1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games under 2000 ratings that you think are underrated rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
EDIT 1: I was browsing through all board games on BBG and I realized that those under 2000 ratings, I've never heard of them. This got me thinking that I may be missing some well worth having but underrated games and I would like to know them. So, what games do you consider underrated and believe deserves everyone's attention, women and men alike?

Per e.g. I recently bought The Ravens of Thri Sahashri after reading Rahdo's review. I realized that this game has only 194 ratings on BBG. That for me is very underrated.

EDIT 2: Some may think that 2000 ratings is too much but for novice like me, that's where board games stop being familiar. I really don't know any of the board games under 2000 ratings and that's why I consider them underrated. Maybe think of it as which are underrated next to the popular board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Underrated games (under 2000 votes) you think deserves everyone's attention
Struggle for the Galactic Empire is one of my favorite games and it has 181 ratings. I imagine there are many games with fewer than that number of ratings which I like. I've never paid attention to that stat before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that there is a concerted effort to rate games that may be skewed by their low number of existing ratings, with Geeklists intended to push the number of ratings over 500, which I gather is when the rating is reasonably statistically significant. The most recent one is:

500+ "Rating Club" - Session 3 (July 2016)

I'd like to see more ratings for Tin Goose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Stockpile has 1300 ratings and is hardly unknown, it really should have more ratings. I find it to be a very very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indian Chief 2-8p modern playing card game. It's not my favourite game of all time but I like it enough to have logged 45 plays. It's quick & scales well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nadigames93 wrote:
I realized that this game has only 194 votes on BBG. That for me is very underrated.

I think many readers will be thrown off by your terminology. It seems to me you are speaking there of games with very few ratings. Meanwhile I believe most people will interpret "underrated" as a game having been given lower lower value ratings than the writer thinks the game deserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon - much better than the original, and deserves attention. Original is also good (top 800), but this deserves to be seen and played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hancock
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/67878/dungeon-crawler

Dungeon Crawler... A great game for analysis and problem solving. I have only played it solo. It was designed for solo but can support more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acedaryl1 wrote:
While Stockpile has 1300 ratings and is hardly unknown, it really should have more ratings. I find it to be a very very good game.

This one hasn't had wide distribution long enough to really lament a low number of ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
The Big Book of Madness has about 1200 ratings and I think is a pretty fun coop.

Gold West is a fun mid weight euro with about 800 ratings that has a kinda old school feel to it.

Steam Works is a tile laying, engine building game that I enjoyed a lot with less than 300 ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kvam
Norway
Hundeidvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SOS Titanic and Cosmic Run deserves more attension
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2000 ratings is pretty good in my opinion since many games have 1st print runs in the realm of 3000 and only a small % of those who buy these copies will rate it on BGG. Quality games with under 1000 ratings is probably a better cut-off. And games that came out less than a year ago are probably still in the process of being sought out by gamers and climbing in number of ratings.

PnP games inherently have this problem. I'm biased being a big cycling fan, but I think Tour: Cycle Free wins for being the best game with the fewest ratings. Expansions and updated versions also generally have less ratings.

After adding Num Voters as a column in my collection list and sorting, I discovered the 5 games that I rate 8+ that have under 1000 ratings.

AGoT: A Feast of Crows- 752 ratings - IMO a must-have expansion if you have AGoT 2nd version. Makes the game so much faster.

Winds of Plunder - 673 ratings - this game is actually pretty well-known, not sure why it has so few ratings.

Lost Valley: The Yukon Goldrush 1896 - 369 ratings - the updated version of a great sandbox game; bad rules and components issues really hurt it.

Leader 1: Hell of the North - 313 ratings - the updated version of a great cycling game.

Suburbia 5* - 274 ratings - with the popularity of the base game, no idea why this expansion has so few ratings. Maybe because it has a symbol in the name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Indian Chief 2-8p modern playing card game. It's not my favourite game of all time but I like it enough to have logged 45 plays. It's quick & scales well.

I'll check this one out - I'm always interested in more modern games using a standard playing deck. I'm a fan of Following Suit, a hidden gem from James Ernest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2000 ratings is a lot! That would get you BGG hits like Grand Austria Hotel (1970 ratings) and Mottainai (1406 ratings).

Under 200, though, there are some very well-hidden gems.

