Subject: Legends of the American Frontier - short review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
I just wanted to post a really quick review of this game as I have played it in its 2,3 and 4 player formats over the past 2 weeks. I have to admit I ordered the game because it 'looked' so nice but then totally panicked after reading / watching some of the reviews.

I always read up on games before I buy and 99.9% of the time you can see the point of what the reviewers are saying about a particular facet of a game and why this is a good / bad thing. Having played Legends of the American Frontier three times now with varying numbers I would urge any potential buyer to totally disregard the concerns about the game being too unforgiving or luck based - I literally don't get this at all.

The game is a true gem, hugely thematic and thrilling to the end. A fundamental part of unlocking its essence is to 'get' what it is trying to do - to recreate those amazing stories you read about in American history, those historical characters who made a fortune then lost it all, became famous for fighting a bear then triumphed as local mayor, traded with the indians then lost it all transporting slaves. This isn't a game of winning or losing, and I would say that some of the bad stuff that happens to you in this game are actually some of the best moments.

We played a 4 player game tonight and it had everything - back stabbing, winning against the odds, a clear winner who then fell off his horse and was never the same again - rarely in boardgaming do you get such a rich sense of storytelling.

As for luck I think its dominance in Legends of the Frontier has been totally over egged - the card play in this game is hugely versatile, there are a load of different ways you can approach a situation - smaller number ingenuity plays, a dazzling wild card, a gamble then the 'true grit token' Hail Mary.

The group loved it tonight - and as the host, who had been worried about how the game would be received it was one of those great moments in this hobby when an evening really shines.

So I salute the designer and respect how he has stuck to his guns with this one, as I think it's a masterpiece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This review gives me hope. I have the game and haven't played it yet. Family will be visiting next week. They are non-gamers. Would this be okay to try out on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
Last night I explained it and we were playing within 10 minutes, it has more in common with Blackjack and traditional card games so I think it's perfect for non gamers. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Boucher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this encouragement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.