replace with cards from the boss deck?

A: For each illegal move in the encounter you remove the cards creating this illegal move and replace them with ONE boss card. It sure makes it hard but a well prepared traveller can overcome anything in their way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It says 1-5 players on Amazon and 2-5 here. Are there solo rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Keddie
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yes! The game is 1-5 players. There is a single player 'Adventure Mode' which has its own rule set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider it purchased

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the cards fit back in the box sleeved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are blank, previously-defeated encounter spaces counted when riding?

And if there is an illegal combo (red and blue cards) in the boss room...I remove the two cards and replace with cards from the boss deck? Defeating that encounter would be virtually impossible would it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Keddie
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Q: Do the cards fit back in the box sleeved?

A: They will if you remove the moulded plastic insert. This will become important as more expansions/sets are released. A poly bag is also supplied to keeps cards in if you like to have a more portable experience!

Q: Are blank, previously-defeated encounter spaces counted when riding?

A: No. Blank spaces are no longer counted when moving spaces.

Q: And if there is an illegal combo (red and blue cards) in the boss room...I remove the two cards and replace with cards from the boss deck? Defeating that encounter would be virtually impossible would it not?

A: For each illegal move in the encounter you remove the cards creating this illegal move and replace them with ONE boss card. It sure makes it hard but a well prepared traveller can overcome anything in their way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks! I'm sure I'll have more to come...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you ride up to the number on the card discarded or exactly the number on the card discarded?

And once built, can you add to your encounter on a future discovery, or once built, it stays the same until destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Keddie
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You ride forward the exact number of the discarded creatures level. If this causes you to loop around then do so.

Once built you can add to your encounter continuously as you carry on with your adventure, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hicks
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
Do you only win loot if you attack your opponent's pile that had the loot die behind it? Or do you always get one loot when you win any battle and if you attack the pile with the loot die behind it do you get an additional loot (total 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In solo, if a boss is swapped in for an illegal card combo, and I win the encounter, can I keep the boss as one of my loot rewards?

And can subsequently use its card text power in future encounters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you no longer have cards to discard to ride, because they are all in your encounter, do you lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Keddie
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Q: Do you only win loot if you attack your opponent's pile that had the loot die behind it? Or do you always get one loot when you win any battle and if you attack the pile with the loot die behind it do you get an additional loot (total 2).

A: Yes. You only win loot from defeating the encounter with the loot die behind it. You can win extra loot at the end of a round by winning the most battles at the table.

Q: In solo, if a boss is swapped in for an illegal card combo, and I win the encounter, can I keep the boss as one of my loot rewards?

And can subsequently use its card text power in future encounters?

A: Yes, you can recruit the boss card! However, The boss cards only activate abilities when they are discovered. When put into the player's encounter they will not be discovered and not activate an ability.

Q: (solo mode) If you no longer have cards to discard to ride, because they are all in your encounter, do you lose?

A: You lose the game if you can no longer perform an action in solo mode. If you cannot ride and you still have to find more keys - you have lost the game. If you can still battle and enter the boss room without riding again then you may still continue to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Osborne
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
In the single player game, if both encounters have blue or both have red characters, do you move on to counting levels or is there some kind of order of operations for resolving creature effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Keddie
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Q: In the single player game, if both encounters have blue or both have red characters, do you move on to counting levels or is there some kind of order of operations for resolving creature effects?

A: Green star effects always resolve first and Blue/Red star cards are checked during the resolution of the battle. If both battling encounters have a blue or a red star card - there is no clear winner. So, you move on to counting the overall level of each encounter to find out who the winner of that battle is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.