Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mb
Hey,

Can anyone tell me what is the true multiplayer playing time for this game? Especially with five players? Is it really a 90 min game? or is this closer to one of those "1hr per player" kind of ones?

Is it doable as a "more cooperative/less antagonistic" kind of game? Or does that really take the meat out of it? (I have a group that tends not to like really antagonistic games.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I played so I'm not sure about the playing time. My recollection is that it is more like 30-40 mins per player.

I consider PL to be an "adventure game", where you take a character and go on adventures. In games like this it depends on the players how antagonistic it gets. But in PL fighting is so expensive that unless you are at a considerable combat advantage it is generally not worth it to just attack people.

Games like this can have a kind of multiplayer solitaire quality to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

I've never played with 5. Only 4 and 6.

It kind of depends on your familiarity with the game, especially the combat system. If all players know what they are doing, it will be around the 30 min. per player on average.
Be aware that it really is kind of an adventure game and so it can also be quicker. I once got 3 points at once and ended the game quite soon.

As for the confrontation, the idea is that at least some of it happens. For instance, you can't get the final recognition point by buying it... It should come from a combat, ideally. You can also impose blockades on planets and that only makes sense if you can extort some money or make life harder for other players... But most of that can also largely be avoided if the players choose to. It will never be a cooperative, though.

Have fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Basically you should get 2h game time when players know the game (have played at least once), that shouldn't be much changed on 4,5,6 players unless you are very prone to chatting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mb
And the designer himself answers me!

I'm really looking forward to trying to with my game group. I only just recently discovered the Elite video game, on which this is based - so was super excited to try and play this game.

I enjoyed my first solo fumble through of it. THANK YOU for your talents!
thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
And the designer himself answers me!

I'm really looking forward to trying to with my game group. I only just recently discovered the Elite video game, on which this is based - so was super excited to try and play this game.

I enjoyed my first solo fumble through of it. THANK YOU for your talents!
thumbsupthumbsup

Many thanks. And do let us know if you find things that could be better. We're slowly working on next edition of the game, based on Charles Stross' books. It will be new game, not just reprint, but a lot of it will be based on Phantom League.

And make sure to have the latest Consolidated rulebook from here. It makes the game much more enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.