Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The Freebooter cards say:
"After drafting this player, return 1 player from your roster to the game box. Them shuffle your roster to create a new Team deck.

Page 15 of the rulebook says:
"If a manager drafts a Star Player with the Freebooter ability, the manager searches his roster and chooses one player to return to the game box. Then he adds the Star Player with the Freebooter ability to his roster and shuffles it to create a new Team deck."

Page 17 of the rulebook says:
"When you reveal this player from your improvement pile, you may remove any one Player card from either your Team deck or discard pile and return it to the game box. Then add the Freebooter to your roster and shuffle it to create a new Team deck."

Page 1 of the FAQ says:
"(When resolving the Freebooter ability,the player may choose to return a card from his hand to the game box, but he is not required to reshuffle cards in hand into his deck.)

Page 2 of the FAQ says:
"Q: When a manager reveals a Freebooter from his improvement pile, is he required to return one card from his roster to the game box?

A: No, it is optional. On page 17 of the rulebook, it reads “you may remove any one Player card…” The Freebooter ability text on Player cards merely serves as a reminder for what the ability does. Note that the manager must shuffle his deck and discard pile, even if he chooses not to return one card to the game box."

The initial impression I got was that if the manager drafts a Freebooter then they MUST discard a card from their roster (all his team cards including discards) and then they add the Freebooter and shuffle that into their entire roster to make a new Team deck.

However, the FAQ says that the manager may discard a card but isn't required to reshuffle their roster. But then it says on pg 2 that they MUST shuffle their deck and discard pile even if they don't return a card to the game box. This seems directly contradictory to what is said on Page 1 on the FAQ to me!

So how are they supposed to work?
1) The manager decides to discard one of their roster. The Freebooter is combined with all the other Player cards and they are all reshuffled to make a new Team deck. It seems to me that this is how it should work.

2) Can the manager take a Freebooter and not discard another card? If they can, do they still have to reshuffle? If they don't reshuffle, what happens to the Freebooter (if they can still take it)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When revealing any gained star players.

1. Reveal how many freebooters you acquired.
2. Remove up to that many players from your roster (none is an option here).
3. Shuffle in the freebooters.
4. Add any other star players acquired to the top of your deck.
5. Brutally destroy the opposition (optional).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:
However, the FAQ says that the manager may discard a card but isn't required to reshuffle their roster.

The FAQ says you don't have to reshuffle cards in your hand. It does not say you don't have to reshuffle.

So, you can choose to remove a card from your hand, discard or deck. After you have done so, or chosen not to, you reshuffle the discard and deck together, NOT the hand, into a new deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joeri Rotthier
Belgium
Hemiksem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmb
negatrev wrote:

This confuses me.
I was under the impression one could only get one upgrade of each kind from your improvement pile.
One Team upgrade, One staff upgrade, One star player, no matter how many were in there.
Did I misunderstand the rules there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGibson wrote:
negatrev wrote:

This confuses me.
I was under the impression one could only get one upgrade of each kind from your improvement pile.
One Team upgrade, One staff upgrade, One star player, no matter how many were in there.
Did I misunderstand the rules there?

Perhaps.

You resolve each reward individually, so let's say that you get two rewards, one of them has 3 stars and the other one 2 stars.

You would first draw 3 star player cards and you'd pick one of them returning the other two to the bottom of the deck. Then you'd draw 2 star player cards keep one and return the other to the bottom of the star player deck.

This means that you got two star players that round. Each reward resolves itself separately, you wouldn't draw 5 star player cards and keep one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
EDG_ wrote:
However, the FAQ says that the manager may discard a card but isn't required to reshuffle their roster.

The FAQ says you don't have to reshuffle cards in your hand. It does not say you don't have to reshuffle.

So, you can choose to remove a card from your hand, discard or deck. After you have done so, or chosen not to, you reshuffle the discard and deck together, NOT the hand, into a new deck.

Do you even have a hand at the point when you draft a freebooter though? I thought you would have used all your hand cards for the highlights/tournament?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:
andrewbwm wrote:
EDG_ wrote:

Do you even have a hand at the point when you draft a freebooter though? I thought you would have used all your hand cards for the highlights/tournament?

You can choose a pass option (pass as in missing your turn, not throwing), and must forfeit any future turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.