1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: If GF9 never does another expansion, what are we missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I was thinking about Firefly, as I often do! With excitement swirling around the new Star Trek game, JonSnow had a side conversation in which I confessed a tinge of bitterness at that game because there's a part of me that feels it's at the expense of Firefly. JS noted that, basically, Firefly has had a good run (which I agree with)...

But let's assume for a moment that the product line is, indeed, complete. What did we miss out on? What do we wish we had?

Speaking for myself, I know that GF9 hinted at three things that would have been very interesting:

1) New Misbehave cards

2) Shuttles integrated into the game

3) More ship packs (possibly in association with the MMO).

* THE RIM'S THE THING: I was also anxious to see if the designers would do anything to pull the Rim decks into a more integrated for. I know many people had posited a second "Breakin' Atmo" type product, this one centered around the Rim Contacts and Supply Decks, possibly including Piracy Jobs for the Rim Contacts, too.

* XIA-STYLE SHIPS? Given that there was implication that ships might be inspired by the MMO, and the MMO seems to indicate a progression through different ships, would we have seen different "tiers" of ships, allowing you to progress through different vehicles in the course of a game? In a sense, this violates the feel of Firefly, but would be interesting nonetheless.

* MORE PLAY STYLES: Although folks seem pretty content with the PVP, there have often been conversations devoted to campaign play, cooperative play, and more robust solo play.

* LAST BUT NOT LEAST: Promo card = The Good Dogs Guy.

So what do you wish we would get? Or miss that we didn't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these I think would make good "official" expansions; others get too far away from the core of the game but could work for third parties.

What I'd like to see officially:

- More Misbehaves
- Piracy jobs for new contacts who don't have them
- More supply cards for Beaumonde and Meridian
- More Jetwash/Esmeralda-style ship packs (i.e. without lots of new cards)

I'm neutral about:

- Shuttles (depends on the implementation, I'd like to see these as some sort of "always available" add-on that you could buy somewhere like Osiris)

For third parties:

- New play styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More story cards.

I know that there are a load of fan-made ones out there, but I'd like a few more "official" ones if there were to be more expansions. They can come via ship packs, or as a stand alone upgrade, but that is the main thing that will keep the game getting repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek has a taxonomy of the existing story cards (as far as I remember, "cash grab" vs "complete goals" vs something else), and I'd like to see more go outside that space rather than seeing new variations on existing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not to sidetrack, but I think the breakdown was CASH GRAB (where total $$$ is the winning factor) vs GOAL ORIENTED (where you get a goal for some repeatable activity and most Goals win) vs STORY ORIENTED (where there are usually 3 distinct and specific goals that must be completed sequentially).

I don't want to derail this thread so early, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on what different story cards might look like. Maybe we should start a new thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
gwek wrote:
So, I was thinking about Firefly, as I often do! With excitement swirling around the new Star Trek game, JonSnow had a side conversation in which I confessed a tinge of bitterness at that game because there's a part of me that feels it's at the expense of Firefly. JS noted that, basically, Firefly has had a good run (which I agree with)...

But let's assume for a moment that the product line is, indeed, complete. What did we miss out on? What do we wish we had?

Speaking for myself, I know that GF9 hinted at three things that would have been very interesting:

1) New Misbehave cards

2) Shuttles integrated into the game

3) More ship packs (possibly in association with the MMO).

* THE RIM'S THE THING: I was also anxious to see if the designers would do anything to pull the Rim decks into a more integrated for. I know many people had posited a second "Breakin' Atmo" type product, this one centered around the Rim Contacts and Supply Decks, possibly including Piracy Jobs for the Rim Contacts, too.

* XIA-STYLE SHIPS? Given that there was implication that ships might be inspired by the MMO, and the MMO seems to indicate a progression through different ships, would we have seen different "tiers" of ships, allowing you to progress through different vehicles in the course of a game? In a sense, this violates the feel of Firefly, but would be interesting nonetheless.

* MORE PLAY STYLES: Although folks seem pretty content with the PVP, there have often been conversations devoted to campaign play, cooperative play, and more robust solo play.

* LAST BUT NOT LEAST: Promo card = The Good Dogs Guy.

So what do you wish we would get? Or miss that we didn't?

Pretty much all of the above is viable material for continued official expansions.

A thickened Misbehave deck can't be a bad thing, particularly for those able to play often (I'm not one of those).

A game mechanic where you can buy a new ship would be interesting, and while it's different from Mal's experience, he's not the only captain out there. And maybe that's a function of an official campaign setup.

Then there's what you've done with White Lightning and Aces & Eights, in taking the RPG materials and bringing them to the game. I know it's stepping on your feet, and, along with the comics, not a high priority for them because of the images necessary, it's potential fodder for them.

Along that track, expanded ship packs, like what you've done, tied to the MMO is a no brainer. That kind of cross pollination is a win-win for both games.

I don't think we need to see any more large expansions that add sections to the map. It would invalidate the roll up one everyone just bought, but also make the game unplayable unless you have a Thurston Howell the Third style banquet table.

