GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 52.04

3,853 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
24.3% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Treasure Hunter's 'Dungeoneer' card grants a free attack. It doesn't mention an attack action and as far as I can make out based on Zaltyre's glossary, it is only not allowed to use a 'special action' attack if an ability mentions an 'attack action'.

1. So, can I combine 'Dungeoneer' with for example 'Finder's Keeper's'?

2. Is it a general rule that if only an attack is mentioned (not an 'attack action') that you can make a 'special action' attack from another ability, or does this depend on the specific ability?

I'm pretty sure I have seen similar questions in regard to other skills, but I couldn't find a satisfying answer. Sorry if this is a repost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
When an ability, heroic feat, or skill grants a free attack, then you get a basic attack using a weapon's dice (plus surges/abilities from that weapon) and not an attack from a skill card or heroic feat or other source of actions that are considered to be attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The action taken to use Finder's Keepers is a special action to use the skill, not an action used to take an attack. Performing an attack is part of the outcome of that skill, but it's not the same as taking an attack action.

No, you can't combine Dungeoneer's free attack with the bonuses from Finder's Keepers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smithe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistereaston wrote:
The Treasure Hunter's 'Dungeoneer' card grants a free attack. It doesn't mention an attack action and as far as I can make out based on Zaltyre's glossary, it is only not allowed to use a 'special action' attack if an ability mentions an 'attack action'.

What is meant by that distinction is that there are more than just "attack actions" which count as "attacks". Any ability which causes you to go through the steps of combat (rolling dice, spending surges, etc) counts as an attack, whether it is a "use a skill" action, a monster action, a heroic feat, or some other ability. This is useful for other abilities that trigger "when you perform an attack" or "when a monster performs an attack," or keeping track of whether a monster has exceeded its "one attack per activation" limit.

A card like Dungeoneer (as has been said) is its own type of action, distinct from an attack action, it's a "skill" action. Finder's Keepers is another separate "skill" action. Performing an attack is part of both of those skills, but the skills are not themselves (in their entirety) attacks. Is that clearer? I should probably update the glossary to clarify that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had to read it a few times but yeah, I believe I have a beter understanding of it now. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.