Hide
10 Posts

The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » General

Subject: How long is an average two player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J E
msg tools
The time listed is 30-90 minutes, would it be two player is 30 minutes, three player is 60 minutes, and four player is 90 minutes? We are usually tight for time, so I need to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd expect it to be around 60 minutes for 2 players when you're starting out, getting down to 30-45 minutes when you know the game, depending on whether you think a lot about your moves, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For two players learning the game? 90-120 minutes.

After 5 or 6 plays each? 45-60 minutes.

It's not an extremely complex game, but there are a number of different buildings and knowledge tiles with iconography that is not at all intuitive when you first encounter it, so you will both spend lots of time looking up the various abilities and bonuses until they become familiar. Once you do, the game speeds up considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
For two players learning the game? 90-120 minutes.

After 5 or 6 plays each? 45-60 minutes.

It's not an extremely complex game, but there are a number of different buildings and knowledge tiles with iconography that is not at all intuitive when you first encounter it, so you will both spend lots of time looking up the various abilities and bonuses until they become familiar. Once you do, the game speeds up considerably.

I can confirm this because, yeah, I played Dave a few weeks ago and it was about 60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Eddy
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
For my wife and I its 45 minutes to an hour including set up and takedown. It's a pretty simple game but it's also kind of confusing if you don't have someone showing you how to play. If someone isn't showing you I reccomend just watching a learn to play video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends also on how deep and competitive you and your opponent are. It will take just a little bit longer when you're not only considering what moves are best for you, but which of those may also stymie your opponent. It's not exactly cut-throat, but can be very tight once you're both familiar and anticipating the other's needs turn by turn.

I agree with the 90-120 while learning, unless you're super casual or reckless with your actions.

I recommend playing as long as you can and each game will start to move faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played this a lot 2p; it's usually between 60 and 90 minutes for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmfinc wrote:
The time listed is 30-90 minutes, would it be two player is 30 minutes, three player is 60 minutes, and four player is 90 minutes? We are usually tight for time, so I need to know.
It's 90 minutes for two players, 60 minutes for three players and 30 minutes for four players. No, not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmfinc wrote:

My wife and I have played roughly 12 times 2p, and we've gotten it down to an hour including setup. However, we have a toddler roaming around, so game times can vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvannus Elfgod
Spain
flag msg tools
We played yesterday a 4-player game and it took 150 minutes. Two players had already played the game and the other two were new to it.

I read in the forums that the game speeds up when you have played several times. However we don't get to play very often and I'm afraid the game will not get shorter than 120 minutes.

We also played a 2-player game and it was around 60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.