Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Lin
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone can share their thoughts and opinions?
If I can only get one which would it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well ... I'm backing this one and will take the French language pack so I will able to play with all my - French - friends.

When Terraforming Mars is available in my FLGS I will search info to see its language dependency and its mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fuerst-Brunner
Germany
Neuching
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose to preorder Terraforming Mars and canceled my pledge for M:ASoC. The rulebook is really bad written and the game wants to do too much IMHO. I find TM the better design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyberian wrote:
I chose to preorder Terraforming Mars and canceled my pledge for M:ASoC. The rulebook is really bad written and the game wants to do too much IMHO. I find TM the better design.

I think I'm in the same boat. I just canceled my pledge to M: ASoC ... I'm considering preordering TM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
Terraforming is a competitive Euro style victory point accumulation game. At its heart this is a worker placement, resource management scenario based coop like Robinson Crusoe. While it has semi coop and competitive modes, they are only minor modifications to the gameplay. Definitely room for both, though I will be getting this because Robinson is in my top 5 so anything styled after that is an insta-buy. I have enough Euros and if I were going to pick up another there are several in the top 50 that I would rather own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Lin
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
Terraforming is a competitive Euro style victory point accumulation game. At its heart this is a worker placement, resource management scenario based coop like Robinson Crusoe. While it has semi coop and competitive modes, they are only minor modifications to the gameplay. Definitely room for both, though I will be getting this because Robinson is in my top 5 so anything styled after that is an insta-buy. I have enough Euros and if I were going to pick up another there are several in the top 50 that I would rather own.

I think you meant M:ASoC instead of TM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Loader
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teraforming playes 5. This only playes 4; most of my games only play 4.
That and the pricepoint of $60 shipped made me say no to Martians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cglin222 wrote:
Guillyberto wrote:

I think you meant M:ASoC instead of TM?

No, but I had to read it twice, too. Guilly wrote "Terraforming is a competitive Euro style victory point accumulation game. At its heart this (=> M:ASoC) is a worker placement, resource management scenario based coop like Robinson Crusoe."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl-Gustaf Samuelsson
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars is very language dependant. All cards have English text, although the symbols are actually enough to play it. Still, I don't think there are any other rulebooks available.

I played TM prototype in Essen, and it was frustrating with the cards, where you could pick resources from other players.

But yesterday I played my own copy (pre-sale here in Sweden, as the designer is Swedish). This time I decided to remove all aggressive cards (less than 20%), and it is a great game, which I loved to play. I will never let those card into the deck any more... The other loved it too, included a 12-year old boy (he had no problem to understand the English), so he played well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
globetrotter wrote:
Terraforming Mars is very language dependant. All cards have English text, although the symbols are actually enough to play it. Still, I don't think there are any other rulebooks available.

I played TM prototype in Essen, and it was frustrating with the cards, where you could pick resources from other players.

But yesterday I played my own copy (pre-sale here in Sweden, as the designer is Swedish). This time I decided to remove all aggressive cards (less than 20%), and it is a great game, which I loved to play. I will never let those card into the deck any more... The other loved it too, included a 12-year old boy (he had no problem to understand the English), so he played well too.

You must be extremely averse to games with direct player interaction to want to remove the interactive cards from the project deck. As you said, the percentage of cards which can affect other players is less than 20%. And the cards that affect any player's resources is an optional effect, so players can choose to not apply the effect. That means there are very few cards that require a player to directly affect the production of another player. Most of TM is about building and managing your own VP engine and resource economy. Compared to the many other euros I've played, I don't find TM to be more interactive that most games. The main difference is players choose when to play the direct interaction cards, and they choose the target player. Most other euros emphasize indirect interaction (i.e. I choose an action which inadvertently messes up your plans), which can be even more frustrating. If someone's going to mess with me, I'd rather it be a deliberate choice, and done because they see me as a threat. Also, the cards that can affect other players are more expensive, so messing with your opponents has a price.

But at the end of the day, if removing those cards makes the game more fun for you, then that's how you should play the game. I just don't want anyone to read this thread and walk away with the idea that TM is some sort of Ameritrash attack fest, because it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be honest, I don't even know why you would put these two specific games in an "either or" choice together. The only similarities between them are
- both have a Mars theme
- both are coming out at a similar time (TM being ~6 months ahead of MASoC as it seems)

They don't have much else in common IMHO.

To me, the theme alone makes the two vastly different. MASoC deals with running a single colony on Mars, on a fairly detailed level. TM on the other hand is about terraforming the entire planet over the course of hundreds of years, obviously at a much more "zoomed out" level.

That's nothing to say about the mechanics and gameplay concepts, which of course are also very different.

Personally, I like both approaches, but they're not scratching quite the same itch for me in terms of theme and feel. I am getting my own TM copy at Spiel, but I'm still keeping MASoC on my radar. sauron

(As for globetrotter's remarks two posts above, TM is available in English, Polish, and German, but most text on the cards is just there to help you out - the symbols alone are usually sufficient to understand what a card does, with the exception of special rules indicated by an asterisk * and ALL-CAPS text.
The relatively minor "take that" effect on some cards have their own discussion threads in the TM forum here and here, but this is the MASoC forum, so I'm not getting into detail here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.