$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 65.66

4,622 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.1% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: What's coming to GenCon? [Answered] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a GF9 Facebook post on July 1 where they made a comment that a new item for Firefly would be at GenCon this year and details to come.
They said it would be an accessory.
Has anyone seen any further details??

Edit:
They just posted.
It is a 6'x4' mat.
Basically like the previous mat, but with places for the decks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: What's coming to GenCon?
I don't know anything about it, but I believe someone mentioned something like a "First player coin."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Unterneukirchen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's coming to GenCon?
Are there any chances that the Loot crate and the other promotional card will be available at the GenCon, too?

And if there would be something like a first player coin, could someone get those 3 things for me and send it to Germany afterwards?




(German players still hope that Blue Sun will be released in October on the Spiel in Essen, but it's still quite silent around this expansion)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's coming to GenCon?
McEve wrote:

(German players still hope that Blue Sun will be released in October on the Spiel in Essen, but it's still quite silent around this expansion)


You mean "Blue Sun" as German version, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Unterneukirchen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's coming to GenCon?
Yes. A member of Heidelberger told me at the ComicCon in Stuttgart that the German version of Blue Sun is completely printed and already on the way to Germany (together with the German version of P&B).

P&B was released meanwhile but there was no single word on BlueSun.

So I think it will be released at Spiel16.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's coming to GenCon?
McEve wrote:
Are there any chances that the Loot crate and the other promotional card will be available at the GenCon, too?

And if there would be something like a first player coin, could someone get those 3 things for me and send it to Germany afterwards?




(German players still hope that Blue Sun will be released in October on the Spiel in Essen, but it's still quite silent around this expansion)


What "other" promo item is this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: What's coming to GenCon?
I think that's a reference to the second of the Loot Crate cards - a Fruity Oaty Bar for Persephone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Unterneukirchen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's coming to GenCon?
Yes, that's right. The Fruity Oaty Bar.


I didn't remember the name of this card and on this computer here the subcategories of the single game pages are not working. So I couldn't look it up by myself.

Thanks gwek for clarifying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's coming to GenCon?
Glamdryn wrote:
McEve wrote:
Are there any chances that the Loot crate and the other promotional card will be available at the GenCon, too?

And if there would be something like a first player coin, could someone get those 3 things for me and send it to Germany afterwards?

What "other" promo item is this?

These are the Loot Crate cards. i'm hoping that I can find them somewhere, out there...

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty
msg tools
OutOfHabit wrote:
Edit:
They just posted.
It is a 6'x4' mat.
Basically like the previous mat, but with places for the decks.


Also, they're releasing the Euro version of the base set in the US. With the Artful Dodger out of print, I'm glad new players will be able to get their hands on it, although I'm worried that it sounds like they're including the Big Damn Heroes but not Mal's Bonnet or Wash's Dinosaurs, since they were the best part of the card pack. I emailed them about it, so I'll edit this if I hear back.

As someone who has the old mat and doesn't think the new one looks better, I'll be disappointed if we don't get any ship packs or something else new this year. I'm starting to worry about Star Trek costing us some more Firefly content.

Edit: They emailed me back saying that it would include Mal's Bonnet and Wash's Dinosaurs, as well as a copy of the Artful Dodger's drive core, but not Niska's Holiday (didn't have high hopes for that one, though). Seems like it'd be a better version of the base set, bundling in all of the early promotional material, but for some weird reason I was told that it's only going to be available at this Gen Con, and then it won't ever be released again stateside.

Hopefully that at least keeps the door open for a possible enhanced Artful Dodger ship pack that also included the promos from the card pack. That'd make it more or less on par with the other ship packs in terms of content, and would be a good way to get both of those out-of-print promos back on the market. In a perfect world it'd also come with Niska's Holiday and First Time in the Captain's Chair so that it could supplement either base version with the missing story card, but they don't seem to have any interest in that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1337salty wrote:
OutOfHabit wrote:
Edit:
They just posted.
It is a 6'x4' mat.
Basically like the previous mat, but with places for the decks.


Also, they're releasing the Euro version of the base set in the US. With the Artful Dodger out of print, I'm glad new players will be able to get their hands on it, although I'm worried that it sounds like they're including the Big Damn Heroes but not Mal's Bonnet or Wash's Dinosaurs, since they were the best part of the card pack. I emailed them about it, so I'll edit this if I hear back.

As someone who has the old mat and doesn't think the new one looks better, I'll be disappointed if we don't get any ship packs or something else new this year. I'm starting to worry about Star Trek costing us some more Firefly content.


If anyone is planning upgrade from initial mat to this new one, let me know. I'd love to talk about buying it. (I'll make a new thread.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Joe says...Be nice today!
mbmbmbmbmb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty cool, but the problem is that there is only room for 4 people to put their ship and cards around this map at a standard sized table.

Still a cool map and I'll probably get one for those games where I play with less than 5 people.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had a standard table be 4 feet wide. I think I'll pass for now and use my current system of Plastic parts holders from Hardware store (Menards). I have pics on my phone some where and plan on posting as a "deck solution"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, no price mentioned on that bigger mat. Any guesses?

http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=227&art_id=5272

Edit: posted too soon. Their Facebook page says $80.
https://www.facebook.com/FireflyBoardGame
Quote:
GF9’s “Vera” Edition Game Mat is a show exclusive special debuting at Gen Con this year!
This beautiful 6’ x 4’ play surface is inspired by the spectacular game tables that GF9 commissions for our events. This game mat is miles more worthy than any table you’d play your games of Firefly on and is sure to become an object of extreme sentimental value. “Vera” is the ultimate Firefly: The Game playing surface. The “Vera” edition game mat is exclusive to show appearances so be sure to pick one up at Gen Con!
This convention special game mat will be available for $80 at the show. That’s right, only $80 gorram credits, its theft at that price! This the best game mat made by man.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Dangit. Been trying to find an Artful Dodger because I lost my player board sometime over the last two moves, and didn't really want to have to get one from Canada... but I'm sure not going to buy another copy of the game for it. Sigh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Artful Dodger ship expansion pack no longer available?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Joe says...Be nice today!
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole verse mat was 40$ iirc last year at the convention and is available online for 30-36$.

My guess is in the 45-60$ range. It's bigger, and exclusive to convos.

You can also play over the length of the mat so the gtable doesn't need to be over 4 feet wide.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, the Firefly site hasn't been updated with anything, not even the new 'Vera' mat!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty
msg tools
Firedrake wrote:
Is the Artful Dodger ship expansion pack no longer available?


It's been out of print for a while, and it looks like the remaining stock has just about trickled out. I'm glad I got my copy before ebay prices skyrocketed, but I'm still hoping to see a reprint sometime down the line, maybe even an enhanced version that adds in the card pack.

They said they'll only be selling this euro version at Gen Con for some reason, so I suppose a reprint is still possible, but I can't tell where they stand on it right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
donald thomas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
THe Vera Mat is $80.00 And is made of the same material as a mouse pad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug London
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Luds wrote:


Nice!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.