Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made clear that This War Without an Enemy was originally designed with Columbia Games in mind as the eventual publisher. The game is based on the card-driven block game system pioneered by Jerry Taylor in titles such as Hammer of the Scots and Crusader Rex. However, much as I like those games, I knew that the warfare of the mid-17th century is different to that of the medieval era and therefore the system needed to be adapted in order to faithfully recreate the history. Over the next few years as I playtested the This War Without an Enemy, I also came up with new ideas both to improve it as a game and also to add more historical atmosphere to the game. The result is, I hope, a game that retains the key positive elements of block games - short playing time, relatively low rules complexity, fog of war - while being, first and foremost, a strategic game on the English Civil War.

Some aspects of the existing block game format seem particularly suited for the ECW, namely the fog of war and the extended mechanism for resolving battles. However, I’ve added a number of new elements to reflect mid-17th century warfare or the particular nature of the English Civil War, of which the most important are:

- The card decks: the card system in This War Without an Enemy lies somewhere between the basic format of many block games and the more complex approach of most CDGs. There are separate decks for each player. One third of each deck consists of 4-Action-Point cards and the other two thirds of 2- and 3-AP cards which also have events, which occur automatically. APs are used for movement and recruitment. The events are a mixed set involving, among others, treachery (cities switching sides), attrition (loss of strength of blocks), club men (new blocks) and events modifying battles. Although most of the decks are in play throughout the game, there are new cards added and other cards removed every Year.
- Regionality and Leaders: most of the infantry and cavalry blocks have a regional designation. They cannot leave their home Region unless led by a Leader block or the Regional Leader for their home Region. Nor can blocks gain strength while outside of their home Region.
- Enhanced rules for Battles: rather than each block indiscriminately causing losses to the strongest enemy block, I have simulated the typical format of mid-17th century battles by requiring infantry blocks to attack opposing infantry blocks and cavalry to attack cavalry. Only once all enemy cavalry blocks have been eliminated can you use your cavalry to attack enemy infantry or artillery. In addition, there are specific rules covering artillery and for cavalry pursuit.
- New system for besieging and storming cities: while I have retained the double defence rule for blocks defending a city and the limits on how many blocks can engage in an attack, I wanted a more sophisticated approach to simulating assaults and so I added rules for artillery bombardment and created a slightly more complex approach to sallying. A completely new approach was needed for simulating the effects of long-term investment of a city. A surrender roll is made each turn, with the chance of surrender depending on the length of the siege, whether the city is a port or not, and how many of the defending blocks suffered from attrition.
- Adding of new blocks and recruitment: new blocks can be added from the Recruitment Pool through card play, while other blocks are added to the game at the end of each year (e.g. new leaders, the Scottish Covenanters) to reflect historical events. While strength can be added to existing blocks through card play, there is also recruitment that takes place at the end of each year. This is based on Regions: the more Cities and Areas a player controls within a Region, the more strength that player can add to blocks within that Region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE REVENGE OF THE GOLDFISH
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ηow many pages rulebook will have?

Im looking forward for your game,best wishes to find a publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook, including scenarios, has about 11,000 words. In its current format that is between 11 and 12 pages of text. It would be more if the publisher wanted a larger font. Historical commentary and examples of play would also increase the length. So, I think the published size would be 16-20 pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.