Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Scott
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently pulled Ambush out of the depths of my game closet to give it another go (seeing how it's been 20-some years since I played it last and can't remember any of the mission details). I had a situation where I wasn't quite sure how to figure the right terrain modifiers for fire combat.

Consider soldiers A and S in this picture (sorry for the not-so-great photo, but I think it's good enough to see the situation). A is outside the building at a window - we'll assume he's standing - and S is in the building but not adjacent to the window. We'll assume he's standing as well.

My question is, what fire modifiers are applied to fire between these two? Conceptually it seems like A should have the advantage over S here because he's at the window and can use it for cover (even though he's outside) whereas S has no cover. But by the text of the Fire Combat Modifiers Chart it looks like S would fall under "Interior: through aperture adjacent to firer" category and get a -1 on fire against him from A.

Going the other way, S firing at A, the chart would seem to say that A would just get the benefit of the terrain in his hex (Cover) since he is not in the interior of the building. But, as I said, it seems like A should gain protection from the window here just as if he were inside the building and S were outside, since he "owns" the window, so to speak.

How would you guys play this?

Also, a related LOS question - if A is crouching can he see S? I know that if S were in the adjacent hex inside the building the answer would depend on S's stance, but what about in this case?

- Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall it A has no modifier to shoot at S; S has the window modifier to shoot at A.

UNLESS the building interior is considered building terrain and then there is no LOS because of the intervening building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scott
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
As I recall it A has no modifier to shoot at S; S has the window modifier to shoot at A.

That's what seemed intuitively right to me as well, but I was having a hard time finding a way to read the rules that agreed.

martimer wrote:
UNLESS the building interior is considered building terrain and then there is no LOS because of the intervening building.

The interior of the building is considered clear, as long as there is no interior wall in the way. This is explicitly noted in the notes under the fire combat modifier chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bnscott wrote:

My question is, what fire modifiers are applied to fire between these two? Conceptually it seems like A should have the advantage over S here because he's at the window and can use it for cover (even though he's outside) whereas S has no cover. But by the text of the Fire Combat Modifiers Chart it looks like S would fall under "Interior: through aperture adjacent to firer" category and get a -1 on fire against him from A.

Going the other way, S firing at A, the chart would seem to say that A would just get the benefit of the terrain in his hex (Cover) since he is not in the interior of the building. But, as I said, it seems like A should gain protection from the window here just as if he were inside the building and S were outside, since he "owns" the window, so to speak.

- Brian

Looking at the Fire Combat Modifiers Chart I think you are right that the advantage is with soldier "S". There seems to be no advantage for having the window adjacent to you. The rules do not say much about the modifiers except to use the modifiers that apply. The good thing about Ambush is that you can house rule this which will apply to both sides so you are not gaining too much of an advantage with the exception that you expect the Germans to appear in cover, especially buildings. You can house rule this by simply removing the word "Interior" on the two aperture modifiers.

The irony of this situation is that soldier S, depending on his weapon, could get a massive +4 bonus for firing at the wall as opposed to firing through the window. He therefore has a much better option than soldier A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Hey, Joe! Got any live ones!?", (but Joe had no grenades). The tank rumbled nearer. Johnny stuffed explosives into his gloves, burrowed deep in the muck and waited; then deftly slapped them into a greasy tread axle and spun for cover; snap-firing...
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the others regarding the fire modifiers.

IIRC, S can see A crouching at the window aperture only if S is standing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.