Subject: An exercise in patience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
This has been blowing up in the single player guild.

Clearly, I must own this game.

There are copies for sale and trade, but the prices are not unexpected given the supply and demand.

If I can wait till August, I can have this for less than half of most of the offers I see now.

Still, I wrestle with this daily.

$150-$200 now? or $80 in a couple weeks?

Funny. While writing this it just occurred to me that even secondary market prices are going to drop like rocks when this hits retail.

Maybe someone knows better than I. Is there a reason to buy Scythe at secondary market prices when retail release is next month?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Maybe someone knows better than I. Is there a reason to buy Scythe at secondary market prices when retail release is next month?
Many Kickstarters bought this game with extra "goodies" (metal coins, realistic resources, board extension) that will not be available in the retail version. If those are important to you, you will need to go to the secondary market, or wait until those upgraded components are available for separate purchase (possibly only through SM's website, though I don't know about that) for extra cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on what "extras" or "upgrades" you're wanting with your copy. Buying a KS edition now will include those extras, but at an inflated price. Purchasing the game retail and then buying those extras as add-ons may save you a little bit of money, but that might depend on which additional pieces/features you're interested in having.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending edition, KS versions have:
- custom resin resources
- metal coins
- extension board
- art book

All KS versions have:
- additional cards (content)
- additional dials (cosmetic/convenience)

So it depends on if any of those matter to you. If not then wait for retail definitely. If they do you might take a chance on being one of the first to respond when Stonemaier Games sends out notifications that surplus KS versions are for sale, which will be in limited supply and I assume high demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke: I appreciate your excitement for Scythe, but I would recommend waiting until August 1. There's a good chance you can get a KS version then (or, at the least, some of the goodies): http://stonemaiergames.com/buy-scythe/

And if you miss out on the goodies and want us to make more of them in the future, you can fill out this form: https://goo.gl/forms/JIK6k6CBfn0ZcUNM2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Jamey has stated many times: there are no KS exclusives. All the extras (extended board, realistic resources, metal coins, promo cards) will be available through SMG after the retail release. That's not to say they will have tons of stock, or that there will be additional "print" runs--so you'll probably have to decide quickly & pull the trigger if those are important to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If money is no object and you need the game today, sure, toss your money at an over-inflated copy of it on the secondary market.

I jumped on the Stonemaier web site and made myself a fancy Print and Play copy of the game a couple months ago for pretty cheap. I'm going to be waiting for the retail version to hit Miniature Market's shelves, then I'll have a real copy and I'll be happy with it. Once Stonemaier has all the extra bits for sale on their web site, I'll probably get those, too. In the end, I'll still be shelling out less money than what people are getting for their Collector's Edition copies of the game.

The great thing about Stonemaier is that nothing in Scythe is Kickstarter exclusive, so unless you care about having a box with some gold foil on it and a number, patience will reward you with as much or as little bonus stuff you want to put into your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger massé
msg tools
mb
Sorry to bother you with that but I bought the collectors edition at the retaillers for lower than the KS! I received the game the 8 th of july!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Luke: I appreciate your excitement for Scythe, but I would recommend waiting until August 1.

Will do! And congrats on Scythe's success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
ignosis wrote:
Sorry to bother you with that but I bought the collectors edition at the retaillers for lower than the KS! I received the game the 8 th of july!

I highly doubt that. Miniature Market sold the collectors edition for 114, which was still more than the KS price and that was considered really cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't wait to get my hands on those realistic resource tokens.

Now if only those plastic containers were made available as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ignosis wrote:

As Chris noted, I do not think this is true. You may have bought the game from a retail backer, but no other retailers have received their retail copies (and we're haven't sold KS versions to retailers since the Kickstarter project).

How much did you pay and where did you buy your game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably your going to get a version that has some of the extra stuff included. Say at least the Premium ? If so, thats going to be $120 retail on site. So if you can get one now for like $150ish, yes its a markup, but youll have it sooner and not have to worry about possibly missing it. That was my situation and I happily paid to enjoy the game now. Granted, I kicked myself for having looked at the preorder page back in the day for like 2 weeks straight and ultimately passing. Ugh lol, wont make that mistake again. Ultimately, its up to you, but know the game is worth every penny ! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger massé
msg tools
mb
boardgamebliss.com 128.95 cdn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
ignosis wrote:
boardgamebliss.com 128.95 cdn

It says 143$ on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger massé
msg tools
mb
not in january 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
ignosis wrote:
not in january 2016

With shipping that's a little more than in the KS. I'd also not say you "bought it at the retailers" when you pre-ordered it shortly after the KS campaign (and also paid up front for it).
Still crazy they'd sell it for so little profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:

There are copies for sale and trade, but the prices are not unexpected given the supply and demand.

If I can wait till August, I can have this for less than half of most of the offers I see now.

Funny. While writing this it just occurred to me that even secondary market prices are going to drop like rocks when this hits retail.

Seriously, this was posted on July 27 according to the time stamp, and you're telling me you can't wait until August 1st?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
mournful wrote:

Seriously, this was posted on July 27 according to the time stamp, and you're telling me you can't wait until Augist 1st?!?

August 4th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait until August. It's a great game, but don't feed the slimy secondary market creepers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerChicken wrote:
pacman88k wrote:
mournful wrote:

Seriously, this was posted on July 27 according to the time stamp, and you're telling me you can't wait until August 1st?!?

August 4th.

Yeah, that's much worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.