Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Dangerous
mb
Joe really made a good speech in Philly. Not only did he directly attack Trump (duh!, you expected that), and gave his support for Hilary (Double Duh!), but he explicitly made clear the differences between Trump and the Democrats in this election.

Here is the speech in its entirely.

What I liked best was his ending. Here is a transcript from Slate for those of you who don't have sound cards or who are reading BGG at work (here's looking at you Moshe!)

From Ben Mathis-Liley's article on the speech;

Quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, let’s say the obvious, that is not Donald Trump’s story. Just listen to me a second without booing or cheering. His cynicism and undoubtedly his lack of empathy and compassion can be summed up in that phrase he is most proud of making famous: “You're fired.” I’m not joking. Think about that. Think about that. Think about everything you learned as a child. No matter where you were raised, how can there be pleasure in saying, “You’re fired?”

He is trying to tell us he cares about the middle class. Give me a break. That is a bunch of malarkey....

...Folks, whatever doubts, I mean what I say. But sometimes I say all that I mean. Let me tell you what I literally tell every leader I’ve met with—and I’ve met them all. It’s never, never, never been a good bet to bet against America.

We have the finest fighting force in the world. Not only do we have the largest economy in the world, we have the strongest economy in the world. We have the most productive workers in the world. And give it a fair shot. Given a fair chance. Americans have never, ever, ever, ever, ever let the country down. Never!

“We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!”

Good stuff. Directly attacks Rudy Giuliani and the others at Breitbart out there who are moaning that the Democrats aren't talking about terrorism!!, and completely ignoring what the Democrats have been grasping towards all this week.

As Michelle and Joe argued forcefully in their speeches, this election is about the future. There is so much to be proud about in this nation, so many reasons to be optimistic. So rather than obsessing about the dangers of terrorism, we should focus on the future. We have the finest military in the world, with the biggest economy; but we are admired for our principles, not our power.

We should fight terrorism, but not sacrifice our principles- it makes us less safe. We should build up the middle class, because that makes the rich richer and gives the poor a means up. What Republicans all last week have called Democratic naivety or elitism is, in fact, the best way forward. We don't need walls, we need to leave up to our principles. Its not just right, its practical politics.

This is the difference between the Democrats and the Republicans right now; Giuliani and Trump want to play on our fears, and Hilary and Biden want us to not lose faith in America's ability to be better.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Thrilling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Joe really made a good speech in Philly. Not only did he directly attack Trump (duh!, you expected that), and gave his support for Hilary (Double Duh!), but he explicitly made clear the differences between Trump and the Democrats in this election.

Here is the speech in its entirely.

What I liked best was his ending. Here is a transcript from Slate for those of you who don't have sound cards or who are reading BGG at work (here's looking at you Moshe!)

From Ben Mathis-Liley's article on the speech;

Quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, let’s say the obvious, that is not Donald Trump’s story. Just listen to me a second without booing or cheering. His cynicism and undoubtedly his lack of empathy and compassion can be summed up in that phrase he is most proud of making famous: “You're fired.” I’m not joking. Think about that. Think about that. Think about everything you learned as a child. No matter where you were raised, how can there be pleasure in saying, “You’re fired?”

He is trying to tell us he cares about the middle class. Give me a break. That is a bunch of malarkey....

...Folks, whatever doubts, I mean what I say. But sometimes I say all that I mean. Let me tell you what I literally tell every leader I’ve met with—and I’ve met them all. It’s never, never, never been a good bet to bet against America.

We have the finest fighting force in the world. Not only do we have the largest economy in the world, we have the strongest economy in the world. We have the most productive workers in the world. And give it a fair shot. Given a fair chance. Americans have never, ever, ever, ever, ever let the country down. Never!

“We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!”

Good stuff. Directly attacks Rudy Giuliani and the others at Breitbart out there who are moaning that the Democrats aren't talking about terrorism!!, and completely ignoring what the Democrats have been grasping towards all this week.

As Michelle and Joe argued forcefully in their speeches, this election is about the future. There is so much to be proud about in this nation, so many reasons to be optimistic. So rather than obsessing about the dangers of terrorism, we should focus on the future. We have the finest military in the world, with the biggest economy; but we are admired for our principles, not our power.

