Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Lin
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone can share their thoughts and opinions?
If I can only get one which would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Apple or matchbox car
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget this one: First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Isch
United States
chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben
Netherlands
flag msg tools
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Apple or matchbox car

Why do you use this expression? Please add rationale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben
Netherlands
flag msg tools
At the moment at least three games with Mars theme are announced. One with the need of an app something I can see gives extra options for the designer. For me If I buy a boardgame then I want to be sure I can still play it in ten years. So for now I am going to wait and see what is going to happen with app based board games. Remains the two mentioned games by the starter. I am really interrested in peoples opinion regarding these board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
The trio of Martian games all look great. Just depends upon which design strikes your fancy.

My number one must have from all of Gencon is TM. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im pretty much a space nut, so Im always excited for anything space related (the hype for ps4 No Mans Sky I cant even put into words).... That being said, Im leaning towards this one for sure and hope to get it soon !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered Martians: a story of civilization myself and I think I'll prefer it over First Martians, partly because of the app requirement. They do have a very similar theme: initial colonization of Mars. TM on the other hand has a much more epic setting (if I may say so), several centuries in the future and on a planetary scale.
Comparing TM to what I've seen of Martians:ASOC, I think MASOC has a more focus on mechanics, while TM has more focus on thematics, having a sandbox-like open game system. So if you like to indulge in euro-mechanics, I think MASOC will be great (though TM has its share of those too). If you like engine building, then TM is the right game for you. If you like Mars at all, you should have them both and play them in sequence

Cheers for the year of Mars games!
(And these are not the only Mars games coming out)
/Jacob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Rubinio wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Apple or matchbox car

Why do you use this expression? Please add rationale.

My interpretation is that he meant these games are so unlike each other (with the exception of Mars in the theme) that comparing them is like comparing any two random objects.

I would tend to agree. One is co-op, other competitive, one is worker placement, other is tile placement. Get the one that looks most interesting to your personal tastes, or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
El Rubinio wrote:
For me If I buy a boardgame then I want to be sure I can still play it in ten years. So for now I am going to wait and see what is going to happen with app based board games.

HAhaha comments like these crack me up - do you understand how an app works? will all your devices and home appliances stop working? If that's the case playing a board game is the last damn thing you should be doing, survival should take over. hahaha
-
I for one will probably buy all three of these games - with Terraforming being the last one of the three i want. I already ordered Martians - and when the APP-BG game comes along by Mr. Ignacy Tre%z#wcyk ; im looking forward to that even more as his games are brilliant. If you haven't played an app driven board game like Xcom er such, your missing out big time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
comments like these crack me up - do you understand how an app works? will all your devices and home appliances stop working?

I test mobile apps for a living, and El Rubinio is exactly right. A mobile app, depending on how its written, could stop working entirely because of a server failure (if it has a server component) or a minor OS update 2 weeks from now that depreciates a system call, or an app-store policy change that causes it to be removed from the mobile store, it might just have crippling bugs.

Or, it might work great and happily continue to work and be backwards compatible for the next 10 years with zero issues.

I expect the latter will be true for many professionally made board-game apps, but there is by no means any expectation that companies that know how to make cardboard also know how to make and support software. Wanting to see how an app performs before diving in seems perfectly reasonable to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Ohbee wrote:
comments like these crack me up - do you understand how an app works? will all your devices and home appliances stop working?

Wanting to see how an app performs before diving in seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That i can see as a valid response, but in truth the app will never be connected to the internet to work' this isn't a mmo. once downloaded you will Always have it on as many devices as you want. The fact that some people state that the world will end and they cant play their boardgame anymore cause of no electricity to charge your device; playing a game is the least of your problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
once downloaded you will Always have it on as many devices as you want.

I think you're missing the point here. There are already a few apps I bought back when the AppStore opened (not even 10 years ago), which don't run under the latest iOS anymore. As intriguing as it may sound, but incorporating an app into a boardgame - and thus creating a dependency - may as well backfire in the long run (after the publishers cashed your check)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
El Rubinio wrote:
For me If I buy a boardgame then I want to be sure I can still play it in ten years. So for now I am going to wait and see what is going to happen with app based board games.

HAhaha comments like these crack me up - do you understand how an app works? will all your devices and home appliances stop working? If that's the case playing a board game is the last damn thing you should be doing, survival should take over. hahaha
-
I for one will probably buy all three of these games - with Terraforming being the last one of the three i want. I already ordered Martians - and when the APP-BG game comes along by Mr. Ignacy Tre%z#wcyk ; im looking forward to that even more as his games are brilliant. If you haven't played an app driven board game like Xcom er such, your missing out big time.

I curiously ask people who make that comment, "I want to play it in 10 years" and ask them to list for me the top hits of 1997 that still goes to their table. Settlers of Cataan was somewhere around that era and it doesn't hit my table anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Imagine wrote:
Ohbee wrote:
once downloaded you will Always have it on as many devices as you want.

