Subject: Can we merge sets? Answer: YUP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the cardbacks the same for Codenames: Deep Undercover and Codenames? A small part of me thinks it'd make for a much more double entendre-y evening if for every "Motorboat" you've also got a totally benign card from the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Re: Can we merge sets?
Card backs? The cards in Codenames are double-sided, and I assume the same is true of the new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Card backs? The cards in Codenames are double-sided, and I assume the same is true of the new game.

Well that shut me up. I'd make a "pre-coffee" quip, but posting at 12:14 pm makes that a bit hard to believe.

So, assuming that the cards are the same size and what not, what's not to love about mixing them all together?

In case you're playing with a doily-clutching granny, are the Deep Undercover cards marked in some way to identify them to sort back out? It's hard to tell from the photo that's circulating if there's anything unique about the codename cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Pusch
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a care picture that has been posted by SJeng that is better. They look the same - although obviously can't verify they are identical size.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3114993/codenames-deep-u...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, going by the pic, it looks like they're nearly identical to the base set cards. And the BGG description says "It has new cards with new words, and can be played as a stand-alone game or an expansion to the original Codenames."

So the answer is pretty much a definitive "Yes". Reversing the process will probably just take a little finagling, although a lot of the 'adult' cards look to be fairly innocuous. 'Intern', 'Tuna', etc. It's just en masse, combined with cards like 'Orgasm' and 'Gigolo' that they become truly 'Adult'.

I bet that most of these were in the original card pool for the base game and were moved to another worksheet in the Excel file for one (obvious) reason or another.

Originals

Expansion

ETA: Ha, the top cards in the shrinkwrap above integrate into the adult theme fairly well, anyway. Which I believe is the whole point that
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
has made in his blogpost Vlaada Against Humanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several cards that I would have thought were already in Codenames, like TRAIN, WOOD, TAIL, etc. If the new set were all innuendos with multiple meanings, that would be one thing. But WANG and DIARRHEA are bad Codenames cards in addition to being inane.

I also wonder about the effect of having so many, er, synonyms for the same thing. It would be like if every Codenames board were guaranteed to have several words from the list

FOOD
MEAL
DINNER
EAT
NOSH
INGEST
DEVOUR
NUTRITION
SANDWICH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point. There are several that are really "on the nose". Assuming the group agrees, you could just flip it or, if the reverse is just as over the top, discard it permanently into the toilet. I still think it's a fun way to freshen up the game or get the right crowd really into it. I know Things... isn't the greatest as party games go, but I have pretty great memories of playing it with a group of friends in the past solely because of the provocative nature of the prompts. Same goes here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new cards are a MM narrower. This will not impact game play, but will allow you to separate them back apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bet he's lots of fun at parties.
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any duplicate spymaster (grid) cards or word cards we'd need to sort out first? Anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skimming through the new set, I didn't see any ... nor have I heard of anyone finding any .. so I assume, no

It would be silly to have a few dupes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.