We should fight terrorism, but not sacrifice our principles- it makes us less safe. We should build up the middle class, because that makes the rich richer and gives the poor a means up. What Republicans all last week have called Democratic naivety or elitism is, in fact, the best way forward. We don't need walls, we need to leave up to our principles. Its not just right, its practical politics.

This is the difference between the Democrats and the Republicans right now; Giuliani and Trump want to play on our fears, and Hilary and Biden want us to not lose faith in America's ability to be better.

Darilian

An excellent emotional argument. Esp 9:30 to 13:30.

I'm so happy to see the democrats finding a dignified but emotional argument to counter trump's strongman appeal to emotion.

And after that Biden leads into a rational argument for independents based on trumps lack of experience and competence. Well crafted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, still an appeal to patriotism (nationalism). And appeal to fear will win, because America sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Eh, still an appeal to patriotism (nationalism). And appeal to fear will win, because America sucks.

People can be inspired to hope. It was a feature of the obama campaigns as well.

Also, I think that some appeal to patriotism and nationalism was required given trumps campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This too should be in the DNC thread I hassled Dashi(for all the good it did) so I gotta hassle here too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like that guy. He's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the Biden who is going to become the GOPs candidate or the other one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Thrilling.

Biden is still going to be the Democratic nominee, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Creepy uncles can be very persuasive.

You might think this is ad hominem, and on some level it is. But persuasive speeches based on emotion can be judged based on the persons character who makes them. His skills at seduction are very relevant. He is trying to seduce Democrats and undecideds just like he tries to seduce every woman who comes within 10 feet of him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Creepy uncles can be very persuasive.

You might think this is ad hominem, and on some level it is. But persuasive speeches based on emotion can be judged based on the persons character who makes them. His skills at seduction are very relevant. He is trying to seduce Democrats and undecideds just like he tries to seduce every woman who comes within 10 feet of him.

he is a hound dog.

I have it on good authority he is having an affair.
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/UnNews:Vice_president_Biden_accused_of_infidelity
Quote:
14 January 2013
Joe-biden

Vice President Biden seen here not fucking your mom

Washington DC, USA -- Scandal has erupted in Washington today, with rumors that US Vice President Joe Biden was committed infidelity. Vice Biden President Biden rumored to be having affair with your mom, in the kitchen, last night. Speaking on behalf of Biden, President Barack Obama denied the allegations. When asked why Biden himself wasn't responding to the allegations, Obama replied that the administration does not allow Biden near microphones, reporters, or any mass communication device.

One anonymous source close to your mom has denied these allegations, "I with your mom last night, fucking her, in the kitchen. While there were many, and I stress many, people there also fucking your mom, Joe Biden was not among them. I was with your mom all night long. I mean the whole night, from dusk until the cock crowed. And by "cock crowing", I mean morning, not a cheesy metaphor for ejaculation. But I did ejaculate last several times, in your mom, along with several other people. Anyway, out of all the people who were fucking your mom last night in the kitchen, Joe Biden was not among them. I even have the videos to prove it." Our reporter declined to examine the videos.

"Also, aging Rod Stewart was notably absent," said the anonymous witness. "Now, I can't say with absolute certainty that Joe Biden didn't fuck your mom in some other location. Perhaps he was hiding in your linen closet and did a quickie with your mom in the bathroom. Granted, such a scenario is quite unlikely, but I can't swear for certain it didn't happen. Likewise, Biden could have fucked your mom in the kitchen on some previous night. I only fuck your mom about twice a week, so that leaves 5 days in given that week that Biden could have fucked your mom in the kitchen. Additionally, Joe Biden could have fucked your mom during day. However, I have never seen Biden or his vehicle while going to your house for the purpose of fucking your mom in the kitchen at night. To sum it up, Joe Biden didn't fuck your mom in the kitchen last night."

