Subject: Oregon Trail Card Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
I didn't see this posted here so I thought I would share it. There is apparently an Oregon Trail Card game being released by Pressman. It is supposed to be a target exclusive.

I believe this reddit post was the first post. https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4uhos2/everyone...

Link to images
https://imgur.com/a/SrHIX

Link to news story
http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2016/07/the_oregon_trail_...

Looks like it is a coop game. I would be pretty excited to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.E. Pennypacker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Growing up, I loved the PC game. I may have to get this. No BGG page or reviews yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interest is piqued. I hope they've done a good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Wow, I remember playing that on the Apple II! Big floppy disks...

If the game is good it could be a good way to introduce my kids to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to place an order for in-store pickup at my local Target today.

From the research I've done, it sounds like a mostly roll dice and see what happens affair, but I'm willing to give it a shot for nostalgic purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wooderson
msg tools
mbmb
Target may be on to something with this. Couldn't find a copy and I asked an employee for help. She said, "Why is everybody looking for this game?"

She went in the back and brought out a box full of them. As she handed one to me, another person saw her and ran over and took one.

In general our Target has a pretty grim game selection. Maybe there are more customers in the area than they know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mossy tangle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Have you played it yet?

I'm wondering if it's actually a good game for my savvy 8YO's birthday, or if it's just for nostalgic laughs. If it's a good game in it's own right, I want to buy it before it sells out for birthday next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wooderson
msg tools
mbmb
Haven't had a chance to play yet. Read the rules (and there's at least one thing that could be clarified) and it definitely doesn't seem too difficult for an on-the-ball 8 y.o. (my son is 9).

It looks to be pretty light but well-themed.

Sorry I can't comment more intelligently on the game play yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any 'hunting' in this? From what I've read I've seen pretty much every aspect of the original game covered aside from hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Raynham
MA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Got to play a five player game yesterday.

It's very basic, but not bad. Essentially you create the "trail" by linking together trail cards one at a time (in the style of Saboteur or other games). Some will cause you to draw "calamity cards" which range from making you roll to see if you can repair a broken axle to snakebite or, of course, dysentery, causing instant death for the wagon party member that drew it. Once you manage to link together 50 cards, you make it to Oregon.

Everyone has supply items that can counter various calamities, so there's an element of strategy to keeping supplies around - they're hard to come by in-game.

All the trail cards are green on black, evoking the old graphics of the computer game on which it's based (as one of our group pointed out, it's a game based on a computer game based on the Oregon Trail, so it's got an extra layer of abstraction built in), with some reading "press space bar to continue" and pixelated graphics galore. Good stuff.

It is definitely not going to win any awards, but for those of us with the appropriate nostalgia, it certainly struck me as worth the asking price of $13 for a light card game. While it's a simple game, we still got into it enough to be hanging on die rolls to see whether we forded the river - much like I remember staring at the monitor, waiting on the edge of my seat to see if my poor wagon would sink this time. Besides, the whiteboard where you can write the players' names down is arguably worth the price of admission alone - on the reverse side are tombstones where you can write their names when they die! Hooray!

It isn't perfect - some of the calamity cards are not worded very well and led to a bit of confusion, but we were able to logic our way past the couple issues that we had.

Our group did win on our first attempt (two of us survived). We did so by deliberately allowing party members to die rather than sacrifice supplies, though (a strategy the rules themselves point out). Had we been trying to keep each other alive at all costs, I doubt we would have made it.

Oh, and as far as hunting, it does exist... kind of. There's at least one calamity card that allows you to "trade" bullets for food.

Hopefully a BGG page is forthcoming for this, so I can officially add it to my collection.

EDIT: I see there are FIVE pending entries for this, so I'll happily refrain from attempting to add it myself and wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wooderson
msg tools
mbmb
Ed, when did you draw new trail cards?

The rules seem to indicate that you only draw if you can't play any card or, presumably, if you don't have any left. But given the number of cards you start with-- and the number you need to make it to Oregon-- this seems problematic for a lower player count game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, they totally should have added a flicking element to this for the hunting. Could've included some wooden animals, shrubs, and rocks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great filler with fun, nostalgic, deadly play.

Played a couple 2 player games tonight and got almost halfway in both.
4 player looks much more survivable. we shall see.
For the full price it is worth it and the sale price makes it a deal to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Havent played the card game, love the video game.

IF it is "very light" is it appropriate to discuss with the creator ways to make it more euro style?

Or maybe add a hardcore expansion in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Raynham
MA
flag msg tools
mbmb
That is the only time you draw, but it didn't cause much of an issue in my game. There are no discarded trail cards, list ones go on the bottom of the deck, so there's no rush of running out.

That said, I don't know how a smaller game would play, but I suspect I'll find out.

One source of confusion was when one can play supply cards. At first, we thought it was at will, but I believe you're only allowed to play them to deal with calamities, and most are consumed by doing so. There is definitely ambiguity about several things in the rules, though.

Seems like the kind of game where house rules will be a factor, as I don't know how likely errata or an FAQ will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it readily available in store? Would be nice to pick up, even if just for nostalgia's sake. Does it play solo?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huff wrote:
Is it readily available in store? Would be nice to pick up, even if just for nostalgia's sake. Does it play solo?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

It says it is a target exclusive on the box.
I got mine from there after checking stock on their website.
They had not reset that area and the employee said it was going to grow quite a bit. She happily went in back and got a couple copies dug out for me in no time.

Likely on shelves chain wide now.

Just looked at the store I got mine and they are showing out of stock already so....

You could play 1 player easily. It shows 2-6 players in the rules but it also is designed to play down to the last survivor.

You could play either multiple characters or start with one and maybe 2 extra supplies.

4 players looks like the most hopeful number of players to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
Havent played the card game, love the video game.

IF it is "very light" is it appropriate to discuss with the creator ways to make it more euro style?

Or maybe add a hardcore expansion in?

I would say contact the publisher as their in-house team designed the game. http://www.pressmantoy.com/contact/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.E. Pennypacker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stock checker: http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker?sku=087-10-291...
Just put in your zip code.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Much appreciated. Hope to find one while I'm on vacation here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Manning
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went by my local Target today and asked for a copy of the game. They weren't on the shelves yet. The response I received...

"Why are so many people asking for this game about Oregon? Look, we've got them on a pallet in the back. They'll get put out when they get put out."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immortal Thanos wrote:

"Why are so many people asking for this game about Oregon? Look, we've got them on a pallet in the back. They'll get put out when they get put out."

Exceptional customer service
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immortal Thanos wrote:
I went by my local Target today and asked for a copy of the game. They weren't on the shelves yet. The response I received...

When given a response like that I always politely ask to talk with their manager.

If they want to keep their job they likely will hop to and serve your request, if not then you can talk to someone else and help them leave.

I did work in a distribution center of Targets and saw how things are actually moved to the shelf.
One persons choice of location for the pallet containing the games could make a huge difference in ability to dig out said pallet in a hurry for a customer.

My local store seems to be right on the mark every time I have asked for anything.

Each property has a personality and anyone can have a bad day / moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked one up today in Fort Myers. Left four behind on the shelf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huff wrote:
Picked one up today in Fort Myers.

You will die of dysentery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.