Subject: Unlimited action gate capture and abduct/cannibalism question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Strahm
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I have two questions!

Can you take an unlimited action at any time to place your cultist on a gate or does is have to be your turn?

For example, you have a cultist in an area with two enemy factions. one of them controls a gate. They do battle and all their units are killed or pained away. Can you immediately place your cultist on the gate or do you have to wait for your turn?

Similarly, if you have a cultist in an area with a single enemy and a gate controlled by that enemy, they attack you and all their cultists are killed or pained. Even though it's not your turn can you place your cultist on the gate since you're involved in the battle?

-Does "abduct" count as a kill?

My buddy's line of reasoning is that the abducted unit is carried away so thematically, the unit cannot be cannibalized to spawn a windego.

My line of reasoning is that the unit wasn't removed from battle, just the battle area. "invisibility" makes the difference clear. Additionally, the text for "Devour" is almost identical to "Abduct" and Devour absolutely counts as a kill.

I think any unit that is removed from the board (due to your enemy's abilities) during pre-battle, battle or post-battle is "killed in battle" unless it specifically says it is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Kill" is not the same as "Eliminate".

A unit that is Abducted or otherwise destroyed by any means other than a rolled Kill result, is "Eliminated". (Unless the spellbook or ability specifically states otherwise.)

If you want a rationale behind this, consider that no corpse is left behind after a Nightgaunt abduction for anyone to cannibalize. The same is true for Cthulhu's Devour.

So the Abduct does not produce a Wendigo.

Devour does not count as a kill - which is why Cthulhu's spellbook requirements state the result as "Kill and/or Devour".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kylestrahm wrote:
Can you take an unlimited action at any time to place your cultist on a gate or does is have to be your turn?
You can only perform unlimited actions on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Strahm
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Strahm
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
kylestrahm wrote:
You can only perform unlimited actions on your turn.

If there's an empty gate in a territory with my cultist and it's my turn, but I'm out of power, can I place my cultist on the gate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kylestrahm wrote:
If there's an empty gate in a territory with my cultist and it's my turn, but I'm out of power, can I place my cultist on the gate?

If you're out of power it isn't your turn, so no. You only get an action if you have power.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
kylestrahm wrote:

If you're out of power it isn't your turn, so no. You only get an action if you have power.

Cheers,
Graham

A situation emerged last game: a player used an action that removed a cultist from the gate. Besides, he controlled the gate with another cultist. However, he was at 0 power after he made the action that removed the cultist. Can he control the gate that way (he started the turn with 1 power).

EDIT

In other words, can he make unlimited actions after gettin 0 power, even if he started the turn with 1 power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, unlimited actions are something you can take in addition to your regular action, which he had already done. However, if you're at zero power, then you can't take that regular action when it would be your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Yes, unlimited actions are something you can take in addition to your regular action, which he had already done. However, if you're at zero power, then you can't take that regular action when it would be your turn.

Accordingly to the rulebook, you can only take ACTIONS if you have power. As unlimited actions are ACTIONS, thus came the doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it was addressed in the Omega rulebook, but it's come up before, and has been officially addressed on these forums (buried somewhere in a forgotten thread...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
it was sadly not addressed in the OMR. dammit!

The rule is meant to be understood that you can't take your TURN if you're at 0 Power, so this scenario would be legal - if you BEGIN your turn with 1 Power, then spend that 1 Power, you may still do a 0 Cost Unlimited Action immediately after on that same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.