Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
Had a couple of solo plays of this now, but not sure I understand ship yards...

You start with 4, but I dont ever really do anything with them. I know you need SY's to build other ships, but do you ever move them to other colonies?

I never see the need to buy any more either?

Can anyone tell me how they are used please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Not quite I understand ship yards?...
The ship yards limit how many ships you can build at a time, and where. So if you want to get your economy built faster, or build more than say 2 CA at once, you will need more yards or upgraded SY tech.

You can also build yards forward for quicker ship delivery, and convenient places to do upgrades (also only doable at a SY).

Remember to use one SY counter with a "4", not your 4 SY counters (so you can build more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United Kingdom
St Ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With only 4 SY on a colony you can only build up to 4 hull points of ships per economic phase at SY Tech 1. This can be quite limiting if you never build more or upgrade the tech to support larger hull sizes. Plus if you're not building anymore you have to move everything you build there to where they're needed whilst a forward SY can get ships into action much faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Böklund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pbb76 wrote:
You start with 4, but I dont ever really do anything with them. I know you need SY's to build other ships, but do you ever move them to other colonies?

Well that's the point of them really. You need them to build ships.

Just to make sure you've got the rules correctly:
SY can't move. You build them at a planet and they stay there until they get destroyed.
SY limit the Hull Size you can build per economic phase, so if you researched bigger ship sizes, it can get nesseccary to build more ship yards.

Also a few ship yards on a planet nearer to the enemy can save a few phases to get (new/upgraded/updated) ships to the front line, which can be a huge benefit.

And one thing I missed in my first plays ... you can use group markers with ship yards .

edit: I'm too slow ... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
rchandra wrote:
The ship yards limit how many ships you can build at a time, and where. So if you want to get your economy built faster, or build more than say 2 CA at once, you will need more yards or upgraded SY tech.

You can also build yards forward for quicker ship delivery, and convenient places to do upgrades (also only doable at a SY).

Remember to use one SY counter with a "4", not your 4 SY counters (so you can build more).

Ok thanks for all the replies so far.

I think Rahul's reply is looking to correct what I'm confused about. My understanding of the rules, is I put out all 4 SY counters. This is probably why I'm not 'getting' the point of SYs and how you'd build more at your colonies.

The set up rules clearly say "3 colony ships, 1 miner, 4 ship yards and 3 scouts"

If that doesnt mean 'take the 4 SY markers' then thats really confusing!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Böklund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That confused me as well. Made the same "mistake" in my first game, hence the comment about using group markers on SY.

From the rules it's up to you how you represent a group of for example 3 ships. One ship marker with a 3 group underneath, two ship markers with a 1 and a 2 group marker underneath or 3 ship markers with a 1 group marker each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
weteor wrote:
That confused me as well. Made the same "mistake" in my first game, hence the comment about using group markers on SY.

From the rules it's up to you how you represent a group of for example 3 ships. One ship marker with a 3 group underneath, two ship markers with a 1 and a 2 group marker underneath or 3 ship markers with a 1 group marker each.

Thanks, so actually using the 4 ship markers wasnt necessarily an issue - although it didnt leave me enough counters to build more SYs are other colonies?

But if I use 1 SY with a 4x marker underneath, I can still (at the start at least) still build up to 4 hulls worth of ships yea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Böklund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pbb76 wrote:
Thanks, so actually using the 4 ship markers wasnt necessarily an issue - although it didnt leave me enough counters to build more SYs are other colonies?

exactly. You are limited by the number of ship markers, but can regroup if all groups are in the same hex. So if you use 4 seperate marker for ship yards and need one for another planet, you could group the 4 together and free 3 markers.
The regrouped ships have to be identical though (ship type and upgrade wise).

pbb76 wrote:
But if I use 1 SY with a 4x marker underneath, I can still (at the start at least) still build up to 4 hulls worth of ships yea?

yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone.

Thats really poorly relayed in the rulebook then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it seems to be a common error so I thought I'd add the reminder. It could use a clarification, since it's the only ship that you start with that you wouldn't want to use single counters for (you _could_ start with a pile of 3 SC but why bother).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rchandra wrote:
(you _could_ start with a pile of 3 SC but why bother).

I assume you mean SY. Starting with a pile of 3 SC is usually pretty handy in SE4X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:

I assume you mean SY. Starting with a pile of 3 SC is usually pretty handy in SE4X

I'd rather start with 3 single scouts and it's definitely not worth my mental or finger effort to swap the counters from a 3-pile to 3 counters between turn 0 and 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rchandra wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

I'd rather start with 3 single scouts and it's definitely not worth my mental or finger effort to swap the counters from a 3-pile to 3 counters between turn 0 and 1.

Ah words...by a pile of 3 I thought you meant 3 separate counters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.