Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thompson
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the base game and the Forbidden Lore expansion. What's the best number of players to use for a solo game, which will probably how I will mostly be playing it? Are there better characters to start with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At least 2, but most people prefer 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me tell you about the first couple of times I played solo with 2........it doesn't work. I finally bit the bullet and played with four investigators and it was and still a fantastic way to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
You are disintegrating.Into everything around.Reintegrating.The worm we dug from higher ground.You have let go of ego.Ego is no longer you.Closer to nirvana.Since the porter's whistle blew. With Us!
mbmbmbmbmb
Four investigators, but it was slightly overwhelming learning the game, investigators, assets, spells, so mistakes were made.
But enjoyment was always high.
Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Roy
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I've mostly played with 2 investigators and it's been fine. Just need to make sure they work well together. I usually pick a spell caster and a fighter/traveler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
I play with 2 random investigators and Charlie Kane...

...but I'm weird. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played with less than 4, and have always enjoyed it immemensly. I randomly draw 6 investigators, then select 4 to play and have the other 2 as replacements when I lose an investigator. I prefer to play this way, rather than replacements for all 4 - I figure that if I can't save the world with 6 then it won't make any difference! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturs Lescinskis
Latvia
flag msg tools
I agree, better get 4 real players to play with, much better than 2 in my opinion.

Also I'd suggest skipping meta approach to the game for first 2-3 games (like asking what are better investigators and all sorts of analysis, optimization and etc.).

And try not to read the backside of spells and conditions until told to do so - it kinda adds more replayability to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Scheepers
Netherlands
Veldhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this game enjoyable at 2, 3 or 4 players.
I don't think I have a preference to be fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
2 to 4. Mostly 4. The box says it can be played with 1 player/investigator, but I'm sure FF meant "1 player with multiple investigators."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
2 to 4. Mostly 4. The box says it can be played with 1 player/investigator, but I'm sure FF meant "1 player with multiple investigators."

No, I'm sure they meant that a 1 player game is with 1 investigator. Otherwise, the reference card wouldn't make sense. It has a listing for "1 Player". Are you saying that if you are playing solo, no matter how many investigators you use, you should use the "1 Player" listing? That would be too easy.

And if they never meant for the game to be played with only 1 investigator, why would they include a listing for it on the reference card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible with one investigator. The movement around the board is the pain. You really have to plan yous movements. And still there situation where there is not time to move right place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Y
msg tools
One investigator is possible but not really that fun or successful without house rules.

I'd suggest playing 2 until you feel comfortable with the rules. Then play with 4. Always 4.

3-player and 5-player games have wonky balance issues, and any more than that will take all night. Game plays best with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never done 2. The world seems to big for just 2 for me, I want to see more and be doing more but I've heard it works.

4 is the ideal amount but is slightly easier (my win rate is around 80%). 3 is like 4 but much harder (my win rate is around 40%).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmthompsonmd wrote:
Just got the base game and the Forbidden Lore expansion. What's the best number of players to use for a solo game, which will probably how I will mostly be playing it? Are there better characters to start with?

2 is the best for a newer solo player but very difficult and you will probably lose. but very fun. 4 players is another option. Much easier but also more upkeep and tedium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.