Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
Soooooo many bad pics. Oh my goodness. It's got to stop. Smartphones can actually do a half decent job if you know what you're doing, and you surely don't. Well, at least most of you surely don't.

Anyway, not one to bang people over the head without offering a solution, I've banged together a web page to give you a simple guide to get it right.

[EDIT: wordpress.com has bizarrely suspended the page. SO here's a quick and dirty BGG blog post of it instead. I'll try formatting it better later) :

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/56317/boardgame-photograp...
]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:
Soooooo many bad pics. Oh my goodness. It's got to stop. Smartphones can actually do a half decent job if you know what you're doing, and you surely don't. Well, at least most of you surely don't.

Anyway, not one to bang people over the head without offering a solution, I've banged together a web page to give you a simple guide to get it right.

Not many people spend time on the BGG message boards (of which this concerns that), but, I don't blame ya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your ideas might be more productive if you had posted something more positive instead of starting off by putting people down about not reading forums and taking awful pictures. I imagine if I was someone submitting cell phone pictures that could be improved, had the desire to improve, and happened upon your post, I'd probably be too turned off by the tone to even bother checking the guided.

Just as there are ways to achieve better photos there are better ways to inform and educate others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamal Green
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be right, but... oh my goodness... your webpage on the matter has terrible pics!

They *might* represent your point, but I can't tell because they are tiny (one is 150x113px) and there are only THREE pics (and one is just a crop of the other.) thumbsdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
R3DSH1FT wrote:
I think your ideas might be more productive if you had posted something more positive instead of starting off by putting people down

[snip]

Just as there are ways to achieve better photos there are better ways to inform and educate others.

Guffaw! Marvellously passive aggressive post, and with smiley to boot.

And really, generally criticising unnamed persons' pics is not 'putting people down'. It's not a personal criticism, plus people tend to know their pics are poor and are happy to admit that to themselves. With children, sure it's better to find ways to encourage, but not necessarily without criticism.

And in any case, I totally disagree. Provocation is what stirs action. With the caveat that it's half way amusing. What I wrote is meant to be like that, but of course amusement is a matter of taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found your site very helpful, especially the bit about the whitebalance target. I'm also probably guilty of not wiping my lens. So that's why all my pics have a dull haze. Huh. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
JammerG wrote:
You might be right, but... oh my goodness... your webpage on the matter has terrible pics!

They *might* represent your point, but I can't tell because they are tiny (one is 150x113px) and there are only THREE pics (and one is just a crop of the other.) thumbsdown

Er, actually they do represent my point. Did you bother to read the article? The only thing they miss out on is a representation of mushiness, before and after. But everyone knows what that means, and much more striking is colour and exposure differences which is plainly clear from the pics.

One of them is meant to be terrible, and the other simply is not terrible. Being tiny is not 'being terrible'.

Constructive criticism, please, not that I asked for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you throw a link to one of those white balance targets that are small? Sounds interesting.

Also, thanks for the image of the board with a large background you cropped out. Too many people feel the need to center the "focus" and just fill the frame with it, even if they're going to crop the image to like 5% size anyway.

Good tip for achieving better colour, just take a "natural" shot and crop to your actual target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
Dragoonkin wrote:
Can you throw a link to one of those white balance targets that are small? Sounds interesting.

Sure : white balance targets on amazon,. I think the 'pocket sized' ones are the creditcard versions. In anycase, they give dimensions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:
Not enough of you are reading the photography forum.....

... nor even the manual that came with your device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:
Sure : white balance targets on amazon,. I think the 'pocket sized' ones are the creditcard versions. In anycase, they give dimensions.

Thanks much, those look quite useful.

Now all I need is a decent light source. That's usually my problem. Too much direct light in a house, or you're stuck using a flash and that works like crap with the glossy finish so many board game components have.

(This is just reminding me of the suffering that was me putting up images of all the Merchants & Marauders expansion items because I got it before release...so many awful pictures, but people wanted to see...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:
JammerG wrote:

Er, actually they do represent my point. Did you bother to read the article? The only thing they miss out on is a representation of mushiness, before and after. But everyone knows what that means, and much more striking is colour and exposure differences which is plainly clear from the pics.

One of them is meant to be terrible, and the other simply is not terrible. Being tiny is not 'being terrible'.

Constructive criticism, please.

Don't be critical if you can't take the criticism. I too tried to click to enlarge the photo you posted because the small "not terrible" one isn't legible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:
R3DSH1FT wrote:
I think your ideas might be more productive if you had posted something more positive instead of starting off by putting people down

[snip]

Guffaw! Marvellously passive aggressive post, and with smiley to boot.