Republican congressmen, however, are not convinced. Speaker John Boehner was sworn to lead an investigation to determine if Joe Biden did or not fuck your mom in the kitchen last night. Speaking about the videos allegedly showing your mom fucking several people in the kitchen last night other than Biden, Speak Boenher said, "This video supposedly shows that Joe Biden didn't fuck your mom in the kitchen last night, however, it is quite possible that Joe Biden could have been off camera. This is something only a congressional investigation can determine."

With your mom.

Let's see..
First- he absolutely is closer than he would be with a guy in most of the photos. Second, most the females look happy so he's not creeping them out (possible exceptions- flat smile redhead and pasted on smile brunette). In several he's apparently saying something funny. In a few he's in what's probably a crowded noisy room.

Other than your mom, it doesn't look like he's had a lot of affairs but he is definitely a touchy person.

And he's apparently been hitting on obama
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Let's see..
First- he absolutely is closer than he would be with a guy in most of the photos. Second, most the females look happy so he's not creeping them out (possible exceptions- flat smile redhead and pasted on smile brunette). In several he's apparently saying something funny. In a few he's in what's probably a crowded noisy room.
That's the thing with creepy uncles, they can be charming and persuasive and then the creep emerges. Many people had positive reactions to his speech also, that doesn't mean he isn't manipulating them to get what he wants.

(not to mention, the redhead? A 13 year old young girl)

EDIT: I deleted the link, because the source was a distraction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't let him or Bill Clinton near my daughter, wife or mom. It's too bad that women have a legitimate woman candidate this election who is surrounded by slimy men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Let's see..
That's the thing with creepy uncles, they can be charming and persuasive and then the creep emerges. Many people had positive reactions to his speech also, that doesn't mean he isn't manipulating them to get what he wants.

Sigh.

As a guy who hugs other guys and who makes a part time income touching human beings, it really pisses me off that people have criminalized humans touching other humans in innocuous ways. Humans crave touch. Humans used to touch each other much more up until about the late 1970s.

The creepy uncle thing is an attack by people who don't like joe biden.
Many of the sites pushing it are obviously right wing from the url.

Politicians touch other humans because touching gets votes- touching connects them to voters.

Am I saying there is no smoke there? No.
Given the attack, biden probably needs to cut back. But at this point, he probably doesn't give a shit as he's joining the ranks of either amusing or creepy old guys who flirt with young women. I did it at the register yesterday and I swear the young lady was asking me to go out for drinks (which I wasn't prepared for- I was just said she was pretty to be nice - I'm old enough to be her father and perhaps her grandfather).

And while I'm on the topic, I've had female friends complain bitterly at being spurned by young men who go to great lengths to avoid touching them or smiling at them apparently for fear of 'sending off the wrong signals'. This avoidance behavior by the men makes my friends feel unwanted and unattractive. As a result, I made it a point to complement and even lightly flirt with older women and it appears to make them very happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Sigh.

As a guy who hugs other guys and who makes a part time income touching peole, it really pisses me off that people have criminalized humans touching other humans. Humans crave touch. Humans used to touch each other much more up until about the late 1970s.

And platonic hugs like those you cherry picked are fine, we aren't talking about those. If you are saying that his hugs for men and hugs (not to mention on the lips kissing) for women are the same, then you either are willfully ignoring his creepiness or don't really get casual physical contact. Until he pulls men down onto his lap, whispers in their ears from behind while holding their shoulders and kisses them on the lips, I'm going to say there is a difference between his contact and it is based on sex. Creepy.

It doesn't matter if images come from the right as they aren't photshopped for creepiness. That is all Biden. But like Bill Clinton, the Democrats embarrassingly avert their eyes when they pull their shenanigans.

Look, I'd be happy not liking Biden just for his verbal gaffes and miscues. His inappropriate contact with women should not be tolerated by anybody who thinks power imbalances shouldn't be used to take advantage of polite interactions and make them unseemly. I'm not going to ignore my creep radar just because the right also likes to use it undermine Democrats. if Democrats tolerate the behavior, then maybe they deserve the criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Sigh.

As a guy who hugs other guys and who makes a part time income touching peole, it really pisses me off that people have criminalized humans touching other humans. Humans crave touch. Humans used to touch each other much more up until about the late 1970s.