But smaller expansions are a nice way to keep the game on the 'current' shelf. They're not expensive to produce, and they're optional, so if you think your game is large enough already, you don't need to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Wardlow
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I, too, would love to see more story cards. Since GF9 expanded the map to include Kalidasa, I would like to see story cards that take into account the different locations and contacts that are represented in the "whole 'verse".

So, perhaps a search for some long-lost Browncoat or Alliance ship containing sensitive / profitable items. Or, perhaps establishing a smuggling ring that encompasses the newer Contacts and Locations, using the "whole 'verse". Perhaps a two-way path Story Card - one for Moral Captains and one for others that could perhaps delve into breaking of slavers or opening new black-market avenues.

It would also be gratifying to have a few more Misbehave Cards and gear. Though, I don't want to see too much more dilution of the Supply Planet Decks as mentioned in other threads.

I really think, for 4 players, there is a nice mix of ship types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for more story cards--especially story cards that push players into the rim multiple times.
+1 for campaign-driven scenarios
+1 for more misbehaves

I'm on the fence with shuttles--that is, I'd go for them if they were available, but I won't lose any hope if they never arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASREV, that's my addiction. i'd like to see a player version, and i'd like to see a couple grey ones for those darn customs inspections.

a few more, unique, misbehave cards would also be nice.
an updated Courtland's card.
and a way to somehow introduce elements from back during the war.

oh, and a Wash card with that Walrus'y Moustache!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as the Star Trek game goes. They've got 2 expansions (Cardasians and Ferengi), and I can see maybe an extra planet expansion, maybe a Borg or Dominion faction, but not really much beyond that.

Firefly has a lot more expansion possibility because of they type of game it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't confirmed, but JonSnow said they're planning 9 expansions in the first year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a resin ships pack containing one firefly and two reaver cutters. The two existing packs don't have enough to cover the blue sun reavers or the artful dodger.

Other than that, I'd be happy to see some card only expansions to add bounty cards for the wanted crew from the expansions, add piracy jobs for contacts who don't have them and round out the smaller supply decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
gwek wrote:
I haven't confirmed, but JonSnow said they're planning 9 expansions in the first year!

Good lord. I wish Fleet Captains had received that many expansions, period!! Loved that damn game.

I have to agree with what's becoming the consensus here; more Misbehaves and Nav cards, a "Breakin' Atmo"-style booster for the Blue Sun & Kalidasa contacts and supplies, and maybe a few new ships (like the Overland from Lootcrate's The 'Verse, or some Firefly Online ships, or whatever ya like!)

I think they've likely stalled because of a lack of official source material; any new content would have to come from outside Firefly and Serenity. It wouldn't be too terribly difficult to do some new things here - I'm sure Shawna Trpcic has some free time for hire, y'shore up a few actors and actresses, give 'em names - make a new board section that'd fit at the bottom of the 'Verse, just throw more stuff at us! C'mon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
demonllama wrote:
an updated Courtland's card.

what needs updated with Courtland?
(or is that the one where they used the wrong picture/character?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see more misbehave cards that incorporate Kalidasa and Blue Sun.

Also the Wanted Deck could be added to.

I'm in two minds as to whether rounding out the Meridian and Beaumode Supply Decks is a good thing or not. I like the idea of having even more goodies available, but doing so means they become diluted and the value of starting at these locations to build a crew is less rewarding (or more risky as it will take longer). If it come to the crunch I would go for rounding out these two decks because you can always not us the extra cards if you have them!

The non-core Contact Decks could also be increased in size and Piracy Jobs included. Even Mr Universe's Deck could probably be added to but if not it still provides everything a player may want, even in games with 6+ players.

More ships would be good (a ship pack with maybe 2, 3 or even 4 new ships in it would be cool).

More Story Cards and perhaps a campaign Story Card would be nice. I would envisage a Campaign Story Card would set out a framework of how a campaign would work and be flexible enough to allow players to mix and match existing Story Cards to build the campaign (from two Story Cards upwards). That way it would be dynamic, adaptable and not limited to just one campaign.

Some more Solo Story Cards would be good, including ones where you can play two or more ships (and introduce some element of competition or co-operation perhaps?).

I would like to see the current Haven Tokens revamped. They are not well colour matched to the ships they are meant for and I also would prefer them with the Ship name printed on them.

An official GF9 plastic dinosaur to mark the phasing player would be a nice touch (it could be a add-on option at check out if buying on-line from GF9).

I'm note sure about the shuttles idea. I just can't visualize how shuttles will fit in without some significant change to the current game mechanics. One possibility is that they will be represented via Ship Upgrades (possibly not even taking up a Ship Upgrade Slot). That would make them useful in whatever way they will be designed but should not alter things too much!

One other thing I would like to see is a blank ship card template that will allow custom ships to be created. That's probably going a bit beyond what GF9 would want to offer, but if access to their commercial producer could be given and people can submit designs to be printed (similar to the the custom cards at printerstudio.com) that would be a nice way for GF9 to give something to the Firefly community that would be very much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia Montero
Spain
Alcorcon
Madrid
flag msg tools
More ships please! The roleplaying game have a lot of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely would like more "normal" story cards that incorporate Blue Sun/Kalidasa.