Swedish Parliament 2014 (but maybe only 100 copies were made)
Catchup (it's an easy free PnP, so, no excuse)
Tier auf Tier: Das Duell (maybe the best Tier Auf Tier, since it's realtime)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
2000 ratings is pretty good in my opinion since many games have 1st print runs in the realm of 3000 and only a small % of those who buy these copies will rate it on BGG. Quality games with under 1000 ratings is probably a better cut-off. And games that came out less than a year ago are probably still in the process of being sought out by gamers and climbing in number of ratings.

I agree. 2000 ratings is quite a lot. Having under 2000 isn't even close to a tight enough condition to claim a game is underrated IMO.

1000 is a much better fit but let's go even better. How about some titles with < 500 ratings (many of which I need to rate as well, so I'm part of the problem ) :

Airborne Commander - 131 ratings, 7.31 avg - small but tight and tense game; solo-only which explains the low rating count. There are a number of other solo-only games that similarly suffer low rating counts due to being niche titles but are also very, very good.

Paradox - 150 ratings, 7.70 avg - fantastic drafting game with both Bejeweled (no, really!) and rondel-ish mechanisms. Amazing artwork too. Really awesome game that needs more exposure.

Tail Feathers - 179 ratings, 7.87 avg - surprised this one has such a low count. Beautiful minis and fun tactical combat in the cute Mice and Mystics universe. This should be on more shelves than it is.

The Networks - 193 ratings, 7.69 avg - hopefully this one is just a matter of time as it's a title just now releasing to Kickstarter backers. Amazingly fun game about running a TV network and putting on the best shows to gain the most viewers. Don't be scared away by the art--the game underneath is brilliant.

Space Cadets: Away Missions - 344 ratings, 7.70 avg - best light dungeon crawler out there IMO. Easy to learn but with satisfyingly difficult decisions and a boatload of scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
Struggle for the Galactic Empire is one of my favorite games and it has 181 ratings. I imagine there are many games with fewer than that number of ratings which I like. I've never paid attention to that stat before.

Solitaire games are also destined for a low number of ratings. Although I play a good amount of solo wargaming, I'm not a big fan of single-player games, much preferring juggling 2+ players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Swedish Parliament 2014 (but maybe only 100 copies were made)

Whoa, I had no idea this existed! I was just saying to my wife yesterday that a really under-used theme is Swedish parliamentary elections.

Ok, sorry for the sarcasm, but in fact I do feel that multi-party European politics is a much more interesting setting for games than binary US elections. Even if it is depicting 2014, it shouldn't include that in the title - it just dates and detracts from it. With a better title (ideally in Swedish untranslated a la Die Macher), better components, and a bigger print run (maybe GMT would be interested), maybe it could do well with Die Macher fans looking for a similar, shorter game that can hit the table more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Soldier Kings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipwrights of the North Sea - 422 ratings.

Nice 2-5 player 45-60 minutes game. Play it with the free PnP "expansion" (I really see it as a correction to the game): Shipwrights of the North Sea: The Townsfolk Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rogers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trickerion Trickerion: Legends of Illusionis an awesome worker placement game that has not received the attention it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Even if it is depicting 2014, it shouldn't include that in the title - it just dates and detracts from it.

Why? I mean, that's the specific election it's simulating.

On the other hand, in Swedish it's just "Valspelet" ("The Election Game"), so clearly the designer agrees with you... some of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I was surprised to discover that Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise is just over 1500 ratings. Similar to Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. Both are great game which, I believed, were quite well-known, but that may not be the case after all.

Also, Brick Party, which I love, has a whooping 83 ratings laugh I guess the non-availability in the US is a big factor (though that will change in the future).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon - much better than the original, and deserves attention. Original is also good (top 800), but this deserves to be seen and played.

Yeah but I wouldn't look at a special edition of the game if the number of ratings is concerned.
My personal example is Tiny Epic Galaxies. The basegame, the mini-expansion and the "deluxe" version (just the basegame and the mini-expansion shipped together, nothing else, no stretch goals or special components), each have their own entry.

Or a more common example:
If you want to know how often Carcassonne was rated do you look for Carcassonne or for Carcassonne Big Box 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tunhell is a fun and inexpensive little card game that plays in about 45 minutes and has a very little footprint. It isn't the game of the year but it fills a space in my collection pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assault on Doomrock has a mere 528 ratings. It's my current favorite solo adventuring game. It features some very elegant mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.