And platonic hugs like those you cherry picked are fine, we aren't talking about those. If you are saying that his hugs for men and hugs (not to mention on the lips kissing) for women are the same, then you either are willfully ignoring his creepiness or don't really get casual physical contact. Until he pulls men down onto his lap, whispers in their ears from behind while holding their shoulders and kisses them on the lips, I'm going to say there is a difference between his contact and it is based on sex. Creepy.

It doesn't matter if images come from the right as they aren't photshopped for creepiness. That is all Biden. But like Bill Clinton, the Democrats embarrassingly avert their eyes when they pull their shenanigans.

Look, I'd be happy not liking Biden just for his verbal gaffes and miscues. His inappropriate contact with women should not be tolerated by anybody who thinks power imbalances shouldn't be used to take advantage of polite interactions and make them unseemly. I'm not going to ignore my creep radar just because the right also likes to use it undermine Democrats. if Democrats tolerate the behavior, then maybe they deserve the criticism.

Cherry picking? Perhaps a half dozen photos in eight years as vice president? Pot.. kettle.

Like I said, it's a smear campaign. And I hate it because it attacks any human touching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Cherry picking? Perhaps a half dozen photos in eight years as vice president? Pot.. kettle.

Like I said, it's a smear campaign. And I hate it because it attacks any human touching.
See, my cherry picking was showing inappropriate contact that actually happened, yours was showing appropriate contact, which is irrelevant to the fact that the first image showed he isn't always appropriate. I never claimed he couldn't control his libido around men.

Here is the link I deleted from the earlier post because it comes from Gawker and they are a shitty site, but it came up in my Google search and has lots of real images of Biden getting his creep on.
http://gawker.com/joe-biden-we-need-to-talk-about-the-way-yo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you two quit faking? I have it on good authority all liberals are a hive mind slavering at the feet of their overlords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

See, my cherry picking was showing inappropriate contact that actually happened, yours was showing appropriate contact, which is irrelevant to the fact that the first image showed he isn't always appropriate. I never claimed he couldn't control his libido around men.

Here is the link I deleted from the earlier post because it comes from Gawker and they are a shitty site, but it came up in my Google search and has lots of real images of Biden getting his creep on.
http://gawker.com/joe-biden-we-need-to-talk-about-the-way-yo...

No my point was that Biden is a toucher.

He touches without regard to gender or age. Elderly, children, boys, men, adult women and men.

I seriously doubt he goes home and jacks off about leaning in to whisper a funny joke in a lady's ear while touching her shoulder in a crowded noisy room.

Anyway-- take the last poke, I'm not going to engage on this issue any more- I think both our positions are well staked out.

---

It was a fabulous speech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Anyway-- take the last poke,
Typical Biden supporter, sexualizing a platonic interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
]That's the thing with creepy uncles, they can be charming and persuasive and then the creep emerges. girl)

EDIT: I deleted the link, because the source was a distraction

He's a creepy uncle who did more against violence against women than almost any other legislator, by funding shelters and money for investigations and prosecutions, amongst other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
What people choose to see says a lot about their mindset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Or not to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

So are you saying that Joe Biden is a human Rorschach test?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Oh Christ on a cracker.

Has any of these "victims" complained, filed charges, ranted at a press conference? Yes, some of them look uncomfortable. Maybe they didn't expect it. Maybe they're typical tight-assed WASPs who've never seen their spouse of 30 years naked. Maybe that's their O face.

Who knows? Anybody seriously complained that Joe Biden is a groper? Nope. So, once again, a non-issue turned into "Something Big!!!" because of politics.

I didn't watch the speech. Haven't watched a second of either convention and am proud of that. I don't need a bunch of politicians and their backers blowing smoke up my ass without actually being specific about one damn thing.

But I read the transcript of Biden's speech (and Kaine's and, you know, that Muslim Socialist Kenyan guy). Biden was the best. Wish to God he had decided to run. Or that Bernie had won. Ah well. Kaine's was nice but not exciting -- I hear that's his personality. Obama's was typical of him -- he's too professorial for 85 percent of the population. But compared to Trump's acceptance speech, it was boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.