Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the additions breaking the routine the first game provided ?

In the first game it was obvious what to do with most survivors as they had special abilities like better searching at a specific place. So you walk out to your preferred location and keep searching there for turns and turns until being satisfied with the findings.

There was a certain boring monotony to your actions each game with few hard decisions and I hope there are better reasons to change locations with this version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no "search here" survivors in this one, so things tend to be a tad more flexible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like anything, it really seems to depend on a number of factors. First, there is only 1 character with a double-search ability. Also, I don't believe there is any blueprints in this game, meaning less chances to exploit searching for everyone. So this may reduce the camping and mining strategy you talk about.

Also, the new modules in this game seem designed to encourage more movement. For example, Raxxon requires certain dice values in order to stop the zombie break out. So people may need to move in and out of the location depending on the dice they have. If the zombies get out of Raxxon, they are sent to random locations and must be fought first before any other attack action can be taken. So unless you want to risk facing them, you may want to move out of that location. Searching at Raxxon requires an exposure role, which may prevent people from camping there and just searching over and over.

The Bandit module block spots typical for survivors while still attracting zombies. This may affect movement, encourage people to move more (or just fight more instead of dumping all dice into searching every turn until the last possible second). Bandits steal items and take them to their hideout where you can move to get specific items but with added risk.

So I think the intent is to try and discourage camping out by increasing some of the risks of staying still. However, it also comes down to the luck of the dice in some sense. In my first game I camped at Raxxon the whole game. I had the pharmacist and good exposure rolls. Also, the super-zombies that did excape, only once went to a location that people were camping at. One player dealt with it and it almost hurt him in the long run, but they DID learn the new risks and consequences of hanging out in location where there is a super zombie. By that point though, we were nearing end game so could wait it out anyway.

tl;dr - the game seems like they are trying to reduce the problem you mention and encourage more movement and less camping. But there is never any guarantee it won't still happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
I really hope the game will improve. The first game went down rapidly for our group after only a few plays as it was too easy to game the system by camping. I think this was a big weakness, dropping it to a 5 out of 10 for me.

European preorder here, so I'm still waiting to get a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.