And really, generally criticising unnamed persons' pics is not 'putting people down'. It's not a personal criticism, plus people tend to know their pics are poor and are happy to admit that to themselves. With children, sure it's better to find ways to encourage, but not necessarily without criticism.

And in any case, I totally disagree. Provocation is what stirs action. With the caveat that it's half way amusing. What I wrote is meant to be like that, but of course amusement is a matter of taste.

I found RShift's reply "spot on, Chap".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a photography forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb

Quote:

Well, since there is now a culture of taking offense and criticising perceived negativity, I suppose you might even be right.

But I'm not part of the culture and have never felt the need to pander to the neo-oversensitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Don't be critical if you can't take the criticism.

Are you kidding? I made a tongue-in-cheek post that was meant to amuse. And while my 'criticism' isn't misplaced, the criticism I didn't ask for certainly was misplaced.

Quote:

I too tried to click to enlarge the photo you posted because the small "not terrible" one isn't legible.

Perhaps you wish to see what the game is, but that's not the point of the pic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
itsastickup wrote:
Not enough of you are reading the photography forum.....

itsastickup wrote:
...reading the photography.....

I have to admit, my first instinct was "Ur Doing It Rong".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:

Quote:

Well, since there is now a culture of taking offense and criticising perceived negativity, I suppose you might even be right.

But I'm not part of the culture and have never felt the need to pander to the neo-oversensitive.

Good luck on that road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Now all I need is a decent light source. That's usually my problem. Too much direct light in a house, or you're stuck using a flash and that works like crap with the glossy finish so many board game components have.

A marvelous trick is to take a polarizer 'gel' (as they're known) over the flash, which is just a piece of transparent polarized plastic, and then put a polarizer over the lens, adjusted to cancel out the reflection light. It's also a great way to photograph paintings, although getting the colours right for that means using a much more sophisticated colour balancing gadget than a white balance, plus Lightroom. A nikon or Canon plus whitebalance is a good start though. (Forget fuji's, pimped for skin tones, Sonys, though they're getting more accurate, or Leicas)

Quote:

(This is just reminding me of the suffering that was me putting up images of all the Merchants & Marauders expansion items because I got it before release...so many awful pictures, but people wanted to see...)

I feel your pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:
JammerG wrote:

Possibly you could expand your site to include examples for all of the reasons images fail modding. There always seems to be "my images were denied, why?" questions being asked and explicit examples might help explain the problems.

Sorry to say this, but being tiny will fail modding (min. size 320 x 200).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be OP.
Post unsolicited criticism.
Be unable to take criticism.
Get offended.
Call others "neo-oversensitive"
Say "the criticism you didn't ask for was misplaced"
Remain smug knowing you didn't pander to "take-offense" culture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Quote:

Possibly you could expand your site to include examples for all of the reasons images fail modding. There always seems to be "my images were denied, why?" questions being asked and explicit examples might help explain the problems.

Not a bad idea, though it's not really what I'm trying to address.

Quote:

Sorry to say this, but being tiny will fail modding (min. size 320 x 200).

Sure, but I am really concentrating on photography. I'm sure there are other hazards also, but unrelated to what I was addressing which is simply 'how to take a decent pic'.

Thanks for the polite advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
joetaco wrote:
Be OP.
Post unsolicited criticism.
Be unable to take criticism.
Get offended.
Call others "neo-oversensitive"
Say "the criticism you didn't ask for was misplaced"
Remain smug knowing you didn't pander to "take-offense" culture

Irony alert. Seriously, man, you're not adding anything except more of the kind of unnecessarily negative responses I replied to with justified irritation since I actually made the effort to do that web page.

Your post really applies to the person who posted the big thumbs down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
Dragoonkin wrote:

Good tip for achieving better colour, just take a "natural" shot and crop to your actual target.

That's a very good point. I'll work that in to the page.

With a credit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
itsastickup wrote:
Did you bother to read the article? The only thing they miss out on is a representation of mushiness, before and after. But everyone knows what that means...

I have no idea what "mushiness" means in relation to a photograph. It always strikes me as strange when a guide or other piece of documentation that is supposed to be explanatory leaves out the explanation of certain things because "everyone already knows it". It makes me wonder who the target audience even is: someone who knows enough about photography to be familiar with "mushiness" as a concept, but enough of a novice to not even use adequate lighting?

Quote:
Constructive criticism, please, not that I asked for it.

Well, you just did ask for it, so I will comply: the composition of your picture is terrible. The board itself looks great, but on the right hand side you've got floor tiles, which recede into darkness as they go to the top of the picture; on the left, you've got a door or cabinet at some weird angle; and at the top, you've got a chair leg protruding from behind the board. Why isn't the board sitting on, you know, a table? It's all very distracting and confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.