I think you're missing the point here. There are already a few apps I bought back when the AppStore opened (not even 10 years ago), which don't run under the latest iOS anymore. As intriguing as it may sound, but incorporating an app into a boardgame - and thus creating a dependency - may as well backfire in the long run (after the publishers cashed your check)...

Is he missing the point, or are you missing the point? Or are both of you making points and just not accepting each other?

Your point is that it won't last forever. You can still pull out an Avalon HIll classic from 1979 and play it should you choose.

His point is that for your gaming money, you will enjoy your game inside and out and play it dozens (or more times) before that will ever happen. And most of us, don't pull out 1979 games and keep playing them because there are modern games that do the same thing, but better.

Both are valid points. It boils down to preference. However, I will add my own point. I don't think any of you who fall into the "1979 Avalon Hill" bucket bought that game, in 1979, with the intention of playing it 10 years later. And unless this game becomes an "all time classic", it won't stay on your shelf for 10 years either...even if it didn't come with an app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:
I don't think any of you who fall into the "1979 Avalon Hill" bucket bought that game, in 1979, with the intention of playing it 10 years later. And unless this game becomes an "all time classic", it won't stay on your shelf for 10 years either...even if it didn't come with an app.

Off the top of my hat, we already played Nuclear War, Wiz-War (classic), Civilization, Atlantic Storm, Full Metal Planete, and The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game this year. I may not have bought these with the intention of playing them 10 years later, but the fact that we do, makes me aware of such details. I disagree with you that modern games are better just because they are modern - Wiz-War being a great example to prove that point - and my gaming group enjoys seeing how mechanics evolved over time.

While I do agree that it boils down to preference, I think it would be just sad to create a great game that had an expiration date (like computer games). But hey, I'm the one who shakes his head at people who rip up their Pandemic Legacy cards, claiming 'that's the only way to properly experience the game'... So what do I know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Twilight Struggle is 11 years old and I expect to be playing it in another 10 years - or 20 - or 30! If you check out this geeklist, you might be surprised at the years people rate as their favorite.

Another interesting list on a similar topic: Best "Old School" game you own from before Y2K..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe i understand technology better - the guy complaining back at me with an Apple product. haha - just fyi i can still play Floppy drive games from the 80's on my Modern computer.. . And I still play board games from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even one from kickstarter that just arrived.. Played Omega Virus, stocks and bonds, win place and show, Scythe, agricola, Murder she Wrote, and kicked my buddies ass in Dragon Strike all within the past weeks - then i played Xcom which is 3 years old with an APP - i better get all my uses in the next 7 years. (sarcastic asshole i am)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get back to the OP's question, I have only played Terraforming Mars of the games you mention...but it's very, very good.

I picked it up at GenCon, knowing very little about it. In fact, I hadn't heard of the game until I wandered by the Stronghold booth on Thursday morning.

It looked interesting, so I started reading the .pdf of the rulebook. I went back and bought the game and have played it twice now.

So far, it appears to be a deep and engaging Euro, and our two games played very differently, shaped by the starting Corporations and opening hands.

I'll need to play TM several more times before I can form a firmer opinion, but my preliminary impression is that TM is a real winner. Definitely the game of the Con for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
Maybe i understand technology better - the guy complaining back at me with an Apple product. haha - just fyi i can still play Floppy drive games from the 80's on my Modern computer.. . And I still play board games from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even one from kickstarter that just arrived.. Played Omega Virus, stocks and bonds, win place and show, Scythe, agricola, Murder she Wrote, and kicked my buddies ass in Dragon Strike all within the past weeks - then i played Xcom which is 3 years old with an APP - i better get all my uses in the next 7 years. (sarcastic asshole i am)

You are obviously better than me at everything. I would've humbly thumbed up your post, but given how you have already wisely taken care of that yourself, I'm not going to taint it with my unworthy opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These days, aside from FFG doing a reprint of a classic Euro game, nothing gets BGGers fired up is the inclusion of a companion app in a game.

It's caused this thread to go completely off script into a debate related to a game that wasn't even part of the original ask of the OP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnoud de Vos
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
For me personally a boardgame is a boardgame. When you add apps to it that is where it stops being a boardgame for me. It is supposed to be something unplugged. If I would want to play a game with electronic devices involved I can as well play a videogame.
I can compare it with pinball. You have the classic tables from the 50s to the 80s which are pinball as it has been for 4 decades. Then they started to throw in videomodes and making the gameplay so complex that (the majority of) the players lost interest and pinball died. I hope that boardames will always stay as boardgames are supposed to be, otherwise they will lose their attraction to me.
To come back to the original question, I have played TM and it is a great game. MASOC I have looked at the rulebook only so far, but is is a completely different game, but I cant judge it yet.
The third game is, as you may understand from my previous writing, of no interest to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine wrote:
Ohbee wrote:

You are obviously better than me at everything. I would've humbly thumbed up your post, but given how you have already wisely taken care of that yourself, I'm not going to taint it with my unworthy opinion.

Congratulations to Imagine for deftly comprehending and executing one part of the contest, and leaving the other part of the contest alone. Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.