Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin LB
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am very intrigued by Ryan Laukat's work. I have never played any of his games, besides 8 minute empire.

If I was to play only one of his games, which one should it be ?

If I was to play all of his games, which one should I start with ?

Thank you for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, so you're mostly on the right track. Of all his designs that I've played, it's my favorite, in that it plays elegantly, has beautiful components, and packs a reasonably thinky area-control game into a small box with a medium-short playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
I'd say Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, so you're mostly on the right track. Of all his designs that I've played, it's my favorite, in that it plays elegantly, has beautiful components, and packs a reasonably thinky area-control game into a small box with a medium-short playing time.

Funny, Eight Minute Empire sort of bounced off me, but the rest of his games really hit home.

Above and Below is what got me hooked, but I've also enjoyed The Ancient World and City of Iron: Second Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jordan
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Above and Below if you have already played Eight Minute Empires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Usually I would say Above and Below, but I just had a look at your collection and you seem to rate heavier euros highly so in your case City of Iron: Second Edition. It is much heavier than his other games and is his most strategic. I have also seen that it is Quoted as being his Favourite design and game of his own games.

Also if you check his personal collection like you he rates Puerto Rico 10/10 with this comment "This game got me into the hobby. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin LB
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks to all of you.
I have played Eight-Minute Empire: Legends before. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.
City of Iron: Second Edition & Above and Below seem to get most of your votes. So it will probably be one of those that I will try first. It also will depend on what I find; Ryan Laukat's games are unfortunately quite poorly distributed in Europe.
Thank you again !
Best regards,
Benjamin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin LB
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
Just to let you know that I have decided to purchase Above and Below, in the end.
I have played it for the first time yesterday evening.
What a great game ! We had so much fun !
I am looking forward to playing it again. And to playing other Ryan Laukat games :-)
Best regards,
Benjamin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin LB
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I am again.

I have played Above and Below yesterday evening for the second time.
Counting both plays, I have now played this game with 5 different players. Among these, 3 have allready ordered the game online :-)

What a great game !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.