Roland Macdonald
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I am close to finishing my medieval re-themeing of Battle Line
There are a few pictures in the gallery for the game.

I am wondering what people think the ethics are of printing sets of these cards as a component upgrade. So you would just get the cards an no rules box or other information. You could just supplement your copy of the game? I see it like the component uprgades offered by meeple source etc
-https://www.meeplesource.com/products.php?cat=29

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Macdonald
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You can read more about the redesign in this post
http://www.rolandtheillustrator.com/news/2016/7/28/anatomy-o...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RolandDraws wrote:

I am wondering what people think the ethics are of printing sets of these cards as a component upgrade. So you would just get the cards an no rules box or other information. You could just supplement your copy of the game? I see it like the component uprgades offered by meeple source etc
-https://www.meeplesource.com/products.php?cat=29

Personally, I have no ethical problems with this and also consider it a form of component upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wow it looks great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:

Personally, I have no ethical problems with this and also consider it a form of component upgrade.

Same here. The Tactics cards, however, are a bit more iffy, if the text has not at least been re-worded. Has it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new cards look great. I never liked that guy in diapers on the value 4 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LYNDA ORM
United States
Atlanta
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Agree.

The soldier cards are just a deck of cards to purchased and to be used as one would like. It is the special actin crew that may cause issues with the publisher. So be careful.

These are amazing works of art! They should be available for all who wish to purchase. You should be rewarded and regconized for your work.

Sign me up for a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Incredible art. Love it. Battle line is often played in my house. I would totally give you my money to get this upgraded deck of cards even without the Tactic cards which would probably give you some issues with the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ill take a copy also!

star5red wrote:
Agree.

The soldier cards are just a deck of cards to purchased and to be used as one would like. It is the special actin crew that may cause issues with the publisher. So be careful.

These are amazing works of art! They should be available for all who wish to purchase. You should be rewarded and regconized for your work.

Sign me up for a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your cards look great. As for printing, I think it would depend. In the file section there are a lot of rethemes for the game people can use to print their own. If you printed a bunch off to sell to us, that is where things would be muddy.

There is also this Geeklist that has some Artcow links ready to go that make it a little easier.

I've wanted to print off some rethemes myself, as my GMT copy of the game is so damn ugly (and lazy I feel) but I haven't as I'm not so good at using those services.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Macdonald
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I need to choose to make up standard decks (adding JQK to four of the suits) or a lost cities variant as standard deck sizes would make 90cards. Upto 108cards is possible but the it starts to become an expensive proposition.

Which option is most appealling?

Would you pay €20 for this extended deck? It won't come with any rules or counters. It is purely intended as a component upgrade/variant. I am assuming I will only make 50-100 decks. Costs could be lower in larger numbers.

i have considered selling the PDF for print your own but this isn't really worth it as print costs are higher than a deck of proper cards if I order a small batch. I would rather any copies in circulation were of high quality as that was the point of making this set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RolandDraws wrote:
I need to choose to make up standard decks (adding JQK to four of the suits) or a lost cities variant as standard deck sizes would make 90cards. Upto 108cards is possible but the it starts to become an expensive proposition.

Which option is most appealling?

Would you pay €20 for this extended deck? It won't come with any rules or counters. It is purely intended as a component upgrade/variant. I am assuming I will only make 50-100 decks. Costs could be lower in larger numbers.

i have considered selling the PDF for print your own but this isn't really worth it as print costs are higher than a deck of proper cards if I order a small batch. I would rather any copies in circulation were of high quality as that was the point of making this set.

I think if you need to add cards a Lost Cities variant would be a good option over traditional face cards.

Would this include the tactics cards?

20 EUR (plus shipping) is kinda pricey although I appreciate the effort you put into it. What quality would the cards be? What size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Macdonald
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You have to see it as a limited edition (50-100). Then it is not so pricey.
Tactics cards included. Poker(Standard) size cards. Quality would probably be 310gsm linen cards with no box or 300gsm smooth with a box.

I will keep the thread updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mistretta
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own this game and haven't pulled it out in a long while mainly due to the garish artwork. Count me in as very interested in your re-theme.

Have you considered contacting the publisher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Macdonald
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I contacted them at the beginning with a proposal but the said the sold enough copies. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RolandDraws wrote:
I contacted them at the beginning with a proposal but the said the sold enough copies. shake

Wonder if GMT will feel differently once the new edition of Schotten Totten comes out. It has nicer art and includes the tactic cards (for those that like them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT should issue a version of Battleline complimentary in theme to the Command and Colors they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork is amazing! Do you have this available for purchase yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Macdonald
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

I am trying out a smaller card size to make this a better travel game. With poker cards it is quite hard to squeeze onto a standard cafe table... what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Macdonald
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

Borders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Dorito
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally I'm a sucker for borderless cards.
Smaller size is perfectly fine imo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of smaller cards. As you say it takes up less space on the table which is appreciated.

Would the dimensions allow for sleeving though?

I'm neutral on the border option with no preference either way. Side by side the borderless looks better but the shots you have of the cards out, with borders, look really good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Hass
United States
Palm Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of smaller cards and no boarder.
If you sold the PDF would it be easier to get around copyright laws?
Plus wouldn't it be less of a hassle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Macdonald
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I am able to get a licence from Reiner Knizia for a limited run. I am just working out the costs and logistics. Struggling to find a box solution.

The cards would be a very nice 360gsm.
I am planning to add the terrain expansion (adjusted).

As I am going to miss December this is likely to happen early next year.

Poll: Poll of interest
Would you like to buy a copy? I am aiming at €15 there will likely only be only 100 copies. Business card size, thick card stock and terrain expansion on back of cards for 'flags'
Would you buy a copy?
Yes
Yes, i'd buy two
I prefer poker size cards
No
No, too expensive
      27 answers
Poll created by RolandDraws
Closes: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested. Two questions though.

1) What is the terrain expansion?

2) Smaller size cards are good but are they a size that sleeves are available for? If this is going to be a limited thing, I'd like to protect them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.