Story cards in the vein of Patience's War that have you go to different places and do things, but this time also using the various expansion locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe no one has mentioned The Operative! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demonllama wrote:
ASREV, that's my addiction. i'd like to see a player version, and i'd like to see a couple grey ones for those darn customs inspections.

Been there, done that, got the ship cards... modest along with George and others that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
gwek wrote:

That's a ton more material than I would have thought possible. It will be interesting to see what that ends up being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M P
msg tools
IMHO;
- More Story cards (Especially ones to increase Rim Space usage.)
- More Supply Cards for Beaumonde & Meridian
- More misbehave cards (with more reshuffle cards)
- More Reaver & Alliance Contact cards.
- More job cards (I like the idea of two part jobs.)
- More Mr Universe cards.
- I would not mind a few more ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Not to sidetrack, but I think the breakdown was CASH GRAB (where total $$$ is the winning factor) vs GOAL ORIENTED (where you get a goal for some repeatable activity and most Goals win) vs STORY ORIENTED (where there are usually 3 distinct and specific goals that must be completed sequentially).

I don't want to derail this thread so early, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on what different story cards might look like. Maybe we should start a new thread?

I'm off to my parents this weekend for a few days, but when I'm back I'll try and put some ideas down on paper! Though you're right, probably better off in a new thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty
msg tools
I've been speculating for a while that they're planning on a release schedule something like this:

-Scattered ship packs and promos
I'd especially love to see some non-Firefly ships in ship packs. With 7 different Fireflies already, I'm hoping for some more diversity. With the way they set up the Loot Crate cards, I could believe we'll see a few more for other supply planets.

-A P&BH-sized expansion for shuttles
I believe they mentioned that they have something in the works for shuttles, and maybe they'll include a secondary theme as well. This would include a handful of supply cards for the 5 main piles, 5 jobs for each of the main contacts (bringing them up to an even 50), and maybe a couple of new ships, but I feel like they're less likely to do that again after introducing the ship packs. A couple of story and setup cards as well, of course.

-A final Breakin' Atmo-esque expansion to add to expansion content
This would have to be larger than Breakin' Atmo, maybe 200 cards in all. It would have an extra 25 jobs for each expansion contact that mix expansion themes, such as piracy jobs, making the expansion contacts match the base ones. It'd also include 25 or so cards for Meridian and Beaumonde. Ideally I'd like to see all the supply piles hit an even, round number, but with the way they're adding promos and ship packs, that doesn't seem to be a priority. They could also have the bounty cards for everything released past P&BH, and an add-on to the Misbehave pile that integrates all the new content from other expansions. Basically, consolidate everything reliant on other expansions into one fairly cheap one.

Beyond that, I don't see them doing anything more. I don't see the need for a lot more content at this point; they've covered almost everything. The mat confirms they don't have plans for any new decks, so there's not much space for anything radical. I'd love to see some comic content show up in the supply piles, but with the lack of photos I don't think they're going to include anything.

If they did all of that, I think I'd view the game as complete. If they stopped suddenly and didn't do any more, though, the only thing I'd personally want to add in through custom content would be Misbehave cards. That's the only thing that I would say is lacking; everything else is just an added bonus at this point.

That all being said, I'm incredibly interested in gwek's Operative jobs idea. The mat confirmed it'll never be official content, but if anything comes of that I might add it in anyway. I think there's a noticeable lack of worthwhile legal jobs, and a lot of Immoral Legal jobs would be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh ...more good stuff based on side conversations.

The non supply, non contact planets are still too empty. If I was GS9, I'd want to do something like what GWEK did, which we haven't had time to test out much so far. Planetary Adventures and trading posts with stuff to get out in the black!

As someone planning to get Star Trek Ascendancy, Cool Stuff is now advertising the first two Cardassian (which originally was supposed to be ready for the Con but now will not be there) and the Ferengi expansions (which is coming later, as it supposedly changes the game up somewhat so they want players to get the core game rules down first). But they have also mentioned the Borg and Dominion as NPC enemies for everyone to fight. They have also mentioned the Andromedans several times in several places on videos and podcasts. Player speculation on the STA board has of course come up with many more possibilities. In most cases, each expansion will allow you to add another player. The first two are listed for December availability, but may be ready earlier in the Fall.

In fact, after some soul searching, part of the reason I decided to get it is GF9's good development and support of media tie in games--mostly our Firefly, as I don't have Spartacus. I have played Sons of Anarchy. Plus now reading the rules online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lemick
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Quote:
That's a ton more material than I would have thought possible. It will be interesting to see what that ends up being.

I don't know if they can get nine expansions out in a year, but I think it's certainly possible. Look at everything Gale Force Nine has put out for Firefly, a game whose "source material" is 13 TV episodes and one movie. By contrast, Star Trek has five TV series, the shortest of which lasted three full seasons, plus 10 motion pictures (not counting the reboot films).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.